Power of Sacramentals - Crucifix

• Thread starter Thread starter asnlady
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

asnlady

What power does a blessed crucifix have? It seems the church downplays its power but we lay people seem to believe it has a great deal of power. What do you think?

Sacramentals, such as crucifixes, have no power to confer grace, but they are reminders of our baptismal commitment and helps in meditation. When we bring religious objects to be blessed we are actually asking the priest to bless us as we use them. That is their only “power”.

I remember hearing the story that just the shadow of St. Peter could heal people. And in the news recently JPII is trying to return a miraculous icon to Russia. Imagine if the Holy Grail or Christs cross was found? Do you think this is just idolitry? hmmm im just thinkn out loud… hmmmmm

I heard the St. Helen found pieces of Christ’s cross when she searched the Holy Land. But maybe the was wrong…

I find that having a crucifix in a room (which I don’t but have been in rooms that do) gives me a feeling of protection as well. The same with the rosary, I usually have it beside me when I sleep. I feel protected. When I was a kid, I watched a really scary movie once and slept with my bible…I know that is not what these things are for but, I always feel better when they are around…you know what I mean?

the crucifix itself has no power, it is an inanimate created object, but the event it commemorates has all power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back