Prayer needed for someone trying to find faith (me)

  • Thread starter Thread starter NilDesperandum
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NilDesperandum

Guest
Hi!

I’ve been doing the dance with the Catholic Church for about ten years, now. I wasn’t raised Christian, and as an adult have gone to RCIA twice, and dropped out when I got about 3/4 of the way through, both times.

I feel the pull to believe, I’ve gone to church, even on weekday mornings to pray the Rosary before the daily Mass, which I would then stay for. I can’t tell you how many books I’ve downloaded and read on belief in God, the Church, faith, etc. (heck, you can see by my reg date that I’ve been lurking here for two years!) It all comes back to the whole point of “I have not personally witnessed any evidence for God,” or, better phrased, “at least witnessed something that would lead me to believe that it was God and not nature that was responsible”; the whole science/empirical evidence vs. faith thing. Yet, I still feel drawn (Argument from Desire, perhaps?) to seek out God, but it is so tiring, and I feel like I’m spinning my wheels.

The fact that I’ve spent so much time and energy on this is what’s most frustrating, and unlike so many people out there who don’t believe, I desperately WANT to believe.

I’ll keep working things on my end, but if you all might be able to throw a little prayer or advice my way, I’d very much appreciate it. I’ll take all the help I can get at this point!

Thanks for your time!

ND
 
Praying for you and your faith journey.

Hail Mary…

Our Father…

Glory Be…

I feel compelled to tell you how very impressed I am with your perseverance and your desire to believe. Faith is a gift and I truly believe it will come to you in time. Unfortunately God’s time usually does not coincide with our own time. When all is said and done, I think you continuing to seek God through your disbelief means so much more than those of us with deep held faith who on a regular basis ignore Him. May God bless you and your journey home to Him.
 
Hi!

I’ve been doing the dance with the Catholic Church for about ten years, now. I wasn’t raised Christian, and as an adult have gone to RCIA twice, and dropped out when I got about 3/4 of the way through, both times.

I feel the pull to believe, I’ve gone to church, even on weekday mornings to pray the Rosary before the daily Mass, which I would then stay for. I can’t tell you how many books I’ve downloaded and read on belief in God, the Church, faith, etc. (heck, you can see by my reg date that I’ve been lurking here for two years!) It all comes back to the whole point of “I have not personally witnessed any evidence for God,” or, better phrased, “at least witnessed something that would lead me to believe that it was God and not nature that was responsible”; the whole science/empirical evidence vs. faith thing. Yet, I still feel drawn (Argument from Desire, perhaps?) to seek out God, but it is so tiring, and I feel like I’m spinning my wheels.

The fact that I’ve spent so much time and energy on this is what’s most frustrating, and unlike so many people out there who don’t believe, I desperately WANT to believe.

I’ll keep working things on my end, but if you all might be able to throw a little prayer or advice my way, I’d very much appreciate it. I’ll take all the help I can get at this point!

Thanks for your time!

ND
Done Deal 😉
 
Hi!

I’ve been doing the dance with the Catholic Church for about ten years, now. I wasn’t raised Christian, and as an adult have gone to RCIA twice, and dropped out when I got about 3/4 of the way through, both times.

I feel the pull to believe, I’ve gone to church, even on weekday mornings to pray the Rosary before the daily Mass, which I would then stay for. I can’t tell you how many books I’ve downloaded and read on belief in God, the Church, faith, etc. (heck, you can see by my reg date that I’ve been lurking here for two years!) It all comes back to the whole point of “I have not personally witnessed any evidence for God,” or, better phrased, “at least witnessed something that would lead me to believe that it was God and not nature that was responsible”; the whole science/empirical evidence vs. faith thing. Yet, I still feel drawn (Argument from Desire, perhaps?) to seek out God, but it is so tiring, and I feel like I’m spinning my wheels.

The fact that I’ve spent so much time and energy on this is what’s most frustrating, and unlike so many people out there who don’t believe, I desperately WANT to believe.

I’ll keep working things on my end, but if you all might be able to throw a little prayer or advice my way, I’d very much appreciate it. I’ll take all the help I can get at this point!

Thanks for your time!

