Prayer Journals

• Thread starter Thread starter lakeview
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lakeview

Does anyone know of a good prayer journal? I found one whose layout I liked, but it was a bit New Agey! Maybe something based on the Church Year (advent, lent, Easter, etc.)?

Brian

You might consider a completely empty journal. Used alongside a Daily Missal, and with entries labeled with the correspondent feast and holy days, a blank journal might inspire you to deeper contemplation of the daily readings, prayers, and lives of saints who are remembered on the dates of your entries. And if you become a saint, these journals would be valuable to future Catholics for their insights and illuminations. :cool:

Fidelis,

I looked up your reference, but it was not very clear that there is space to write upon for each calendar day. It looks like a beautiful spiritual help that would enable us, not only to follow the daily readings, but enter our own insights about them.

For many years, I have kept a blank journal, and wrote all of God’s teachings and lessons to me as they occurred. With my memory being rather unreliable, it has been invaluable in reading the history of my journey with God. It never fails to provide fresh inspiration and renewal of purpose.

As Cherub wrote, it will be useful when I am canonized someday :p. (I hope you don’t take this pun seriously!)

Carole

40.png
Cherub:
You might consider a completely empty journal. Used alongside a Daily Missal, and with entries labeled with the correspondent feast and holy days, a blank journal might inspire you to deeper contemplation of the daily readings, prayers, and lives of saints who are remembered on the dates of your entries. And if you become a saint, these journals would be valuable to future Catholics for their insights and illuminations. :cool:
I teach 8th Grade CCD and have my students journaling in this fashion, rather than a daily missal, I use scriptural references that apply to that weeks particular lesson. My students have done quite well with it and, combined with what they’re learning in class, are really growing in the Spirit.

40.png
Joysong:
Fidelis,

I looked up your reference, but it was not very clear that there is space to write upon for each calendar day. It looks like a beautiful spiritual help that would enable us, not only to follow the daily readings, but enter our own insights about them.
Thanks for noting this. The website doesn’t give a very good description but, yes, most of the space on each page is taken up by blank lines on which to journal. My wife used one a number of years ago and there was more than enough space to write in.

Can someone elaborate on this practice?

I had an acquaintance who mentioned journaling but I am unfamiliar with the practice. I am not even quite sure that what he was doing is what this thread is about.

What are the goals and methods used to do this journaling? Is this an old practice? or perhaps inspired by the practice of saints of the past?

Dear Hesychios,

There really isn’t a required format to journaling. Basically, it is just a “record” in a journal of anything you want it to be. For those making a spiritual journal, it could be a record of God’s teachings to the individual, a record of prayer intentions, a record of a particular subject as it unfolds in greater depth and understanding, etc.

The journal itself may be just a bound book with blank pages (it helps greatly to number them), or the type mentioned by Fidelis above with daily readings from Mass, or other scripture verses.

Pope John Paul XXIII wrote “Journal of a Soul” which is in print for the faithful. He recorded all of his religious experience on a daily or semi-weekly basis (as needed) beginning with his studies in the seminary. It is a beautiful insight into the soul of this saintly Pope.

I have combined both prayer intentions and teachings in my journal and each entry is dated. When I ask for help with an intention or teaching from God, I write the day I formed the petition, and when the answer comes, I refer back to it and note the answer is on page (X).

Sometimes I just mention things that others have done which really edified me and ask God to help me imitate their virtue. Occasionally a scripture will bring new light, and this is noted also. This little “record” is so personal, almost like a diary, that you can design your entries to be whatever you find helpful in your spiritual life.

Happy journalling,
Carole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back