Practicing Catholic...?

• Thread starter Thread starter BenRosa
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BenRosa

What is that anyway…even more, what is it’s opposite, the non-practicing Catholic? I here these terms tossed-about from time to time in the media and even among acquaintances, and always found them to be odd. Is this a designation one must declare upon admitting they are Catholic?

May His peace be with you all…

It is most commonly used to distinguish if someone still goes to Mass every Sunday and Holy Days of Obligation.

If someone is going to Mass every week, they probably still consider themselves to be “Catholic”, even if there are other aspects of the faith they reject (birth control, extra-marital sex, etc.).

Non-practicing can be someone who still considers themself to be “Catholic” from a cultural or family viewpoint. They may have been raised in the faith, for example. But they don’t bother with weekly Mass or any other aspects of the faith. There are “non-practicing Catholics” who still get worked up over wanting to be married in a Catholic ceremony simply because of familial or traditional reasons, for example, even though they haven’t seen the inside of a Church since confirmation.

40.png
rfk:
It is most commonly used to distinguish if someone still goes to Mass every Sunday and Holy Days of Obligation.

If someone is going to Mass every week, they probably still consider themselves to be “Catholic”, even if there are other aspects of the faith they reject (birth control, extra-marital sex, etc.).

Non-practicing can be someone who still considers themself to be “Catholic” from a cultural or family viewpoint. They may have been raised in the faith, for example. But they don’t bother with weekly Mass or any other aspects of the faith. There are “non-practicing Catholics” who still get worked up over wanting to be married in a Catholic ceremony simply because of familial or traditional reasons, for example, even though they haven’t seen the inside of a Church since confirmation.
This is pretty much how I understand it also.

Peace in Christ,
Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com

A practicing Catholic is one, who at the minimum, keeps the precepts of the Church. The Catechism of the Catholic Church lays them out in the following way:
**II. THE PRECEPTS OF THE CHURCH **
2041 The precepts of the Church are set in the context of a moral life bound to and nourished by liturgical life. The obligatory character of these positive laws decreed by the pastoral authorities is meant to guarantee to the faithful the very necessary minimum in the spirit of prayer and moral effort, in the growth in love of God and neighbor:
2042 The first precept (“You shall attend Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation and rest from servile labor”) requires the faithful to sanctify the day commemorating the Resurrection of the Lord as well as the principal liturgical feasts honoring the mysteries of the Lord, the Blessed Virgin Mary, and the saints; in the first place, by participating in the Eucharistic celebration, in which the Christian community is gathered, and by resting from those works and activities which could impede such a sanctification of these days.
The second precept (“You shall confess your sins at least once a year”) ensures preparation for the Eucharist by the reception of the sacrament of reconciliation, which continues Baptism’s work of conversion and forgiveness.
The third precept (“You shall receive the sacrament of the Eucharist at least during the Easter season”) guarantees as a minimum the reception of the Lord’s Body and Blood in connection with the Paschal feasts, the origin and center of the Christian liturgy.
2043 The fourth precept (“You shall observe the days of fasting and abstinence established by the Church”) ensures the times of ascesis and penance which prepare us for the liturgical feasts and help us acquire mastery over our instincts and freedom of heart.
The fifth precept (“You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church”) means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability.
The faithful also have the duty of providing for the material needs of the Church, each according to his own abilities.

40.png
rfk:
Non-practicing can be someone who still considers themself to be “Catholic” from a cultural or family viewpoint.
That’s interesting…never thought of being “Catholic” in a cultural/family context before because if one is not a “practicing Catholic” per the above definitions, I’m not sure what else that involves regarding how that person operates in their culture/family and Catholicism. Are we talking about sending-out Christmas cards and traditional things like that?

Seems to me, that these designations ought to be avoided at all costs and not just for Catholics, but any other religion. These designations take-away from those who truely follow the teachings because they believe and adds to those who don’t (but say they are Catholic).

40.png
BenRosa:
That’s interesting…never thought of being “Catholic” in a cultural/family context before because if one is not a “practicing Catholic” per the above definitions, I’m not sure what else that involves regarding how that person operates in their culture/family and Catholicism. Are we talking about sending-out Christmas cards and traditional things like that?

Seems to me, that these designations ought to be avoided at all costs and not just for Catholics, but any other religion. These designations take-away from those who truely follow the teachings because they believe and adds to those who don’t (but say they are Catholic).
The idea that those who aren’t as faithful as others in the observation of their faith are therefore not of that faith is a Protestant notion–one that leads to people judging each other’s actions and motivations. Catholics believe that each member of the Church is a member unless and until he makes a definite break with the Church by taking membership in another communion or by apostacy. And even in such cases, he may be restored to membership in the Church if he repents and his bishop restores him. We aren’t so quick to write people off. Remember the parable of the Prodigal Son–there is always hope that a non-practicing Catholic will awaken to the faith and become devout in his life and practice of the faith.

