Praying back in time

• Thread starter Thread starter Didi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Didi

I have recently become aware of the Church’s teaching that we can pray outside of the realm of time because God is outside of time as we know it.

For example, when a cousin of mine died a tragic death, I could pray for her at the moment of her death that God would give her the graces she needed to call on His Holy Name and ask for His Mercy.

We obviously can’t change history, but God in His Infinite Wisdom will anticipate our prayer and apply the graces needed at the time the person needed it.

Does anyone have more information on this; especially if there are scriptures or Church documents that explain this in more detail?

However it seems eminently reasonable, and I often do it for those who have died sudden deaths - especially a murder victim. I pray that God gave her the grace to repent her life style and forgive her killer in those last few moments.

Since we pray for people to get out of Purgatory, it seems even more important to pray that they get into Purgatory.

I have heard this recently, possibly on EWTN. God has no past or future. Everything takes place in his presence. As a result, prayers can be plugged in anywhere. A prayer said for us last year could help us in a bad situation that is yet to come up. I think our best bet would be the Catechism for info on this.Beginning with #185 -the Profession of the Christian faith might be helpful.

God bless,
Deacon Tony

I’d heard that, too. I don’t have any references off the top of my head, but it makes sense. I also have a variation on that that I do. If I become aware of something that I want to offer something up for, I will offer up what I am dealing with currently and also things that had happened earlier that day.

I went years without praying over meals and this bad habit is hard to break, so if I forget but remember after I will pray a blessing for the meal that I’ve already had. This seems to be helping me remember to pray before. God Bless

Joe Kelley:
… especially a murder victim. I pray that God gave her the grace to repent her life style and forgive her killer in those last few moments …
I heard that if somebody intentionally takes the life of an innocent individual, that person assumes all of their sins.

40.png
Didi:
I have recently become aware of the Church’s teaching that we can pray outside of the realm of time because God is outside of time as we know it.
Jesus is our high priest that offered himself in prayer to God the Father for the expiation of the sins of the world. When Jesus offered these priestly prayers, he was praying outside of time, for his sacrifice is for all the sins that have ever been committed or ever will be committed. Every Mass we say is a prayer that is outside of time.
For example, when a cousin of mine died a tragic death, I could pray for her at the moment of her death that God would give her the graces she needed to call on His Holy Name and ask for His Mercy.
And even better than that, you can have a Mass said for your cousin. 🙂

:hmmm:…I’ve heard of praying back in time for healing of memories…In fact have gone through the process and have had healing of my memories from childhood …

I too have heard about this and if I remember correctly it is called ‘The Eternal now’. I suppose a google search on it may yield results for those interested.

Annunciata said:
:hmmm:…I’ve heard of praying back in time for healing of memories…In fact have gone through the process and have had healing of my memories from childhood …

The healing of memories is a great example. We can ask Jesus to be present at an incident in our past that is causing trouble for us in our life today. Christ is outside of time, and because he is outside of time, we can ask him to be present for us as a healer at the moment of a traumatic incident. The healing graces that Christ brings to that moment ripple through time to our present which allows us to be free of the wounds in our soul that have troubled our life. This is how we can forgive and let go of the past. We can let go, because the wounds to our soul have been healed throughout all of time.

Healing Masses can be said with the intention for healing past wounds that are affecting us in our present lives. At a healing Mass, Jesus can be present in our past bringing forth healing graces to bear on our entire life - past, present and future.

Glory to God! Who needs a mechanical time machine to travel to the past? We are united to God in Spirit and truth, and God is is outside of time. Prayer is a time machine for those who understand its mysterious power! :gopray2:

Dear friends

I have heard this also as you good folks have. I suppose if we pray for a good death that is praying for the future so seeing as we can pray for the future and the here and now, we can also pray for an event or for people in the past.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Deacon Tony560:
I have heard this recently, possibly on EWTN. God has no past or future. Everything takes place in his presence. As a result, prayers can be plugged in anywhere. A prayer said for us last year could help us in a bad situation that is yet to come up. I think our best bet would be the Catechism for info on this.Beginning with #185 -the Profession of the Christian faith might be helpful.

God bless,
Deacon Tony
I remember Fr Benedict Groeschel mentioning this in regards to his accident, and his being on the verge of death. Something to the effect that God knew from all the prayer he received during his recovery that they would have prayed for him at the moment of his accident. In other words, God applied the later prayers to an earlier event and allowed his recovery.

There is a story about Blessed Pio. One day he was praying for the souls of his parents and grandparents. Someone asked him why? This was because Pio had been told that they were already in heaven. His reply was that it was true they were already in heaven, because God had seen the prayers he was about to recite and those he would offer in the future.

Thank you for all your replies!

I did have a Mass said for my cousin! 🙂

Does anyone know, though, of Church documents or maybe writings of the early Fathers that would support this concept of praying outside of time? I have searched on New Advent, Catholic Answers, EWTN, etc., and have not had any success.

40.png
Didi:
Does anyone know, though, of Church documents or maybe writings of the early Fathers that would support this concept of praying outside of time? I have searched on New Advent, Catholic Answers, EWTN, etc., and have not had any success.
Asking again!

Sir Knight:
I heard that if somebody intentionally takes the life of an innocent individual, that person assumes all of their sins.
I’ve never heard of that before, but if I were God (and be thankful that I’m not), I would have that built into my legal system.

DaveBj

And I have heard that the innocent person took on the sins of the guilty. 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back