Prayers as a sleep aid?

• Thread starter Thread starter ImperialPhoenix
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ImperialPhoenix

I have been looking through on sleep hygine to find ways to help me get to sleep better. In one of the article it mentions meditation, relaxation techniques. I am wondering if prayers that are only focused on positive things (I know negative things can keep a person worried and thus more likely to not fall asleep) can help one fall asleep.

Thanks

I know the rosary has always helped me fall asleep… If that fails, go read the book of deuteronomy 😛

Josh

Yes, that makes sense. What works even better for me is a short prayer repeated constantly, such as “Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me”.

I often pray the Rosary and also the Chaplet of Divine Mercy:

divinemercysunday.com/chaplet.htm

I also often pray for all my family members and friends when I can’t sleep; just go through the list and ask for God to bless them and remember any particular intentions.

Recalling a psalm or scripture verse and repeating it also sometimes help.

If I still can’t sleep, I figure God wants me to be praying for someone! If a particular person comes to mind, I begin praying for him/her, and if not, I pray that God will strengthen and guide whoever is in most need of prayer at that time, especially for those who are dying.

40.png
threej_lc:
I know the rosary has always helped me fall asleep… If that fails, go read the book of deuteronomy 😛

Josh
There is a saying that if you fall asleep saying your rosary, your Guadian Angel finishes it.

the devil would certianly let you sleep rather than pray or read the bible.

Deacon Tony560:
There is a saying that if you fall asleep saying your rosary, your Guadian Angel finishes it.
That sounds good to me. Now I feel better about the times I did fall asleep saying the rosary.👍

Dear friend

Why would you start to say prayers to God to only desire to fall asleep? That surely is not the way, that is not the way to pray at all, to converse with your Divine Creator.

If you want to ask however to be granted with the gift of a goodnights sleep you need only say to your Guardian Angel ‘Sweet Angel my Guardian dear sent by God to defend me, pray sweet Angel that I may sleep and in my sleep pray for me and those I love and in my sleeping and waking protect me from all evil’ and to the Blessed Virgin Mother Mary ‘Pray Mother that I may sleep like a baby in your arms’ and to the Holy Spirit ’ Grant me and convict me of sincerity in my heart and lead me to peace of heart, Christ Jesus; and to a restful sleep’ and to Jesus ‘I ask because I believe it will be done, grant me, in your infinite Mercy, sleep sweet Jesus’ and to God the Father ‘Your Will be done for me’.

That is it friend, believe what you ask for and it shall be done if it is the Father’s Will.

Don’t forget the doctor that God created and gifted should you have a need for him/her. Don’t forget that which might keep you awake is a matter to be resolved and so don’t forget the confessional and the peace of heart to be found there, in by and through Christ Jesus, by the power of the Holy Spirit and because the Father wills it.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Deacon Tony560:
And even my kids (ages 7 & 10) will ask me to bring them their rosaries when they are having a hard time going to sleep, especially if it is due to being worried or upset about something. They do not necessarily see the rosary as a sleep aid and they pray it at other times more often than at bedtime, but they recognize the power of the Rosary to help them give up thier worries and rest. 🙂

Why would you start to say prayers to God to only desire to fall asleep? That surely is not the way, that is not the way to pray at all, to converse with your Divine Creator.
If this was the only time during the day that one was praying I would agree with you but aren’t we supposed to pray without ceasing? I think it is a wonderful thing to have our last conscious moments before sleep be spent in prayer.

40.png
kmktexas:
If this was the only time during the day that one was praying I would agree with you but aren’t we supposed to pray without ceasing? I think it is a wonderful thing to have our last conscious moments before sleep be spent in prayer.
Dear friend

Yes Christ Jesus first and last on our lips not for our ‘self’ but for Himself, but that is not what the poster is saying. The original poster is talking about praying prayers to God not for the Glory of God but for the simple act of falling asleep. That is no way to have intent towards our Divine Creator. If we want to go to sleep and cannot, we simply ask for the gift of sleep, this is honest and this is a worthy way to pray for sleep, rather than to hope by praying, say the Rosary it will aid us to sleep. There is a difference and the difference is ‘self’

God bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Deacon Tony560:
I’ve heard that as well, but I only began to believe it under a couple of conditions:
  1. You honestly tried to stay awake for it.
  2. You tell your guardian angel to keep you awake for it.
  3. Inform your guardian angel that should he fail in keeping you awake, it is then his duty to make up for his failure by finishing your rosary for you.
That way you’re not pansying out. And the angel is now bound to say it for a reason other then you were too lazy 😃

Josh

40.png
springbreeze:
Dear friend

The original poster is talking about praying prayers to God not for the Glory of God but for the simple act of falling asleep. That is no way to have intent towards our Divine Creator.
Teresa
Teresa,

The **Catholic ** Church teaches that there are four reasons to pray. Prayer for the Glory of God is but one of those. We also should pray in Thanksgiving, as a Penitant and in Supplication. If we are praying for a peaceful sleep (supplication) , we are doing what we should.

40.png
kmktexas:
Teresa,

The **Catholic **Church teaches that there are four reasons to pray. Prayer for the Glory of God is but one of those. We also should pray in Thanksgiving, as a Penitant and in Supplication. If we are praying for a peaceful sleep (supplication) , we are doing what we should.
Dear friend

Yes the Church teaches this, it does not say pray to God with all your heart, mind and soul and hope you fall asleep before you finish your prayers! 😃 On the other hand if we petition the Divine healer to help us with any sleep difficulties and believe He will grant us a nights sleep then that is a different matter altogether, that is a reasonable prayer and the proper way to pray. The OP didn’t ask that, they asked if it was ok to simply use prayer as a sleep aid, I would say no it is no fitting way to pray to God to use prayer that way.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back