D
Driver_8
Guest
About 4 years ago or so I was watching a video on youtube featuring a collage of photographs set to a song I really liked. In one of the photos one of the band members was wearing a really cool outfit that I almost immediately wanted to have. Shortly thereafter I acquired the clothes necessary to assemble the outfit and I still love it to this day.
Here’s where the moral conflict comes in. The video was not an official music vid (it was uploaded by a youtube user), the photograph in question might not have been covered under “fair use”, used legally, etc. and the song was a bootleg recording. I’m suddenly starting to think that I cannot in good conscience continue to wear and keep the outfit given the circumstances surrounding how I came to discover and purchase it. I should note that the clothes were acquired through morally acceptable means (it was purchased from a reputable outfitter).
Do we, as Catholics, have any moral obligation to dispose of/get rid of anything that may have been acquired (even by morally acceptable means) as a result of an illegal/immoral action? Another (and probably simpler) example of this would be seeing a movie for free illegally on the internet and then buying the DVD later on.
Here’s where the moral conflict comes in. The video was not an official music vid (it was uploaded by a youtube user), the photograph in question might not have been covered under “fair use”, used legally, etc. and the song was a bootleg recording. I’m suddenly starting to think that I cannot in good conscience continue to wear and keep the outfit given the circumstances surrounding how I came to discover and purchase it. I should note that the clothes were acquired through morally acceptable means (it was purchased from a reputable outfitter).
Do we, as Catholics, have any moral obligation to dispose of/get rid of anything that may have been acquired (even by morally acceptable means) as a result of an illegal/immoral action? Another (and probably simpler) example of this would be seeing a movie for free illegally on the internet and then buying the DVD later on.