Prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter Singinbeauty
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Singinbeauty

I have often heard that prayer in the catholic faith is repetitive and can often lead to mundaneness (if that is a word 😉 ) and lead to a person not paying attention the the prayer itself. I want to break this belief…

What is prayer to you? What is your favorite one? How do you think we should pray?

Some prayers in the Catholic church can be performed by rote and have absolutely no meaning at all when performed that way.

It’s not because of the prayers themselves though. It’s the intentions and the attention of the person praying that matters.

The rosary is a great example. I know people who say one every day. I’m sure that if they wanted to, they could just say the rosary in the back of their mind while balancing their checkbook and it wouldn’t mean very much then. But that’s not what they do and that’s not how it is intended to be done. The rosary is meditative, in order for it to mean anything, you have to concentrate and focus on saying it and what it means.

I liken it to other meditative practices like breathing exercises in a martial art or yoga. The purpose of long breathing is not so much physical as it is mental. The idea is to focus your entire attention on the simple act of breathing and nothing else. It is very difficult and can take hours to actually achieve, but once you do, your mind is completely free and calm. Once you have it under control, you can focus it anywhere you like and not be sidetracked by distractions.

The rosary is the same. As you say the rosary, concentrate on each word of each Hail Mary. Think about what the prayer means and try to internalize that meaning in your act of prayer. Think about the mysteries through each decade of the rosary as you say it. Focus entirely on the act of praying the rosary and use it to drown out all distractions. The purpose of the beads is to relieve our minds of the burden of counting our prayers, like an abacus really, so that we can focus all of our energies on the act of prayer and not be distracted even by keeping track of the prayers themselves, so that the prayer is 100% devoted to contemplation of God.

It takes practice and no one says the rosary like that the first time through. But that’s the goal to strive for.

So in answer to your questions: Yes, you can say some prayers without thinking about them and without it meaning anything and I’m sure plenty of people do that sometimes. I know I’ve been guilty more than once of “coasting” through a mass, reciting the Gloria or the entire nicene creed without thinking about it (especially when I was younger). It’s like when you drive home from work, you get out of the car in your garage and you suddenly realize that you can’t remember a single moment from the drive home, like you were sleep walking through the whole thing.

But that’s not what it should be. We have rote prayers for different reasons. Some of the are medititative like the Rosary. Others are meant to be said by the congregation in unity at a mass (and therefore we all have to say the same thing). Some are intended to serve as models for prayer that teach us how to pray like the Our Father. But Catholics can pray freeform too and we frequently do. Prayer is any time when we speak directly to God and offer him our thanks, glorify him or petition him for aid. And how we choose do that is unimportant so long as we do so with reverence, respect, sincerity, devotion, honesty and love.

I like to just talk to Jesus in my own words. Those are my typical prayers. But I also appreciate prayers that were written by others. Some express my feelings exactly and more beautifully then I ever could.

As far as Catholic prayers being repetitive & not having alot of meaning - how in the world would I know what’s in someone else’s heart? Maybe they are saying the same old words, but maybe they feel them so deeply. I think prayer is between the individual & God - only. Because after all, a person could be praying off the top of their head and it could all sound awesome, like they have this fantastic relationship with Jesus, but maybe it’s just words - maybe they don’t mean any of it? How would we know?

I like reading the psalms. The words are more beautiful than I could ever come up with. If I pray the rosary, I meditate on Christ’s passion - how he was feeling, how the apostles were feeling, Mary’s feelings and my sinfulness that adds to the weight of the cross. I truly feel closer to Jesus through written prayer, especially the saints. I tend to babble with my free prayer.

I remember once attending a Protestant service (non-denominational, kind of revivalist) with a friend. They had a guest speaker who was well-known for writing books about prayer and specifically about how to pray. He advocated the notion of reciting Psalms out loud as a form of prayer. “If you don’t know how to pray or what words to use, find an appropriate Psalm and just read that.”

The congregation was all abuzz and some of them seemed genuinely excited about such a “radical” idea. It was strange how alien the idea was to most of them. I just kept thinking to myself, “I hear a Psalm every Sunday (responsorial). Monks have recited Psalms for millenia. I know of tons of prayers in addition to the Psalms. I never thought of this as an unusual idea. Is this really what it’s like outside the Catholic Church?”

It was about that time that I started to come back to the Catholic Church after having lapsed for years (though I still had a few more missteps to go before I really got the message… I always seem to learn things the hard way).

40.png
Singinbeauty:
I have often heard that prayer in the catholic faith is repetitive and can often lead to mundaneness (if that is a word 😉 ) and lead to a person not paying attention the the prayer itself. I want to break this belief…

What is prayer to you? What is your favorite one? How do you think we should pray?
Re: repetitive prayer

From my experience:

At 2 yrs of age both of our children started saying throughout the day, “Mommy, I love you.” What beautiful words & what a beautiful feeling that brought on. This continued for months, & my children still say that more than once a day. Now, even though this is repetitive, it never has been without feeling. Same thing with prayer.

