Prayer cloths/blankets and the Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter Annemariels
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Annemariels

Guest
I made a prayer blanket for a young child who is in the hospital and am wondering if anyone knows passages in the Bible that support the use of prayer cloths/blankets.

Also, can you help me create a beautiful prayer for a group of ten 14-year-old girls to pray over the blanket before we deliver it to the child?
 
from what i understand the the prayer blanket is made while prayers are said for those who will recieve the blanket. And the blanket will full of prayers for he/she to get healing.

while i dont know much about this i do believe that the greek orthodox monastics when making prayer ropes, that they will sell to help the monastery will say prayers for the person who will recieve the prayer rope.

the two practices seem similar and i dont really see anything wrong with it.
 
Acts 19:11-12:
11 So extraordinary were the mighty deeds God accomplished at the hands of Paul
12 that when face cloths or aprons that touched his skin were applied to the sick, their diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them.
usccb.org/nab/bible/acts/acts19.htm

I have seen this verse referenced with respect to prayer cloths which have been touched to first-class relics of saints; the cloths are then given to the faithful for healing.
 
Hi all,
I am an adult in RCIA. Was brought up Baptist. This post reminds me why I love CAF so much. The class has spoken about prayer but has not touched this subject. The scripture referenced in Acts is the same I would have chosen.

Taking the easy route instead of searching online sources and doing a lot of reading I’d like to ask – what is a first-class relic verses other relics?
and
does anyone here have knowledge of prayer blankets, ropes, etc being used during a Healing Mass? I ask because I’ve been to a few and not noticed them. Of course if such religious articles are primarily for the sick bed/bed of affliction that is understandable.

Thanks - online searches can be an obstacle course there are so many sites presenting themselves as authorities with content contradicting web addresses, description, etc.
Renee
 
Hi all,
I am an adult in RCIA. Was brought up Baptist. This post reminds me why I love CAF so much. The class has spoken about prayer but has not touched this subject. The scripture referenced in Acts is the same I would have chosen.

Taking the easy route instead of searching online sources and doing a lot of reading I’d like to ask – what is a first-class relic verses other relics?
and
does anyone here have knowledge of prayer blankets, ropes, etc being used during a Healing Mass? I ask because I’ve been to a few and not noticed them. Of course if such religious articles are primarily for the sick bed/bed of affliction that is understandable.

Thanks - online searches can be an obstacle course there are so many sites presenting themselves as authorities with content contradicting web addresses, description, etc.
Renee
Hi Renee 👋

I found this on catholic.com’s This Rock magazine:

First of all, what are relics? Relics are the remains or possessions of holy persons and are divided into three categories. First-class relics consist of the bodily remains of saints and the instruments of Christ’s Passion, such as the True Cross. Second-class relics are personal belongings of saints, such as articles of clothing, or the instruments used in the torture and death of martyrs. Third-class relics are any objects which have come into physical contact with first- or second-class relics.
Here is the link to the full article: catholic.com/thisrock/1993/9306fea1.asp

I have never been to a healing mass, however a few months ago, I went to a feast-day mass honoring the patron saint of our diocese, and at the end of the mass, we were given the opportunity to come forward and kiss a reliquary containing one of her bones. I believe some people also brought rosaries and other items which they touched to the reliquary.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top