Prayer of Incense

• Thread starter Thread starter Elvis_George
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elvis_George

Sholmo !
Please don’t mind my ignorance, but do Maronites have the “Prayer of Incense” or Dhoopa Prathana?
I know that the Syriac Orthodox church has it:

The Malankara Orthodox Syrian church has it:

The Syro-Malankara church has it:

And the Syriac Catholic church:

what about the Maronite church?

do Maronites have the “Prayer of Incense”
Is this the prayer that prays (in English translation)?:

Let my prayer arise…
In Thy Sight as incense…
And the Lifting up of my hands…
As an evening Sacrifice…

We sing this one slowly and beautifully…
And in Procession…

geo

Last edited:
I don’t know the english translation…only Malayalam and Syriac translations

yes this is the correct link…the tune seems very different

It may be the accent since in Kerala we do use a different prunuciation of Syriac

No. The Prayer of Incense, at least in the Maronite tradition, is something sung at the end of the Liturgy as a prayer for the dead.

From the little I can make out, no this isn’t the same. Here it is in English. As Phillip said, this is done at the end of a regular liturgy (normally 40 days after death). We don’t have requiem liturgies. There is the Ginnazat (wake, funeral & burial offices) but I don’t know anyone who still does them. Although I’m putting in my will that my parish will only get my bequest if they do one for me lol.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

The Orthodox churches do use the Dhoopa Prarthana for death aniverseries like:

But mostly it’s done during the end of the qurbana (Qurbono) and during feast days

@Phillip_Rolfes and others again pardon me for my ignorance but do you guys have the song Thob Shlom?

Or the Maintho of Mor Severus? (Nin Mathuvin Vishudanmar?)

Or the song “O Mariyamme Njan?”

(Sorry got too curious 😦 )

I confess, I’m not familiar with this one. Doesn’t mean we don’t have it. Do you know the English translation of the title?

Which one? Last one? It’s an Easter Procession song as far as I know… The Manitho of Mor Severios is the song used during the procession arounf the Thronos in the beginng of the Qurbono and Thob Shlom is the song sung to greet bishops,Patriarchs, Popes, and Catholicoi

Then who does the Maronite Qurbono start? In the other West Syriac churches, it starts with the Madbha closed and the song Velivuniranjan oru Eesho (By thy light) is sung. Then the Veil is open and the priest exclaims: Mariam Dheelethok… (I don’t know the rest lol) and then sings the Manitho of Mor Severios, while the priest makes a procession around the Thronos

The Maronites don’t have the veil. I’ve heard it hotly debated whether or not the veil is even a part of our tradition. If it was, I wish it’d be restored.

We do have the hymn “Jesus Christ, O Source of Light” that’s sung while the candles are being lit. Then the priest processes in and intones the “Ibaitokh aloho 'ehlet” and liturgy moves on from there.

I just briefly saw a Maronite Qurbono and it seems very Chaldean. The vestments looks Chaldean, the Chalice is in the side of the altar (which we call a Beth Gaza),not in the center, which also makes it look very chaldean. The offetory also seems very East Syriac as in the East Syriac tradition the offetory is a procession while in the West Syriac tradition the priest kneels down and prayers for the people. Also interesting how you guys have a procession during the Halleujah. In the West Syriac Tradition, the priest simply walks to the “Podium.” I don’t think you guys have the Canon of the Living Fathers like the other West Syriac churches

From what I’ve gathered, the Maronites are a unique blend of both the East and West Syriac traditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back