Possible Insight: The "Paradox" of Scripture

  • Thread starter Thread starter 3DOCTORS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
3

3DOCTORS

Guest
Feedback, please, on this insight I had about the Bible. :bible1:

Before I start, a caveat. I confess to being a pretty amateur Scripture scholar at this point, just so you know. But I was struck by something when hearing the Gospel read the other day, and thinking about the Bible as a whole.

What popped into my mind was this: Particularly in the Gospels, but not limited to them entirely, can be found throughout Scripture, those things that people call “contradictions.”

In other words: Doesn’t it seem that for just about every point where perhaps the writer of a book or epistle, or Jesus in a parable, makes a point in one direction – say, for justice, there is another place where you can find an equally strong point made for the “opposite,” say, mercy?

Many find this tension of opposing points a stumbling block in their understanding of Scripture and the Faith. I submit that they are more like “Zen paradoxes” or something. Rather than contradict, they balance, taken as a whole. Which would make sense given that Jesus was the perfectly balanced man as well as being God, right?

I don’t know if this concept I’ve outlined here is something that is already recognized by professional Scripture scholars and I’m just putting it together in my own mind. Hopefully it is nothing too far-out-there, though. What are others’ thoughts?
 
How do you find “Justice” and “Mercy” to be contradictory to one another? Can you not have both, in almost any situation (if not in all situations)?

And, even if “Justice” were to be administered, you can always have “mercy” with repentance. A classic example of that is the “good thief”, who was executed by the Romans for his misdeeds (Justice under their law), but also received Mercy from Jesus (“this day I will see you in Paradise”).

Justice can be, and very often is, tempered with mercy.
 
Feedback, please, on this insight I had about the Bible. :bible1:

Before I start, a caveat. I confess to being a pretty amateur Scripture scholar at this point, just so you know. But I was struck by something when hearing the Gospel read the other day, and thinking about the Bible as a whole.

What popped into my mind was this: Particularly in the Gospels, but not limited to them entirely, can be found throughout Scripture, those things that people call “contradictions.”

In other words: Doesn’t it seem that for just about every point where perhaps the writer of a book or epistle, or Jesus in a parable, makes a point in one direction – say, for justice, there is another place where you can find an equally strong point made for the “opposite,” say, mercy?

Many find this tension of opposing points a stumbling block in their understanding of Scripture and the Faith. I submit that they are more like “Zen paradoxes” or something. Rather than contradict, they balance, taken as a whole. Which would make sense given that Jesus was the perfectly balanced man as well as being God, right?

I don’t know if this concept I’ve outlined here is something that is already recognized by professional Scripture scholars and I’m just putting it together in my own mind. Hopefully it is nothing too far-out-there, though. What are others’ thoughts?
It is well known although your example may not be the best and I wouldn’t use “Zen” for an explanation. It could cause needless confusion since Zen is another type of religion.

Faith alone vs faith+works for salvation is a classic one. Paul vs James. However, once examined it is found they do not differ at all, it is merely a point of emphasis in a particular letter to a particular congregation.

Scripture is God’s Word to men so it is flawless; it is our interpretations that are flawed except for the Church’s since it has the authority to interpret flawlessly.

You are right in saying that when a so called contradiction is examined one can find a balance or context elsewhere. Scripture must be taken as a whole in submission to the Church’s authority. Those not wanting to submit to Scripture will stop at the “contradiction” and use it as a defense.

The Catechism encourages all of us to be devoted to the Scriptures or “Scripture scholars”. We have the protection of the Church to check our scholarly results. God Bless.
 
Feedback, please, on this insight I had about the Bible. :bible1:
In other words: Doesn’t it seem that for just about every point where perhaps the writer of a book or epistle, or Jesus in a parable, makes a point in one direction – say, for justice, there is another place where you can find an equally strong point made for the “opposite,” say, mercy?

Many find this tension of opposing points a stumbling block in their understanding of Scripture and the Faith. I submit that they are more like “Zen paradoxes” or something. Rather than contradict, they balance, taken as a whole. Which would make sense given that Jesus was the perfectly balanced man as well as being God, right?
The Paradoxes of Christianity 🙂
 
It is well known although your example may not be the best and I wouldn’t use “Zen” for an explanation. It could cause needless confusion since Zen is another type of religion.

Faith alone vs faith+works for salvation is a classic one. Paul vs James. However, once examined it is found they do not differ at all, it is merely a point of emphasis in a particular letter to a particular congregation.
Yes, I was hesitant about the Zen analogy for that reason but couldn’t think of anything else that captured what I meant. 😊

The first post I made was out of a desire to share an “Aha moment” I had, and sometimes that’s hard to do unless you can open up your brain and invite someone inside - and that’d have to be right when you’re having the moment!

I guess what I do mean is that “apparent paradoxes” are actually reconcilable when you look at the “big picture”? Maybe that’s more to the point. And of course context of the writing is always necessary.
Scripture is God’s Word to men so it is flawless; it is our interpretations that are flawed except for the Church’s since it has the authority to interpret flawlessly.

**You are right in saying that when a so called contradiction is examined one can find a balance or context elsewhere. Scripture must be taken as a whole in submission to the Church’s authority. Those not wanting to submit to Scripture will stop at the “contradiction” and use it as a defense. **

The Catechism encourages all of us to be devoted to the Scriptures or “Scripture scholars”. We have the protection of the Church to check our scholarly results. God Bless.
The part I bolded captures what I was intending to express in the original post pretty well! 🙂

Yes, I do want to study and learn about the Scriptures and I’m thankful to have the Church to guide me in that. I just wanted to point out that I am not in Scott Hahn or Jeff Cavins’ league or even that of an undergrad theology student by any stretch! It’s probably obvious enough but for some reason I felt compelled to point it out lest anyone be unsure! LOL 😃

Also:

OldMedic – I don’t mean Justice and Mercy have to contradict each other, guess I didn’t explain that in enough detail. :o What I meant was, many people perceive Justice as punitive and harsh, and Mercy as compassionate and healing and so on – so they see an either/or rather than a both/and scenario. Does that make it a little clearer?

InnocentSmith

Thanks - one can’t go wrong with a little G. K. Chesterton! 👍
 
I believe you are more correct than many would realize.

The main thrust of the sensus plenior of scripture is to make God known.
God is Holy (represented to us in law, judgment, justice) and full of Grace (represented to us in Love, Mercy, etc) We cannot comprehend them existing together, yet they do.

For the sake of His creation, the parting of the waters in Genesis represents splitting His word into Law and Grace. (The waters above and below). Once we have understood God’s holiness by itself, and his grace by itself, they are once again reconciled by the Son on the cross (the firmament between the waters), so that we understand both aspects of God’s character.

The contradictions are but riddles which answers are found in Christ.
 
How do you find “Justice” and “Mercy” to be contradictory to one another? Can you not have both, in almost any situation (if not in all situations)?

And, even if “Justice” were to be administered, you can always have “mercy” with repentance. A classic example of that is the “good thief”, who was executed by the Romans for his misdeeds (Justice under their law), but also received Mercy from Jesus (“this day I will see you in Paradise”).

Justice can be, and very often is, tempered with mercy.
Justice and mercy “contradict” one another in terms of the relation between God and us sinners. That is, as sinners, we deserve God’s holy wrath (justice); but, rather than condemnation and punishment, God has given us His Son, Jesus Christ, to redeem us and to justify us eternally (mercy).

The beauty of mercy (Gospel) is found in its contrast to justice (Law).

In Christ,
FCCopleston
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top