Pope: Faith is not just following dogma, but constant search for God

• Thread starter Thread starter AlanFromWichita
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlanFromWichita

I’m beginning to think I might just like this pope after all! 😛

Contrary to the image some cast of him as an insensitive rule-monger, I keep hearing about him saying things that I find encouraging about possible increased emphasis on apophatic traditions I think we need so much more of in the mainstream of Catholicism.

Source: Catholic News Service The article is short so here’s the whole thing:
CNS:
CASTEL GANDOLFO, Italy (CNS) – Faith is not just compliance with dogma, but entails an incessant search for the authentic face of God, Pope Benedict XVI said in his Aug. 28 Angelus talk. “Looking for Christ must be a constant yearning of believers, of young people and adults, of the faithful and their pastors,” the pope told pilgrims gathered in the courtyard of the papal summer residence in Castel Gandolfo. “Faith is not simply compliance with a complete set of dogmas, which would drown out” humanity’s thirst for God, he said. Rather, faith propels human beings on a path toward God, who is “always new in his infinity,” he said. The Christian, then, “is someone who both seeks and finds at the same time,” said the pope. This cycle of longing, searching and discovering is what makes the church “young, open to the future, and rich in hope for all of humanity,” he said.

I am very pleased to hear the Holy Father state that dogmas aren’t everything. Way to go, Papa Ratzi! 👍
Alan

[edit] Re: “always new in his infinity.” Does that sound to others a bit like the “Cloud of the Unknowing?” 😃

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
I’m beginning to think I might just like this pope after all! 😛

Contrary to the image some cast of him as an insensitive rule-monger, I keep hearing about him saying things that I find encouraging about possible increased emphasis on apophatic traditions I think we need so much more of in the mainstream of Catholicism.

Source: Catholic News Service The article is short so here’s the whole thing:

I am very pleased to hear the Holy Father state that dogmas aren’t everything. Way to go, Papa Ratzi! 👍
Wow, the Pope says these things and he gets a “high five.” I’ve been saying the same things here for months, and I’ve been getting blasted from every direction. Must be the clothes I wear. 😉

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing that, Alan.

Mike

Smelling salts. Quick! Smelling salts.
I’m experiencing vertigo here.

Many, many thanks, Alan,

Maureen

Here, here! I think this is an excellent reflection by His Holiness. So very much in so few words.🙂

Sidebar: Papa Ratzi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back