Poverty cars?

• Thread starter Thread starter Bill_A
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill_A

I am in Poverty, I dont own a car. I gave it to Saint Vincents De Paul. I have a car I borrow for chores.

If I got SSI could I buy a new car? Like say a Hyundai? Right now I have a motorbike for Emergencies and a computer. I use the computer for her and religous studies. WHat Kinds of things could I have?

I visited Padrio Pios Cell replica. He had an Icon of Saint Paul , a Cruxifix, a small bed and a sink, a crown of Thorns. I have alot of junk and too many cloths. Every time I give away CLoths someone gives me more.

I Really have to much religous stuff…

Pios cell.

http://www.apostles.com/stpiowalldescriptions.jpg

you have discovered the happy truth that if you are not attached to things, you will never have to worry about obtaining life’s daily needs. Love your wall. If you think it is too much, consider donating to CCD items that are not contributing to your personal devotions.

so you have been there? how wonderful.

you say you are living in poverty by choice, do you mean by a vow of poverty? if so, did the group you are affiliated with or spiritual director give some counsel on what choosing poverty means? do they have rules on dress, where to live etc.?

guess our 92 Suburban with 320,000 miles qualifies, not even sure if it will get us the Church on Sunday.

40.png
puzzleannie:
so you have been there? how wonderful.

you say you are living in poverty by choice, do you mean by a vow of poverty? if so, did the group you are affiliated with or spiritual director give some counsel on what choosing poverty means? do they have rules on dress, where to live etc.?

guess our 92 Suburban with 320,000 miles qualifies, not even sure if it will get us the Church on Sunday.
I visited a replica of Padre Pios cell in Burto, Pennsylvainia. The real one is in Petrelciena Italy. I am not sure why I am living in poverty. This year I got health insurance for the first time in 10 years and New Glasses. I really love my New Glasses. I think maybe its the Lord Wish I live In poverty. Im not sure How long I can do it. I dont really have a spiritual director. My local Pastor likes to scream get a job but If I had a job, I wouldnt be where I am. Also, a Mini wage Mc Job does not really get people out of Poverty. So I have taken to minister to him and Have him mailed information from the Catholic Church on poverty.

Im not sure a New Car would ever qualify for poverty but after a year or two they certanly do start to look beat up.

Don’t buy a new car; you’ll lose thousands of dollars as soon as you drive it off the lot. Find a place that sells used cars **and ** stands behind what they sell.

Another thing, check into what the insurance is going to cost for the particular car you’re thinking about. Insurance on some cheap cars (like Hyundais) is surprisingly expensive, because people think of them as throw-aways and use them carelessly. You might want to compare insurance rates for Hyundais with rates for the small Chevies, for example.

DaveBj ('98 S-10 with 110k, 93 Aerostar with 160k)

Get a late 80’s to early 90’s Volvo 240 or 740. They have well-designed engines that will last you many hundreds of thousands of miles with only routine oil changes and maintainance (I recommend the turbos because the engine is lower compression and will last longer if the turbo is good). They only cost $1000-$2500, and you can readily find parts in junk yards if you are willing to look. Nobody will steal them, they are safe (our Volvos have saved me, 3 friends, and at least 6 family members), they handle like you wouldn’t believe, and insurance is low (a bit higher if you get the turbo model, or if you are a teenager like me;) ).

Eamon

Wow, how appropriate that this is my hundreth post.

Why do you have a thermometer by the heater? It seems it is too close to give a fair reading of the room.

I thought of you yesterday leaving work at the end of the day, when parents were picking up kids from our parish school. My secretary drives a green Ford Explorer, and she was standing there laughing with the other ladies. They were kidding her that she couldn’t find her car–there were at least a dozen green Ford Explorers on the street and in the parking lot, along with lots of SUVs by other companies. She wasn’t worried, tho, her was the one with the dented bumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back