Prayer Question

• Thread starter Thread starter jazzbaby1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jazzbaby1

I have a few questions on intercessory prayer.

First, I was raised Protestant and am in RCIA right now. Being that I have not yet joined the RCC, is it appropriate for me to ask a saint for intercession? I pray the Rosary, but I’m not certain if asking another saint other than Mary to pray for a situation is…allowed, I guess?

Second, how would I know who to ask for intercession? Someone I know is in Scientology and I’ve been feeling a burden to pray for him, but I’m not certain who I should ask. My first thought was Bishop Fulton Sheen after I read online that he was one of the first celebrities targeted for conversion by L. Ron Hubbard, but I wasn’t sure if it would be snarky rather than loving for me to do so or even if he’s in a position in the afterlife to intercede.

TIA, and please be gentle. I really want to do the right thing here.

40.png
jazzbaby1:
I have a few questions on intercessory prayer.

First, I was raised Protestant and am in RCIA right now. Being that I have not yet joined the RCC, is it appropriate for me to ask a saint for intercession? I pray the Rosary, but I’m not certain if asking another saint other than Mary to pray for a situation is…allowed, I guess?..
Yes, it is always allowed and always appropriate to ask someone else to pray for you. It does not matter if that person is a friend you know personally, a stranger, such as the people you will meet on this forum, a saint in Heaven, or a soon-to-be saint in Purgatory
40.png
jazzbaby1:
…Second, how would I know who to ask for intercession? Someone I know is in Scientology and I’ve been feeling a burden to pray for him, but I’m not certain who I should ask. My first thought was Bishop Fulton Sheen after I read online that he was one of the first celebrities targeted for conversion by L. Ron Hubbard, but I wasn’t sure if it would be snarky rather than loving for me to do so or even if he’s in a position in the afterlife to intercede.

TIA, and please be gentle. I really want to do the right thing here.
You can ask any saint to intercede about anything. Traditionally, many Catholics seek the intervention of specific saints for specific matters associated with that saint, such as mothers of wayward children who ask St Monica (whose own son, St Augustine, gave her a few gray hairs before his conversion) to pray for their children, but this is not required.

I think the idea of asking Archbishop Sheen to pray for your friend is an excellent idea, and I shall also ask him to intercede for your friend. I see nothing snarky about the idea at all, but this way, just in case there is, you won’t be there alone. 😉

Joseph Bilodeau:
…I think the idea of asking Archbishop Sheen to pray for your friend is an excellent idea, and I shall also ask him to intercede for your friend. I see nothing snarky about the idea at all, but this way, just in case there is, you won’t be there alone. 😉
I agree that asking Archbishop Sheen is an excellent idea.😉

I think one of the greatest things about being Catholic is that we believe in the communion of saints. So therefore, pray to any or all of them for intercession…after all they are our prayer partners in heaven and they are obviously closer to the one above, Our Father who art there. Nothing is impossible with God, particularly the conversion of sinners. So keep those prayers coming! And welcome home to the Church!

Thank you all for your answers and prayers. I’ve added him to the list of prayer requests stickied at the top of this forum.

I just want to say, that I have been feeling led to pray especially for people who are caught up in scientology, so I am going to definitely be praying for your friend specifically, as well as the general prayer for all those affected by this cult.
Thank you for the privilege of praying with you. God bless.

Where did you hear Hubbard tried to convert Sheen? Yeesh, how silly could he be…:rolleyes:. Its like a JW walking up to the Pope’s door and talking to him…

I love the thought of asking Archbishop Fulton Sheen to pray for those caught in the web of scientology! How brilliant to put such a wise and holy man on the project!

I’m also happy to hear that as an RCIA participant, you recognize the potential of having the saints assist you in prayer. What I think is often overlooked is the fact that they, unlike us easily distracted humans, are able to pray unceasingly. When it’s something important, it needs that kind of attention, in my humble opinion.

I’ve already offered up a quick prayer to A.F.S., asking him to intervene on behalf of all who are caught in the web of scientology. Thanks for the suggestion.

God Bless you on your journey. I’ll keep you in my prayers,

CARose

Thank you all for your prayers and for offering prayers for D. I was struck by another thought while reading your replies. What if there was a prayer project that was a bit of “turn about is fair play” with the Scientologists? Hubbard referred to celebs he wanted to convert as “quarry” and according to the link above had specific people assigned to work with specific celebs. So what if we did the same thing with celeb Scientologists, just in prayer? Would that be aggressive? Would anyone even be interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back