Prayer that we say to ourselves before the reading of the Gospel during Mass?

• Thread starter Thread starter J.R
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

J.R

Would anyone be so kind to tell me the prayer we say to ourselves as we are crossing our forehead, lips, and chest just before the reading of the Gospel at Mass? I believe it is as follows; May the words of Jesus be on my mind, my lips, and in my heart. But if I am wrong please correct me and any history of it would be appreciated. Thank you and God Bless all here.

I believe the priest says this on our behalf. You may say it too. I do.
I don’t know the history behind this. I would look at the Vatican II documents on how the Novus Ordo Mass was to be said. But it’s good your enquiring. The Mass is so vital and central to our faith and worship. And anything we can do to offer up the Mass with more reverence, piety and understanding is worthwhile looking into

You got it right J.R. It’s done at every Mass in my parish, though each one of us says it to ourselves…even the priest.

I’m not a scholar, but the following may help gain an understanding of how this is meant to work. it comes from the guidelines in VII.
CONSTITUTION
ON THE SACRED LITURGY
SACROSANCTUM CONCILIUM
SOLEMNLY PROMULGATED BY
HIS HOLINESS

POPE PAUL VI
ON DECEMBER 4, 1963

III. The Reform of the Sacred Liturgy
  1. In order that the Christian people may more certainly derive an abundance of graces from the sacred liturgy, holy Mother Church desires to undertake with great care a general restoration of the liturgy itself. For the liturgy is made up of immutable elements divinely instituted, and of elements subject to change. These not only may but ought to be changed with the passage of time if they have suffered from the intrusion of anything out of harmony with the inner nature of the liturgy or have become unsuited to it.
In this restoration, both texts and rites should be drawn up so that they express more clearly the holy things which they signify; the Christian people, so far as possible, should be enabled to understand them with ease and to take part in them fully, actively, and as befits a community.

Wherefore the sacred Council establishes the following general norms:
***) Norms drawn from the hierarchic and communal nature of the Liturgy ***
30. To promote active participation, the people should be encouraged to take part by means of acclamations, responses, psalmody, antiphons, and songs, as well as by actions, gestures, and bodily attitudes. And at the proper times all should observe a reverent silence.
***C) Norms based upon the didactic and pastoral nature of the Liturgy ***
Moreover, the prayers addressed to God by the priest who presides over the assembly in the person of Christ are said in the name of the entire holy people and of all present. And the visible signs used by the liturgy to signify invisible divine things have been chosen by Christ or the Church. Thus not only when things are read “which were written for our instruction” (Rom. 15:4), but also when the Church prays or sings or acts, the faith of those taking part is nourished and their minds are raised to God, so that they may offer Him their rational service and more abundantly receive His grace.
For the whole document try the link-
vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19631204_sacrosanctum-concilium_en.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back