Popular Drill music

• Thread starter Thread starter fivi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fivi

just wondering what do you all feel about the morality and effects of listening to violent artists such as king von, chief keef, pop smoke and 22gz. the rising popularity of this music concerns some members of the faith.

just wondering what do you all feel about the morality and effects of listening to violent artists such as king von, chief keef, pop smoke and 22gz. the rising popularity of this music concerns some members of the faith.
You know, I’ll bet people of faith wondered the same things about Bartok, Stravinsky, Prokoviev, etc. in their day.

No need to go back that far. How about Christians (Protestant and Catholic) and their opinion about the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, the Grateful Dead, or even Elvis Presley? Eeek!!!

Depends on who is listening. What might be fine for an adult might be detrimental for a child.

Depends on who is listening. What might be fine for an adult might be detrimental for a child.
My girls grew up on Raffi and similar musicians. Sigh. Raffi and his fellow gentle artists didn’t take away their work ethic or drive to succeed or ability to speak up. But he did help make them more reasonable in their daily lives.

I think you are unaware of what the lyrics in these songs are. Vastly different than anything y’all listened to when you were young

Ok so some posters obviously aren’t aware of these artists and are giving a general “Elvis” answer. But no, these artists glorify absolute evil. Music doesn’t have to be particularly religious. I say this as someone who grew up on 2 pac, biggie, nwa, 2 live crew, snoop, etc but this music shocks me. And not in a way that gives me any sort of feeling of justice, or holiness.

In short, immoral, sometimes extremely so. And I think you already know that. 😉 Which is good, it shows your soul is not desensitised.

I think you are unaware of what the lyrics in these songs are. Vastly different than anything y’all listened to when you were young
I know what kind of words you’re talking about. We live in a city where there is a shooting every day, and we’re on track to set a record for annual murders (it figures–it’s just one more 2020 thing).

I don’t think that anyone should spend a great deal of their time immersed in violence, either in music, movies, television, books, or anything else. Unless someone has been called to a profession that involves violence (e.g., military, police, detective, historian, researcher into human behavior, priest, etc.) I don’t think we should spend a lot of time and energy on violence.

There are plenty of wholesome outlets for aggressive energy–e.g., sports.

When our daughters were quite young, they got caught up in a television show called “Harmony Ranch.” It was created by and starred a delightful, extremely-talented group of musicians called “Riders in the Sky”–dedicated to doing the music of the cowboys (e.g., Tumblin’ Tumbleweed).

We have seen this group in person many times and so have our daughters, and they do a wonderful show–go see them if you at all like cowboy culture and music.

They wrote the music for Toy Story II, and won a Grammy for it.

HOWEVER–their show had a strange effect on our daughters–it made them so hyper and aggressive–that we stopped them from watching it. Today, there’s a joke in our family “If the movie makes you too hyper, it gets taken away.”

Now that they’re older, we all laugh about it, but to this day, we all understand why that show just wasn’t appropriate for our daughters at that time in their lives. They didn’t have the ability to correctly process it.

So yes, I’m on your side in this.

But I known that many people found the music of these contemporary composers like Bartok disturbing.

You know, I’ll bet people of faith wondered the same things about Bartok, Stravinsky, Prokoviev, etc. in their day.
No need to go back that far. How about Christians (Protestant and Catholic) and their opinion about the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, the Grateful Dead, or even Elvis Presley? Eeek!!!
I don’t recommend listening to the music the OP mentioned, but if you did, you would understand that there is no comparison between it and classical music or Elvis.

Kind of a question to everyone here( I still dont know how to tag everyone) do you think that this kind of music is the same thing as video games or movies that talk and portray violence, murder, robbery, and overall gang life in a “cool” way?

I would say that some of the artists you listen have similar lyrics and overall content. However they seem to be viewed in a more positive light. I wonder if these artists will be viewed in the same way

agreed. i am a bit conflicted on how i feel about this music. on one hand some of these artists are expressing their lives, struggles and stories. the music also sounds great in my opinion. on the other hand i feel like some artists are just evil and glorify violence. this music is also similar to any violent gang movies or the video game gta in my opinion. most catholics dont seem to have a problem with that yet alot of people in my parish have a problem with this music

I don’t think nwa et al are positive. It certainly is scandalous and I’m not closer to heaven because it tainted me.

The idea that such is even considered “music,” and the performers as “artists” speaks volumes about how far our culture has fallen, and how the majority of people have gone along with what Daniel Patrick Moynihan rightly called “defining deviancy down.”

it is music and also art. just cause you dont like it or it isnt made with a piano or guitar dosent make it invalid art. Drill also isnt signifying the fall of our culture, that is obsurd

I’ll bet I could come up with some art that you would not consider art. I’ll bet I could do that with many many things.

alright tell me some stuff that isnt art. music is always art tho even if it isnt good.

I do have to admit to some disappointment though. When I first read the title Popular Drill Music it brought back memories of my drill team days in the 1970s. I do NOT believe that any of this drill or trap or whatever would have ever been utilized then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back