Prayers

• Thread starter Thread starter Iwesshome
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Iwesshome

I am still learning about the Catholic religion till I am able to prepare to start my journey with RCIA classes and become a Catholic. Can anybody suggest a morning and evening Catholic prayer that I might be able to recite?

I love to start the day with the Morning and Daily offering prayers:

MORNING PRAYER: In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ I will begin this day. I thank you, Lord, for having preserved me during the night. I will do my best to make all I do today pleasing to You and in accordance with Your will. My dear mother Mary, watch over me this day. My Guardian Angel, take care of me. St. Joseph and all the saints of God, pray for me… (followed by Daily Offering)

DAILY OFFERING: O Jesus, through the immaculate heart of Mary, I offer you my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day in union with the holy sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world. I offer them for all the intentions of your sacred heart: the salvation of souls, reparation for sin, the reunion of all Christians. I offer them for the intentions of our bishops and of all the apostles of prayer, and in particular for those recommended by our Holy Father this month. Amen.

Here is the one my wife and I say together every morning. It is adapted from a Morning Prayer suggested by Kimberly Hahn:
Morning Act of Consecration
O My God, we consecrate ourselves to you this day. All our prayers and our works, our joys and our sufferings, we offer to you through the Eucharistic and Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ and through the Immaculate and Sorrowful Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary. We offer them in union with the holy sacrifice of the Mass as it is offered throughout the world: for the salvation of souls, the reparation of sins, the intentions of the Holy Father, the Apostolate of Prayer, God’s blessing on our family, and for an increase in holy and worthy vocations to the priesthood, religious life and holy matrimony. May the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen
If you are praying it alone, it could be:
O My God, I consecrate myself to you this day.
All my prayers and my works, my joys and my
sufferings, I offer to you through the Eucharistic
and Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ and through the
Immaculate and Sorrowful Heart of the Blessed
Virgin Mary. I offer them in union with the holy
sacrifice of the Mass as it is offered throughout
the world: for the salvation of souls, the reparation
of sins, the intentions of the Holy Father, the Apostolate
of Prayer, God’s blessing on my family, and for an
increase in holy and worthy vocations to the priesthood,
religious life and holy matrimony. May the souls of
the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen

Evening prayer

Examination of conscience, thanksgiving for the day, followed by the Our Father and act of Contrition.

puzzleannie,

Please help me out. I do not know those prayers. Where can I find them?

Here puzzleannie, examination of Conscience catholic-pages.com/penance/examine.asp

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

Act of Contrition

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins because of Thy just punishments, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who art all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin.

My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In his name, my God, have mercy.

O my God, I am sorry for my sins because I have offended you. I know I should love you above all things. Help me to do penance, to do better, and to avoid anything that might lead me to sin. Amen.​

Pick the one you like the most, and remember you have to crawl before you can walk so, one step at a time.
yenra.com/catholic/prayers/

God Bless.

Morning Offering
O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my prayers, works, joys, offerings, sacrifices and sufferings of this day in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass thorughout the world. I offer them for all the intentions of your Sacred Heart, the salvation of souls, reparation for sin, the reunion of all Christians. I offer them for the intentions of our bishops and all apostles of prayer and in particular for those recommended by our holy father this month. amen.

the daily examen, usually done during night prayer, is shorter than the examination of conscience you would do to prepare for confession, but it you get into this habit, you will have no difficulty when it comes to remembering your sins. 1. Pray to the Holy Spirit for enlightenment (just ask, not formal) 2. Review the day in thanksgiving. 3. Survey the actions of the day and review the feelings that surface in the replay of your day. 4. Express contrition and sorrow for any sins or failings of the day, and pray from whatever other feelings arise. 5. Look toward tomorrow and make a resolution for tomorrow. Say the Our Father.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. for the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours, now and forever. Amen.

Act of Contrition
Psalm 51
or
O my God I am heartily sorry for having offended thee because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell, but most of all because they offend thee, my God, who art all good and worthy of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of thy grace to sin no more, to avoid the near occassions of sin, and to amend my life. Amen.

Night Prayer
Keep watch, O Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ, give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous, and all for Your love’s sake. Amen (St. Augustine)

Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God’s love commits me here, ever this day be at my side, to light, to guard, to rule and guide. amen.

May the all-powerful Lord grant us a restful night and a peaceful death. Amen. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen. Mary, queen of peace, pray for us.

there is a great little red booklet I give to everyone who comes in to inquire about RCIA. Handbook for Today’s Catholic by Liguori (ligouri.com). If you open it to the middle, all the basic Catholic prayers are there. Also short section on each sacrament, basic teachings of the church, commandments, beatitudes, works of mercy, laws of the church, how to go to confession, order of the Mass. Kind of a Catholic cliff-notes. quick answers for a lot of your questions, and will help you frame a question for your RCIA catechist. it only costs about $5. They also have Essentials of the Catholic Faith, which goes into a bit more detail. Anything from Liguori is quite reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back