Pray to which patron saint for work?

• Thread starter Thread starter mark_a
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
St. Joseph the Worker-----but there are patron saints for all kinds of work—what kind of work are you looking for? I was a lab tech & the patron of lab techs is st. albert

Hey Mark,

We have exchanged posts before so I feel like I know you. Can I be honest with you?

This is what I have learned. I went from $60,000 a year, got laid off and now I am a bagboy at the grocery store. Happens to lots of people. After a year of struggle and prayer I discovered the Bible says “be as wise as a serpent and as harmless as a dove”. In other words, God expects you and me use our own wisdom and knowledge to make our way in the world. The Bible also says “work out your salvation in fear and trembling”. To me it also means “work out your career in fear and trembling.” St Paul says there is profit to be made in any career, so not to worry.

Prayer to St Joeseph is wonderful and worthwhile and Jesus may respond to you thru St Joeseph. But don’t ever stop trying as hard as you can using you God given skills.

This too will pass. Good luck

St. Cajetan whose feast we just celebrated August 7th is considered a patron saint of job seekers. we use him at work as the patron saint of our Human Resources department.

St. Joseph is a great intercessor, and so many more…St Rita, St. Jude, St Anthony, St. Theresa, St Padre Pio, all have been known to help out in difficult situations.

St. Anthony may be the Saint of missing things, but he is also well know for performing miracles through Jesus for near anything.

And the very best thing you can do for yourself? Eucharistic Adoration and stay close to the sacraments. If you find you have some extra time, seek out daily mass.

God Bless you and give you relief soon.

I got laid off 3 years ago and haven’t been able to find permanent work since. Salaried jobs, or “adult jobs” as I call them, I’ve had no luck finding, especially as I have a very peculiar set of skills and am useless and uninterested in anything else. And I really have no desire to change fields, especially since there’s very little I’m good at.

But the “teenager jobs,” the dead-end, low-wage, hourly jobs that I’ve wasted most of my life doing, won’t hire me either. They say I’m overqualified and overeducated, that they know I’d be bored by the work and would leave the minute I found something better. All that IS true, but nevertheless…

I have no credit because I’ve always paid for things in cash. The only thing that’s kept me off the streets is help from my mom, and even she is running out of money now. Plus I feel like less than a man having to get parental support at the age of 40. At least I don’t have a wife or kids to support.

This spring my apartment complex burned in the second-worst fire in my city’s history, and though my apartment was spared even smoke or water damage, I had to make an expensive move elsewhere in town.

The on-going problem has made me a ball of stress. Friends and relatives keep their distance because I’m so depressing to be around.This problem has taken a major toll on my physical and mental health. Medication hasn’t really helped, and now my doctor tells me he wants me to get an MRI this week. Obviously, with no insurance, a procedure like this costing thousands is gonna be a killer.

And yes, I’ve tried every conceivable method of finding work, including many techniques you’d not have heard of. I’ve pretty much given up hope of finding anything, at least that will pay me adequately. And at the age of 40 I am painfully aware of how much time has been wasted and how little time I have left. It just seems a crime I can’t exercise the talents God has so graciously granted me.

Sorry to be such a whiner.

I can appreciate the way you feel because I’ve been through something very similar myself. After I went back to school to qualify for the field where I always wanted to work, I was unable to find a full-time job in it and settled for something else. While I have a decent job now in a related area, it’s still not my vocation and I would gladly give it up tomorrow if I won the Powerball. 😉 Therefore, one valuable thing I’ve learned is to look at my job as a means of survival & not what defines me as a person - we Americans have a really skewed attitude in this respect. I’ve learned from my friends & family in Italy, who look at work as something that needs to be done to eat & pay bills and not the sum & substance of one’s existence. It helps…

As for a patron saint, I can only add St. Joseph. I know there’s another specifically for people seeking employment but I can’t name him or her offhand. I also prayed to St. Jude when I was feeling really frustrated with myself. Be patient and things will get better.

Pray to your father in heaven and have faith that a certain job is yours. Read all of Hebrews 11.

thanks

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. Maybe we can all pray for each other.

To Seeker,

How about going back to school? Since you have no money you can get govt loans and financial aid to pay for it. Dont ask your mother for money, just get loans and financial aid. Believe me the govt will lend you or give you a grant. I would say try something in the medical field. Learn to operate an Xray machine or handle medial records. After a 6 months to a year of school you will have plenty of opportunities. I know its hard to overcome the depression, but I sure if you work at being positive, get some retraining everything will work out. Consider it to be a project to undertake!

mark a:
Can any of you steer me in the right direction?

Thanks.
mark a.
Dear Marka:

Take a look at your biggest need in your life right now=–and pray to God he might lead you to the patron saint for you. HE will. Look at the Catholic Bookstore, and you’ll undoubtedly find them! It sure worked for me----and totally coincidentally my patron saint that I found after prayer–turns out has my same birthday as her feast day–unbelievable! God surely works in miraculous ways friend~~

ST. Anthony has helped with many lost things, even lost jobs (layoff, union problems) and lost computer files. He got so fed up with me bugging him I think he appointed a special angel to keep track of my keys. But in all the years I have relied on him, I am not sure if I am praying to St. Anthony of Egypt or Padua. One was a hermit, one was a Franciscan. Seeker, St. Jude truly is the one to turn to when things seem totally hopeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back