ND
We seem to have a common desire at this moment…I wonder, would you be willing to attempt to pray for me if I were to offer to do the same in turn…?

My thread is here:

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=1012241

Kind regards…
 
An ancient prayer that you might like. “One could say this prayer each and every morning.” .

The Lorica of Saint Patrick .[Listen]
… . . +
I bind unto myself today
The strong Name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same,
The Three in One and One in Three.

I bind this day to me forever
By power of faith, Christ’s incarnation;
His baptism in the Jordan river;
His death on the Cross for my salvation;
His bursting from the spicèd tomb;
His riding up the heavenly way;
His coming at the day of doom;
I bind unto myself today.

I bind unto myself the power
Of the great love of cherubim;
The sweet ‘well done’ in judgment’s hour,
The service of the seraphim,
Confessors’ faith, Apostles’ word,
The Patriarchs’ prayers, the Prophets’ scrolls,
All good deeds done unto the Lord,
And purity of virgin souls.

I bind unto myself today
The virtues of the starlit heaven,
The glorious sun’s life-giving ray,
The whiteness of the moon at even,
The flashing of the lightning free,
The whirling wind’s tempestuous shocks,
The stable earth, the deep salt sea,
Around the old eternal rocks.

I bind unto myself today
The power of God to hold and lead,
His eye to watch, His might to stay,
His ear to hearken to my need.
The wisdom of my God to teach,
His hand to guide, His shield to ward,
The word of God to give me speech,
His heavenly host to be my guard.

Against the demon snares of sin,
The vice that gives temptation force,
The natural lusts that war within,
The hostile men that mar my course;
Or few or many, far or nigh,
In every place and in all hours,
Against their fierce hostility,
I bind to me these holy powers.

Against all Satan’s spells and wiles,
Against false words of heresy,
Against the knowledge that defiles,
Against the heart’s idolatry,
Against the wizard’s evil craft,
Against the death wound and the burning,
The choking wave and the poisoned shaft,
Protect me, Christ, till Thy returning.

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself the Name,
The strong Name of the Trinity;
By invocation of the same.
The Three in One, and One in Three,
Of Whom all nature hath creation,
Eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
Praise to the Lord of my salvation,
Salvation is of Christ the Lord.

Amen.
**
**
Code:
 [St. Patrick's Breastplate ](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuzYaDrwwz8&list=RDq5Hin4swdKg&index=2)..[[Listen]](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuzYaDrwwz8&list=RDq5Hin4swdKg&index=2)
… . . +
I bind unto myself today
The strong Name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same,
The Three in One and One in Three.

I bind this day to me forever
By power of faith, Christ’s incarnation;
His baptism in the Jordan river;
His death on the Cross for my salvation;
His bursting from the spicèd tomb;
His riding up the heavenly way;
His coming at the day of doom;
I bind unto myself today.

I bind unto myself the power
Of the great love of cherubim;
The sweet ‘well done’ in judgment’s hour,
The service of the seraphim,
Confessors’ faith, Apostles’ word,
The Patriarchs’ prayers, the Prophets’ scrolls,
All good deeds done unto the Lord,
And purity of virgin souls.

I bind unto myself today
The virtues of the starlit heaven,
The glorious sun’s life-giving ray,
The whiteness of the moon at even,
The flashing of the lightning free,
The whirling wind’s tempestuous shocks,
The stable earth, the deep salt sea,
Around the old eternal rocks.

I bind unto myself today
The power of God to hold and lead,
His eye to watch, His might to stay,
His ear to hearken to my need.
The wisdom of my God to teach,
His hand to guide, His shield to ward,
The word of God to give me speech,
His heavenly host to be my guard.

Against the demon snares of sin,
The vice that gives temptation force,
The natural lusts that war within,
The hostile men that mar my course;
Or few or many, far or nigh,
In every place and in all hours,
Against their fierce hostility,
I bind to me these holy powers.

Against all Satan’s spells and wiles,
Against false words of heresy,
Against the knowledge that defiles,
Against the heart’s idolatry,
Against the wizard’s evil craft,
Against the death wound and the burning,
The choking wave and the poisoned shaft,
Protect me, Christ, till Thy returning.

