W
WetCatechumen
Guest
Greetings!
Today I attended a Mass at my campus Newman Center. There were multiple priests in attendance.
The first lay communicant elected to receive on the tongue, and the host fell to the tile ground approximately 5.5 feet. The host was retrieved, and as near as I can tell, it was not thrown away. I was the next communicant. I waited for the priest to move to purify the tile. He did nothing. I presented myself for communion and received on the tongue, carefully sidestepping the area where the host had dropped.
Other communicants came up to receive, stepped near where the host had landed. They then stepped directly on the area where it fell as the approached to receive the most precious blood. All 15 or so communicants stepped directly on the area. In the course of returning the vessels to the side table, the area was repeatedly stepped on by the priests.
I left, but nothing was being done to the area.
Is this a case of negligent sacrilege? Merely a liturgical abuse?
I personally found it horrific, as did the young man who was attempting to receive when the host was dropped.
I cannot imagine that fragments of the host were not on the ground. I am also unsure as how to approach the pastor of the parish (the one who was distributing communion) concerning this issue. It is not my home parish, so I do not wish to cause too much disturbance, especially as this parish is so liberal that it my even suggesting to the pastor that I think he handled something inappropriately might just cause resentment, but no further respect for Christ present in the Eucharist.
Today I attended a Mass at my campus Newman Center. There were multiple priests in attendance.
The first lay communicant elected to receive on the tongue, and the host fell to the tile ground approximately 5.5 feet. The host was retrieved, and as near as I can tell, it was not thrown away. I was the next communicant. I waited for the priest to move to purify the tile. He did nothing. I presented myself for communion and received on the tongue, carefully sidestepping the area where the host had dropped.
Other communicants came up to receive, stepped near where the host had landed. They then stepped directly on the area where it fell as the approached to receive the most precious blood. All 15 or so communicants stepped directly on the area. In the course of returning the vessels to the side table, the area was repeatedly stepped on by the priests.
I left, but nothing was being done to the area.
Is this a case of negligent sacrilege? Merely a liturgical abuse?
I personally found it horrific, as did the young man who was attempting to receive when the host was dropped.
I cannot imagine that fragments of the host were not on the ground. I am also unsure as how to approach the pastor of the parish (the one who was distributing communion) concerning this issue. It is not my home parish, so I do not wish to cause too much disturbance, especially as this parish is so liberal that it my even suggesting to the pastor that I think he handled something inappropriately might just cause resentment, but no further respect for Christ present in the Eucharist.