Prayer Walking?

• Thread starter Thread starter Bruised_Reed
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bruised_Reed

I’m looking for resources for praying while exercising, specifically Catholic resources: articles, websites, books, etc. Not Christian fitness tapes, but something that discusses ways of praying while exercising.

For example, members of an Evangelical church here pray for their neighborhood while walking through it. Do any of you do someting like this or know someone who does? You could be a resource- just give me some of the details, like when, where, what, what.

With a G00GLE search I found a few things but most have something subtly anti-catholic or it’s non-Christian. Since this is for a parish health ministry those will be difficult to use.

Thanks for any and all (name removed by moderator)ut!

You can pray a Rosary as you go. Use a cheap plastic one though so it doesn’t matter if it gets a little sweaty 😃 .

Or you can use the world around you as a sort of “natural rosary” – that is, as you walk pray about the things that the world around your reminds you of. While gazing at the stars, meditate on Him who create them, and do the same for “all things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small”.

never saw this in writing but it is an old devotion to circle a property or neighborhood in prayer by walking (or riding) around the perimeter with the whole group praying the rosary. pro-life rosary processions are an example. We did this to consecrate the property donated to the Benedictines before breaking ground on the new monastery. a group of us walk around our retirement park praying the rosary each morning for all the residents, the workers and their families. we don’t use a music or rosary CD, we let the birds do all the singing.

Eucharistic processions at Corpus Christi and other occassions are another example, but hardly something you can do on your own.

What about outdoor stations of the cross combined with circuit training? My dd and I did this for a while in a metro park in the cleveland area that had circuit training, you know where you stop and do pushups, chin-ups, balance beam etc. I have a key-ring stations of the cross and we said those prayers after each training station. we stopped because she got so good I could not keep up with her. I see our new city park has these training stations on the jog path, so maybe I will start doing it again.

I go to Curves 3 times a week and they have a new Christian pop music CD they use and graciously put it in for me and the ladies I go with.
I do tai chi exercises for stretching for my arthritis, then some back exercises and strength training. I play Taize or chant CDs during this time.

used to have a Healthrider and played a rosary and Divine Mercy CD during that time, but had to give it away since I can’t use it any more, that would work with treadmill or stationary bike, too.

I say a rosary whe I run outside with the dog. I don’t bring a rosary with me, but count the prayers. I wish they would invent some kind of dog leash that had a decade’s worth of knots near the handle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back