Praryer - Correct posture?

• Thread starter Thread starter emom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emom

I am starting to prayer again and I haven’t actually - kneeled down, folded my hands and made the sign of the cross. I know this is the best way - but I don’t feel comfortable doing this. This way actually detered me and got me doing it less. I do not verbally prayer either - I am quiet and like to say it in my thoughts. Many people suggests that I still kneel. Am I committing a mortal sin by not following the proper protocol? I pray in bed or in my car.

God hears your prayers whatever posture you decide on. Only in public prayer does the Church prescribe certain postures and gestures. I have bad knees, so I generally do not kneel for long periods for prayer, such as the rosary; I sit.

If a posture is distracting or painful, don’t use it for private prayer. Just pray! 🙂

40.png
emom:
I am starting to prayer again and I haven’t actually - kneeled down, folded my hands and made the sign of the cross. I know this is the best way - but I don’t feel comfortable doing this. This way actually detered me and got me doing it less. I do not verbally prayer either - I am quiet and like to say it in my thoughts. Many people suggests that I still kneel. Am I committing a mortal sin by not following the proper protocol? I pray in bed or in my car.
I don’t think you’re committing a mortal sin by not kneeling. I think God cares more about what’s in your heart than how your body is positioned. I lie down when I pray because when I kneel I am physically uncomfortable and it distracts me from praying.

The best position is one of having a humble and a contrite heart as you pray.

Don’t get caught up in the physical posture thing! of course find one that is comfortable, but make sure the posture of the heart is also looked after. This is what God sees after all.

It is to the humble heart that the eyes of God are drawn.

40.png
emom:
there is no protocol for private prayer, you don’t have to verbalize that is not the only intellectual, spiritual activity or means of communication humans have with God. You assume the posture that to you seems most reverent, most conducive to prayer, and pray anywhere you are when you are moved to pray. the only sin is not to pray, and it is nobody’s business how and when you pray. the only one you might respond to is your spiritual director who may have valid reasons for giving you advice on prayer.

I pray laying down. St Ignatius (sp?) said this was his favorite position.

Tim

I almost never pray kneeling anymore, unless I am in lament over something. I usually pray standing or even strolling.

When I stand still I try to face east, I could raise my arms in the orans posture (palms out and up, which I like very much, it feels right) but usually I am praying with the aid of a book so my hands are together.

I also pray lying down, flat on my back in the darkness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back