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself the Name,
The strong Name of the Trinity;
By invocation of the same.
The Three in One, and One in Three,
Of Whom all nature hath creation,
Eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
Praise to the Lord of my salvation,
Salvation is of Christ the Lord.

Amen.
**
**
 
Praying that the Holy Spirit will enter your heart with the gift of faith.
 
Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. It means a lot, and I greatly appreciate it.
We seem to have a common desire at this moment…I wonder, would you be willing to attempt to pray for me if I were to offer to do the same in turn…?

My thread is here:

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=1012241

Kind regards…
Yup, it looks like you seem to pretty much be in the same boat as me.

You’ve got a deal; let’s both grab a paddle and see if we can’t help each other getting our canoe off the rocks and moving downstream! 👍
 
Courage to Follow God

Lord, accompany me all days of my life.
Draw me closer to You so that
I will be able to discern Your will for me.
Give me the courage to decide not
according to what others want,
not even according to what I alone want.
But may I always place my desires
in accord with the designs of Your heart
so that I may experience real peace
and joy that can only come from You.

Amen

:signofcross:
 
Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

†

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

†

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

†

Jesus, Help Me!

In every need let me come to You with humble trust,
saying:
Jesus, help me!
In all my doubts, perplexities, and temptations:
Jesus, help me!
In hours of loneliness, weariness and trials:
Jesus, help me!
In the failure of my plans and hopes, in disappointments,
troubles and sorrows:
Jesus, help me!
When others fail me, and Your Grace alone can assist me:
Jesus, help me!
When I throw myself on Your tender Love as Savior:
Jesus, help me!
When my heart is cast down by failure, at seeing no good
come from my efforts:
Jesus, help me!
When I feel impatient, and my cross irritates me:
Jesus, help me!
When I am ill, and my head and hands cannot work and
I am lonely:
Jesus, help me!

Always, always, in spite of weakness, falls and short-
comings of every kind:
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, help me and never forsake me!

Amen

†
 
Look into the tilma at Guadelupe. St. John Bosco, pray for us. St. Monica, St. Augustine, pray for us.
 
Praying to the Holy Spirit to give you guidance, direction, strength, fortitude & wisdon in your time of need.
 
An ancient prayer that you might like. “One could say this prayer each and every morning.” .

The Lorica of Saint Patrick .[Listen]
… . . +
I bind unto myself today
The strong Name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same,
The Three in One and One in Three.

I bind this day to me forever
By power of faith, Christ’s incarnation;
His baptism in the Jordan river;
His death on the Cross for my salvation;
His bursting from the spicèd tomb;
His riding up the heavenly way;
His coming at the day of doom;
I bind unto myself today.

I bind unto myself the power
Of the great love of cherubim;
The sweet ‘well done’ in judgment’s hour,
The service of the seraphim,
Confessors’ faith, Apostles’ word,
The Patriarchs’ prayers, the Prophets’ scrolls,
All good deeds done unto the Lord,
And purity of virgin souls.

I bind unto myself today
The virtues of the starlit heaven,
The glorious sun’s life-giving ray,
The whiteness of the moon at even,
The flashing of the lightning free,
The whirling wind’s tempestuous shocks,
The stable earth, the deep salt sea,
Around the old eternal rocks.

I bind unto myself today
The power of God to hold and lead,
His eye to watch, His might to stay,
His ear to hearken to my need.
The wisdom of my God to teach,
His hand to guide, His shield to ward,
The word of God to give me speech,
His heavenly host to be my guard.

Against the demon snares of sin,
The vice that gives temptation force,
The natural lusts that war within,
The hostile men that mar my course;
Or few or many, far or nigh,
In every place and in all hours,
Against their fierce hostility,
I bind to me these holy powers.

Against all Satan’s spells and wiles,
Against false words of heresy,
Against the knowledge that defiles,
Against the heart’s idolatry,
Against the wizard’s evil craft,
Against the death wound and the burning,
The choking wave and the poisoned shaft,
Protect me, Christ, till Thy returning.

