Prayer and fasting--question for you

  • Thread starter Thread starter whatevergirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. I feel as if God has called me to fast for the next day, and realized when I felt this call that it was nearly sundown. With the significance of the sundown-to-sundown rituals of the OT, I feel it highly appropriate to engage in full fasting (only drinking water) for the next 24 hours. Has anyone else heard of similar fasting procedures, or know if they are mentioned in scripture?
*I tihnk this is an excellent question, and I look forward to the replies. I had a few aunts when I was growing up, who fasted during Lent in this way, a few times per week…only drinking water. (following the sundown to sundown rituals that you speak of) *
 
For two years, I followed the fasting book from Sr. Emmanuel. I only ate bread and water (and a little coffee) on Weds and Friday. Per the book, fasting was supposed to stop divorce. It did not. My wife filed divorce and remarried three weeks after the divorce was final. I gave up my fasting.
 
For two years, I followed the fasting book from Sr. Emmanuel. I only ate bread and water (and a little coffee) on Weds and Friday. Per the book, fasting was supposed to stop divorce. It did not. My wife filed divorce and remarried three weeks after the divorce was final. I gave up my fasting.
*It states in that book that if you fast, if you’re going through a divorce, it will "guarantee’’ to stop it? :confused: I am so sorry to hear that about your wife…that must have hurt terribly. 😦 You’re in my prayers. *
 
*With 2010 right around the corner, I would like to grow in the way of prayer and fasting. I pray the Rosary daily, and try to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, as well. I’m curious as to how I could incorporate fasting into my ‘‘schedule,’’ and would like some of your suggestions. When you fast, do you follow the Lent type of fast–two small meals, and a regular one at dinner (no snacking in between)? Or do you follow a different fast? Also, on days of fasting, do you pray different prayers on those days? I have fasted before, but usually follow it during Lent, and I seem to have more clarity then. :o

Look forward to hearing how I can make the most of this. Thanks!*
I still try to follow ‘meatless’ Fridays - and that includes NO fish or seafood, either. Vegetable chop suey for me!! Or even grilled cheese sandwich with soup.

During Lent, I add Wednesdays to the fast, also as ‘meatless.’ Know what? That’s all I can handle.
 
I still try to follow ‘meatless’ Fridays - and that includes NO fish or seafood, either. Vegetable chop suey for me!! Or even grilled cheese sandwich with soup.

During Lent, I add Wednesdays to the fast, also as ‘meatless.’ Know what? That’s all I can handle.
*Hi peary–that’s funny, I do the same during Lent–add Wednesdays to the mix. Part of trying to achieve the virtue of temperance in my life, I would like to add something in place of the bad habits I am trying to banish from my life. If that makes sense, and so on the days of fasting, in addition to prayer, I want to do something that replaces if you will, the bad habits, so that I will be more likely to not turn back to them. Thanks for your (name removed by moderator)ut here. *
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top