Praying for a sign...

• Thread starter Thread starter James_2_24
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James_2_24

I know that Jesus said, “Only an evil generation seeks a sign…”

However, I’m not sure if I know exactly what He meant… Would this mean it would be wrong for me to seek a sign from God to help me in times of weak faith?

Sometimes, I feel like praying something like: “Show me a sign, something, anything for me to know that You are there… Show me something that will make me never doubt again.”

Is this wrong? Also, those Saints that had supernatural contact with God or Mary or some other apparition… did these Saints still have the virtue of Faith? I mean since they have “seen” they wouldn’t need Faith anymore, would they?

Could you provide a verse? I thought that was in the context of he had already performed so many miracles to their faces, and out of the hardness of their hearts they did not believe.

Matthew 12 39-40 usccb.org/nab/bible/matthew/matthew12.htm
"Then some of the scribes and Pharisees said to him, “Teacher, 27 we wish to see a sign from you.”
39 He said to them in reply, “An evil and unfaithful 28 generation seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah the prophet. 40 Just as Jonah was in the belly of the whale three days and three nights, 29 so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights.” He was, as you say, speaking of the Pharisees who were too hard of heart to accept him, even in the presence of the wonderful signs he was showing them.

I often ask for signs, and frequently get them.

John 20:24-29 may be helpful.

Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”

But he said to them, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”

Now a week later his disciples were again inside and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe.”

Thomas answered and said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

Jesus said to him, “Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.”
Despite his doubts, Thomas remained an apostle and became a saint. The message I take from this and the other passages is that Jesus may allow a sign out of his compassion for our weakness. But he would prefer that we were able to have faith without signs.

Mot Juste:
John 20:24-29 may be helpful.

Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”

But he said to them, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”

Now a week later his disciples were again inside and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe.”

Thomas answered and said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

Jesus said to him, “Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.”
Despite his doubts, Thomas remained an apostle and became a saint. The message I take from this and the other passages is that Jesus may allow a sign out of his compassion for our weakness. But he would prefer that we were able to have faith without signs.
Yep… isn’t this where we get the ‘doubting Thomas’ saying from?

I’m thinking about the parable of the rich man and Lazarus in Lk. 16, where Jesus assured the rich man in verse 31, that, “If they do not hearken to Moses and the Prophets, they will not believe even if someone rises from the dead.”

Now that would be an incredible sign, huh? The rich man thought so, and begged for someone from the dead to testify to his brothers so they may not come to the place of torment to which he was banished. Jesus began the parable to show that unbelief is not erased by a miraculous sign, but by faith as taught by Moses and the Prophets.

Earlier in Matthew’s scripture that “Mpav” shared here, the Pharisees not only did not believe in Jesus, but had the audacity to proclaim to the crowd that His miracles were performed through the agency of Satan! Jesus read their thoughts, that they were evil and testing Him, and proclaimed that no sign would be given to them.

As for our asking in humility for guidance to do God’s will, which is born of faith and love, I do not see the evil in this, especially when the matter is critically important. We can see God’s benevolence in giving Gideon two signs to help him begin his extraordinary mission.

I think we need to be careful not to place too great an importance in being guided routinely in this way, or we will be asking for a sign in a very indifferent matter such as whether we should pray a litany or a rosary. 😃 If we become overly dependent upon signs, God will remove them completely in order to stretch our faith. I have spoken with many persons of prayer, and know that they ask God to “confirm” their guidance interiorly, through peace and inner witness of the Holy Spirit. This is the more normal way.

Many of us know that St. Therese has sent a rose in some manner when answering a petitition, simply as a loving response to a very earnest prayer.

James, it might help to ask God to show you the pure intention in your heart as to why you need a sign, and the matter at hand which prompts your prayer. Please be at peace, for God is so loving, and you need not develop a scruple about asking for this help. In His wisdom, He will answer you in the best way for your spiritual growth, even to granting the sign you need. I remember having asked for a sign in a very important matter, and it was granted.

🙂 Carole

In the weakest point of my faith, I begged God silently during Adoration for a tangible sign of His existance…an hour later when I rose to leave, a woman I have never met before came up to me, pressed something in my hand, and said, “I am supposed to give this to you.” and then she left, and I have never seen her again. I opened my hand to find a small wooden rosary (which has not left my side for almost two years, and just recently has disappeared…I’ve looked everywhere for it…if you could please help pray that I find it, it would mean so much to me) I believe that, when we sincerely are weak and need His face, God always provides sign for us, whether they come through an experience, a gift, or the words of another person…God knows we struggle, I firmly believe He’s happy to give anything He can to help us stay strong with Him.

In Him,
Britty

40.png
CheesusPowerKid:
I opened my hand to find a small wooden rosary (which has not left my side for almost two years, and just recently has disappeared…I’ve looked everywhere for it…if you could please help pray that I find it, it would mean so much to me)
Wow. That was an awesome story.

I hope that you find this rosary, but if you don’t, then just maybe it was time to pass it along. Maybe you just happened to drop it in the spot where some other person, needing their own sign, will look down and find it.

Yesterday I posted a thread about a sign that I had asked for from God due to some insecurities I was having. I was never aware of a bible passage that frowns upon this. So in a very natural way I asked God to show me a sign that the Catholic Church is the one true church.

I don’t know how to refer you to my thread, but it’s title is “Have you heard from God lately?”. You can read my story there. Hope it helps.

KGM

What kind of sign are you looking for?

I see life itself as a sign, and my very existence, and my ability to love. Doubt dissappears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back