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself the Name,
The strong Name of the Trinity;
By invocation of the same.
The Three in One, and One in Three,
Of Whom all nature hath creation,
Eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
Praise to the Lord of my salvation,
Salvation is of Christ the Lord.

Amen.
**
**
Code:
 [St. Patrick's Breastplate ](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuzYaDrwwz8&list=RDq5Hin4swdKg&index=2)..[[Listen]](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuzYaDrwwz8&list=RDq5Hin4swdKg&index=2)
… . . +
I bind unto myself today
The strong Name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same,
The Three in One and One in Three.

I bind this day to me forever
By power of faith, Christ’s incarnation;
His baptism in the Jordan river;
His death on the Cross for my salvation;
His bursting from the spicèd tomb;
His riding up the heavenly way;
His coming at the day of doom;
I bind unto myself today.

I bind unto myself the power
Of the great love of cherubim;
The sweet ‘well done’ in judgment’s hour,
The service of the seraphim,
Confessors’ faith, Apostles’ word,
The Patriarchs’ prayers, the Prophets’ scrolls,
All good deeds done unto the Lord,
And purity of virgin souls.

I bind unto myself today
The virtues of the starlit heaven,
The glorious sun’s life-giving ray,
The whiteness of the moon at even,
The flashing of the lightning free,
The whirling wind’s tempestuous shocks,
The stable earth, the deep salt sea,
Around the old eternal rocks.

I bind unto myself today
The power of God to hold and lead,
His eye to watch, His might to stay,
His ear to hearken to my need.
The wisdom of my God to teach,
His hand to guide, His shield to ward,
The word of God to give me speech,
His heavenly host to be my guard.

Against the demon snares of sin,
The vice that gives temptation force,
The natural lusts that war within,
The hostile men that mar my course;
Or few or many, far or nigh,
In every place and in all hours,
Against their fierce hostility,
I bind to me these holy powers.

Against all Satan’s spells and wiles,
Against false words of heresy,
Against the knowledge that defiles,
Against the heart’s idolatry,
Against the wizard’s evil craft,
Against the death wound and the burning,
The choking wave and the poisoned shaft,
Protect me, Christ, till Thy returning.

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself the Name,
The strong Name of the Trinity;
By invocation of the same.
The Three in One, and One in Three,
Of Whom all nature hath creation,
Eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
Praise to the Lord of my salvation,
Salvation is of Christ the Lord.

Amen.
**
**
I have never heard of/read either of these and they are both quite beautiful, eloquent, and powerful in their message! Thank you for sharing!
 
***Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen.

:crossrc:***
 
Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. It means a lot, and I greatly appreciate it.

Yup, it looks like you seem to pretty much be in the same boat as me.

You’ve got a deal; let’s both grab a paddle and see if we can’t help each other getting our canoe off the rocks and moving downstream! 👍
I have said a prayer for you as agreed…thank you again for your efforts on my behalf.
 
Relax, God will draw near to you if
you draw near to Him, he promises
us that in James 4:8!!

Our Father, who is in heaven,
hallowed be Your Name,
Your kingdom come,
Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses as
we forgive those who trespass against us,
(forgive us our debts as we forgive our
debtors),
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen,

Hail Mary, full of grace,
the Lord is w/ you,
blessed are you among women,
blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners, now
and at the hour of death.(X3)
Amen.
 
St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen…


:highprayer:
 
Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

†

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

†

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

†

Jesus, Help Me!

In every need let me come to You with humble trust,
saying:
Jesus, help me!
In all my doubts, perplexities, and temptations:
Jesus, help me!
In hours of loneliness, weariness and trials:
Jesus, help me!
In the failure of my plans and hopes, in disappointments,
troubles and sorrows:
Jesus, help me!
When others fail me, and Your Grace alone can assist me:
Jesus, help me!
When I throw myself on Your tender Love as Savior:
Jesus, help me!
When my heart is cast down by failure, at seeing no good
come from my efforts:
Jesus, help me!
When I feel impatient, and my cross irritates me:
Jesus, help me!
When I am ill, and my head and hands cannot work and
I am lonely:
Jesus, help me!

Always, always, in spite of weakness, falls and short-
comings of every kind:
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, help me and never forsake me!

Amen

†
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top