40.png
Della:
The idea that those who aren’t as faithful as others in the observation of their faith are therefore not of that faith is a Protestant notion–one that leads to people judging each other’s actions and motivations. Catholics believe that each member of the Church is a member unless and until he makes a definite break with the Church by taking membership in another communion or by apostacy. And even in such cases, he may be restored to membership in the Church if he repents and his bishop restores him. We aren’t so quick to write people off. Remember the parable of the Prodigal Son–there is always hope that a non-practicing Catholic will awaken to the faith and become devout in his life and practice of the faith.
If I read it right, the original post was not about Catholics as distinguished from non-Catholics, but practicing Catholics as distinguished from non-practicing. It’s an important distinction.

40.png
Della:
The idea that those who aren’t as faithful as others in the observation of their faith are therefore not of that faith is a Protestant notion–one that leads to people judging each other’s actions and motivations.
That is a good point…

We must always hold to the hope that everyone will one day, no matter what we see externally, come to realize and desire, our Father’s will.

All great replies…thank you.

40.png
Fidelis:
If I read it right, the original post was not about Catholics as distinguished from non-Catholics, but practicing Catholics as distinguished from non-practicing. It’s an important distinction.
Yes, but I wasn’t addressing the original post but BenRosa’s last sentence here:
These designations take-away from those who truely follow the teachings because they believe and adds to those who don’t (but say they are Catholic).
Which he acknowledged in his post following mine. 🙂

40.png
BenRosa:
Sometimes a practical example can help illustrate what I mean by “cultural/familial”. I come from a large Irish Catholic family. I have a brother who married a protestant. During his marriage, he has simply stopped practicing his faith. He hasn’t gone to weekly Mass for over 20 years. For that matter, he hasn’t even gotten around to baptizing his children.

Yet, if someone asked him what his religion is, he still would answer “Catholic”. When my aunt died last spring, he still went to the funeral Mass and received Holy Communion (I know, I know, don’t get sidetracked on this one). He does, as a matter of fact, send out Christmas cards.

I simply try to be a good example, and I pray for him. After all, he is simply one confession away from being right back in the arms of Mother Church.
Why? He is as Catholic as you or I. He may have more sin on his soul today than you or I (although none of us can gauge another’s sin), but we are all sinners and imperfect Catholics.

I’ve known “reverts” who had powerful conversion experiences and returned to the faith with great gusto and devotion. At one time, I was as far outside the faith as my brother. I’ve seen what God’s grace has done in my life, and I still hope and pray for him.

My understanding (and I believe this is in canon law) is a person remains a Catholic until he or she publically repudiates the faith. Just stopping attending wouldn’t do it (though he ceases to become non-practicing as stated in the precepts I listed in a previous post), but becoming a member of another Church would, such as putting your name on the roll of Good Book Baptist down the street, and attending there instead of mass.

I thought the term refered to the “C & E” Catholics - that is those Catholics who show up for Chrismas and Easter and weddings and funerals!

Practice makes perfect, so I think I’ll keep practicing and maybe someday I’ll get it right!

Peace and all good,

Thomas2

Practicing Catholics are the largest Christian denomination in the USA. Non- practicing Catholics are the 2nd largest Christian group in the USA. The Baptists are a distant 3rd. at 18%. The harvest is great but the workers are few. We are called to reach out to those who no longer practice and let them know that the door is always open.

Deacon Tony SFO

That’s one of those questions that when answered, says a lot more about the one who answers it than the question does. “Practicing Catholic” in the eyes of some, means somebody who attends to all the ceremonial obligations and obeys all the regulations laid down by Church authority. Anyone who does less than this such a person would call a “non-practicing Catholic”, a “cafeteria Catholic”, or some other denigrating epithet. Those who do should be careful–Jesus himself denounced those who attended to their ceremonial obligations assidiously, but who overlooked “justice, mercy and faithfulness”.

40.png
PilgrimJWT:
Anyone who does less than this such a person would call a “non-practicing Catholic”, a “cafeteria Catholic”, or some other denigrating epithet.
Baloney. I am not denigrating my brother in any way in the post above, but the FACT that he doesn’t practice his faith is simply that, a FACT. Trying to make the case that anyone discussing FACTS are somehow being “judgmental” or “denigrating” is simply another form of political correctness run amok.
40.png
PilgrimJWT:
Those who do should be careful–Jesus himself denounced those who attended to their ceremonial obligations assidiously, but who overlooked “justice, mercy and faithfulness”.
Actually, I think attending Mass and baptizing one’s children are far more than mere “ceremonial obligations”, and strike to the very essence of practicing our Faith.

My view of what a practicing Catholic is has changed a lot over the years. I used to think it meant just going to Mass every Sunday and on our Holy Days and Confession once a year. When I came back to the Church six years ago I started going to Confession much more regularly and started becoming more aware of how I actually practiced my faith. I have realized that even a year ago I was not practicing my faith as deeply as I am now, and this all has to do with my Confessions and Penances. With all the practice I am becoming a much better Catholic!!

Ya know, sometimes I look around me and say to myself “…practicing WHAT? certainly NOT Catholicism…” Am I being “judgmental?” or assessing the value of getting friendly with those around me? I am new to the Church and have a long way to go, and since I’ve frequently moved around since entering the Church, getting cozy with folks don’t come easy.

Bottom line to me is that if you want a better Church, BE a better Catholic!

Be patient with me, God isn’t finished with me yet!

For all those who think that responding to a question like this is being judgemental, please don’t take what I say personal. I apologize if I offend!

Peace and all good,

Thomas2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back