Popular Devotions and SOME Priests=negative

• Thread starter Thread starter misericordie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

misericordie

I would like to know, why is it that some priests even the “conservative” ones fall into an arrogant attitude regarding popular devotions such as having more than one devotion?? For example they frown upon having many statues of saints, the Blessed Mother, different scapulars, etc. WHY??? If those who really use them with true faith only grow closer to God because of them?? I understand there are those who use all this but never go to church, no confess, nor practice Faith, Hope, and Charity. But what of those that have PURE faith in these sacramentals as LEADING them closer to God and holiness? I think these priests have fallen for the most part in an intellectual pride. I do know some good holy ones who support all these devotions, and at the same time they have DOCTORATES in theology from Roman universities. If anything, to oppose these devotions is really LACK of education and really ignorance.
What do you all think on this??
Thanks.

40.png
misericordie:
I would like to know, why is it that some priests even the “conservative” ones fall into an arrogant attitude regarding popular devotions such as having more than one devotion?? For example they frown upon having many statues of saints, the Blessed Mother, different scapulars, etc. WHY??? If those who really use them with true faith only grow closer to God because of them?? I understand there are those who use all this but never go to church, no confess, nor practice Faith, Hope, and Charity. But what of those that have PURE faith in these sacramentals as LEADING them closer to God and holiness? I think these priests have fallen for the most part in an intellectual pride. I do know some good holy ones who support all these devotions, and at the same time they have DOCTORATES in theology from Roman universities. If anything, to oppose these devotions is really LACK of education and really ignorance.
What do you all think on this??
Thanks.
I think it all has to do with personal preference.

Some people I know do over do it with devotions and I think when one starts to have to many it can cause problems with their spiritual life. They sort of get superstitious.

I don’t think this thread really serves any good purpose as you are speaking in very vague generalities about priests that you seem to disagree with.

40.png
ByzCath:
Some people I know do over do it with devotions and I think when one starts to have to many it can cause problems with their spiritual life. They sort of get superstitious.
I think this is the problem with some who have too many such devotions. Also, I think this was part of what Vatican II was supposed to combat. There was more danger of superstition prior to Vatican II.

I think it partly an occupational hazard. Priests tend to meet a lot of people who seem to devour popular devotions–and sometimes these people tend toward the superstitious, and may be rather credulous when it comes to unapproved private revelations. And there are some who combine all that with extreme scrupulosity.

Now there are others who practice devotions–even many devotions–privately and without calling attention to themselves. These are not the ones who come to the attention of priests! Certainly there is nothing wrong with private devotions as long as it doesn’t overpower the public liturgy of the church.

40.png
JimG:
I think it partly an occupational hazard. Priests tend to meet a lot of people who seem to devour popular devotions–and sometimes these people tend toward the superstitious, and may be rather credulous when it comes to unapproved private revelations. And there are some who combine all that with extreme scrupulosity.

Now there are others who practice devotions–even many devotions–privately and without calling attention to themselves. These are not the ones who come to the attention of priests! Certainly there is nothing wrong with private devotions as long as it doesn’t overpower the public liturgy of the church.
Actually Vatican II called for the maintaining of Popular devotions. This is a very OBJECTIVE analysis, thanks. Actaully most devotions were highly indulgenced by POPES such as the Saint Benedict medal and the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. If they all laed closer to God, and help us NOT sin, this is great. Why do some priests though IMMDIATELY see this as if it were something BAD??? Out of all the things such as some tv shows they should Preach against??

40.png
JimG:
privately and without calling attention to themselves

Certainly there is nothing wrong with private devotions as long as it doesn’t overpower the public liturgy of the church.

Good points, Jim.

Maria

40.png
JimG:
I’ve heard much the same from some priests - you’d be surprised at how many people want the priest to bless this or that devotional item to remove a curse or protect against the evil eye from their neighbor or whatever. Certainly not everyone who has private devotions is superstitious like that. But some people tend to treat the devotions like magic. Maybe some priests have grown weary of people taking things the wrong way, and just prefer not to talk about them anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back