God Bless You Singinbeauty & thanks for asking the question.

Quaere Verum
Seek the Truth

I know that the basic prayers that I was taught as a child have been an incredible way of bringing me back to the faith after a long journey away from Christ during young adulthood.

In praying the “Our Father” I found myself at one time sticking on the phrase “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us” and at another time “Thy kingdom come”. I’ve found myself stuck on other portions of the prayers that have been taught by the church and have found profound truth buried in some of the words I first learned as a child.

With the Rosary, an example of repetitive prayer, there are times when the individual words are not what I’m focusing on, as my concentration is more on the meditation of the specific mystery. At other times, it is every single word that I’m working on as I say the prayers. Which is the “right” way of saying it? Both, neither, either, it all depends.

The concern with vain repetitions of prayer is if it is a VAIN repetition. Christ himself was repetitive in his prayer in the Garden of Gethsemeni, so we know that it wasn’t repetition that makes a repetitive prayer wrong. If one is repeating merely to be able to count oneself as completing a prescribed prayer, this sounds like it might fall into the category of a vain prayer.

At the same time, we all have the potential of reaching a dry period in our prayer life. It is better to continue in our prayer than to stop for fear of not doing it “right”. Teresa of Avila went through a 20 year period when she ceased praying because she felt she wasn’t capable of doing it right. Afterwards she was strong in making the point that is is better to pray poorly than to cease praying all together.

Hope that helps in sharing my understanding of Catholic prayer.

CARose

I tend to pray mostly in free form although, if I don’t catch myself I can ramble off into too many directions. That’s why centered, focused, repetitive prayer is also useful for meditation on the Lord.

The repetitive prayers that I use most often are the “Our Father” and “Hail Mary” most often in the form of the Rosary which is a meditation on the Gospels (deoomnisgloria.com/mt/archives/000309.html).

The “Our Father”, of course, was taught to us by Christ (Luke 11:1-4) but the “Hail Mary” is also Scriptural:
  1. “Hail Mary full of grace” “The Lord is with thee” (Luke 1:28)
  2. “blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus.” (Luke 1:42)
  3. “Holy Mary Mother of God.” (Luke 1:43)
  4. “Pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.” (John19:25-28). Mary was at the foot of the cross uniting herself in her Son’s mission.
That’s the whole “Hail Mary” there.

About the idea of vain and repetitious prayer, this has been pointed out by others but I wanted to emphasize that despite the accusations by some Protestants that I have encountered before, it is not “repetitive prayer” that is wrong it is “repetitive prayer done in vain”. Repetitive prayer itself is Scriptural:

Matt. 6:7 - Jesus teaches, “do not heap up empty phrases” in prayer. Jesus’ focus in this instruction is on the “vain,” and not on the “repetition.”

Matt. 26:44 - for example, Jesus prayed a third time in the garden of Gethsemane, saying the exact same words again. It is not the repetition that is the issue. It’s* the vanity*. God looks into our heart, not solely at our words.

Luke 18:13 - the tax collector kept beating his breast and praying “God be merciful to me, a sinner.” This repetitive prayer was pleasing to God because it was offered with a sincere and repentant heart.

Acts 10:2,4 - Cornelius prayed constantly to the Lord and his prayers ascended as a memorial before God.

1 Thess. 5:17 - Paul commands us to pray constantly. Good repetition is different than vain repetition.

Rev. 4:8 - the angels pray day and night without cessation the same words “Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty.” This is repetitious prayer that is pleasing to God.

Psalm 136 - in this Psalm, the phrase “For His steadfast love endures forever” is more repetitious than any Catholic prayer, and it is God’s divine Word. Dan. 3:35-66 - the phrase “Bless the Lord” is similarly offered repeatedly, and mirrors Catholic litanies.

I think there is an assumption in the semi-accusation of repetitive prayer. The assumption is that Catholics only have repetitive prayers, or that the common prayers we say together are mandetory or superior to other methods of prayer.

Actions, thoughts and attitudes can be prayer. In his book, ‘The Way of Prayer’, pope John Paul II indicates that people sometimes say they don’t know how to pray. He replies,
"How to pray? This is a simple matter. I would say: Pray any way you like, so long as you do pray." You can pray the way your mother taught you; you can use a prayer book. Sometimes it takes courage to pray; but it is possible to pray, and necessary to pray. Whether from memory or a book or just in thought, it is all the same.

I think that is about as encompassing and as authoritativly Catholic as it could possibly be.

Vic

I never bought into the idea of prayer being repetitive and therefore useless, but I did have trouble seeing why we should say stuff like the rosary, with Hail Mary’s over and over.

Then, after giving it a shot, I realized it has more to do with my own focus, concentration, and impatience than anything else. It’s hard to focus on the mysteries of the rosary, but when you do it is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back