Popular anti-Catholic website author probably a fake

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eliza10
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eliza10

Guest
Forum member “jrsmith” wrote here, thinking he had found an anti-Catholic website so good it discouraged him. This was a great curiousity to me, since* I have never seen one *about which I could say that!

And I thought I’d seen them all! So I checked it out.

But this one did seem strangely different. Alleged ex-nun Mary Ann Collins seemed to have been so devout - once, and then, abanndoned her faith - for not a discernably good reason!

She did not seem like any other ex-Catholic I had *ever *encountered in real life (I know many, and well) or on the net. It was strange to find one who so oddly *did not reasonate with anyone else I’d known, *in real life or on the net.

*I could not get a feel for who the real Mary Ann Collins was. *She seemed almost - robotic. The usual theological flaws were there, but, they were eppressed so strangely flawlessly, almost - robotically. It was - surreal.

Collins seemed - too perfect. It was creepy. Her “voice” (as I read her website) was one of measured perfection. Stranger still was her mysterious privacy and her long list of rules against correspondance and strict restrictions about any theological discussion.

She seemed like “The Stepford Wife” of Ex-nuns.

Turns out, it appears - Collins is** the Stepford Wife of Ex-nuns! I found this website which, so unlike Collin’s website, rings of truth:

http://www.speroforum.com/site/print.asp?idarticle=1799

So - the astonishingly prolific, widely quoted, and never before seen “Mary Ann Collins” only burst onto the scene after 2001, just after I became Catholic. Thats how I’d missed her before.

The pseudo-person “Mary Ann Collins” is more proof that the only way to get a convincing witness against Catholicism is to make one up!
 
It took me about one paragraph to realize this person is nothing more than a tract-spewing anti-papist. This person, I guarantee, was never a nun, and probably never Catholic. The dead giveaway is in describing the monstrance of Eucharistic adoration as a daisy-and-stem. Although it may look like a daisy to the lay person, a Catholic would refer to it accurately as a sun-burst, not a daisy.

The prose descriptions are like reading a text book. Much too academic to be someone’s authentic testimony. I think it’s plain that this is likely a Protestant theologian, well-read on the Catholic faith, and willing to perpetrate a lie and slander the Church in order to spread his brand of faith.
 
It took me about one paragraph to realize this person is nothing more than a tract-spewing anti-papist…
Good for you. I read one paragraph and I knew something wasn’t right. I just couldn’t put my finger on what it was right away. And the more I read, the more confused I felt. I thought I must be missing something.
This person, I guarantee, was never a nun, and probably never Catholic…
I think you are right.
The dead giveaway is in describing the monstrance of Eucharistic adoration as a daisy-and-stem. Although it may look like a daisy to the lay person, a Catholic would refer to it accurately as a sun-burst, not a daisy…
Good point! Yes, what a strange thing to call it! No Catholic would say that. She writes like someone never exposed to a true Adoration, but yet “she” says she went to Adoration regularly as a nun. It seemed so unreal, not possible to me. I was truly puzzled. Then, when it was pointed out that Collins is known as a fake, it all made sense.
The prose descriptions are like reading a text book. Much too academic to be someone’s authentic testimony. .
Yes! The lack of authenticity was the first thing I noticed! It just didn’t sound like any real person! It sounded like a presentation, measured and created to dispell any suspicion.
I think it’s plain that this is likely a Protestant theologian, well-read on the Catholic faith, and willing to perpetrate a lie and slander the Church in order to spread his brand of faith.
Yes. And a real lack of good will there. And likely this autor has written before, and been refuted so much he/she is making his/her attacks under a guise they won’t have to answer to. And someone well-read in apologetics should be able to get a feel for whose “voice” this is. I woner if anyone has made any guesses?
 
Just wondering if anyone has any updates on Mary Ann Collins. I think she is a fake and it is actually a group of people with an agenda similar to that of Jack Chick.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top