Praying for non-Catholic dead?

• Thread starter Thread starter SAHmommy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SAHmommy

When my aunt passed away, a month ago, she had been away from the church for most of her life. other than making myself feel better, is it possible to do her any good? I guess it’s possible she came back to God right before she passed away, but she never mentioned it to anyone. Am I wasting my time?

SAHmommy

Praying for those who have died is never a waste of time. I pray for my deceased loved ones every day no matter what they professed or didn’t profess in this life. Only God can know anyone’s state of being upon death. Besides, your prayers cannot go to waste even if, heaven forfend, your loved one didn’t go to purgatory or heaven because there are many souls who have no one to pray for them. Offer all your prayers with and through the Immaculate Heart of Mary and she will be sure to apply them to her intercessions for your loved one, as well as all those who need them.

Even if she had been away from the church all her life we do not know the state of her soul at death; she may not have realized all her mistakes at the end of her life. It could very well be ignorance on her part, but in all things God knows the extent to her innocence even in ignorance. So, keep praying for her.
I even heard somewhere that no prayer we say for those in purgatory is wasted; if that person has no use for your prayer (example he/she is in heaven) then that prayer will be used for the benefit of someone else…which I think is pretty cool though I am not sure about it.

God bless.

-Alison

40.png
Alison:
she may not have realized all her mistakes at the end of her life. It could very well be ignorance on her part, but in all things God knows the extent to her innocence even in ignorance. -Alison
I don’t think she was ignorant. When she was growing up, my grandmother repeatedly told her that she, my aunt was handicapped, was grandmother’s punishment from God for grandmother’s sins. My aunt grew up hating God because of this. Throughout her life, she was the leader of a secular humanist pseudo-church. The last time I saw her while she was still alert, she was very angry at “who or whatever” (her words) for having to live her whole life in pain from her handicap, then having to die in a very painful way from cancer.
SAHmommy

40.png
SAHmommy:
I don’t think she was ignorant. When she was growing up, my grandmother repeatedly told her that she, my aunt was handicapped, was grandmother’s punishment from God for grandmother’s sins. My aunt grew up hating God because of this. Throughout her life, she was the leader of a secular humanist pseudo-church. The last time I saw her while she was still alert, she was very angry at “who or whatever” (her words) for having to live her whole life in pain from her handicap, then having to die in a very painful way from cancer.
SAHmommy
The poor woman! Why will people abuse their children in such mean ways? Instead of letting her know that she was special and that God had a good reason for making her different, she gets told her condition was a result of sin! :eek: I’d be angry too!

Your aunt never learned about redemptive suffering, which would have made all the difference in her attitude. Still, in her passing from this world to the next she could have encountered the love and mercy of Jesus. St. Faustina tells us that Jesus appears to every dying person to let them see his great love for them. So, we can hope that your aunt finally saw what her life was all about and found peace at last. Let us pray for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back