Praying for the dead

• Thread starter Thread starter InSearchOfGod
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

InSearchOfGod

I’ve got a question : does praying for the dead help them? (for those who are suffering in purgatory, of course, as praying for someone in Heaven or Hell I don’t think can do anything, except be redirected.)

“Why, of course!” you may be quick to think (as am I), however, does the amount of prayer really matter?

I’ve always pictured two people in purgatory, one is famous, so has many more people praying for him, so he gets to Heaven faster. The other one had few friends, as he was a hermit, so the only times a prayer helps him is when a prayer contains “and all those in purgatory”

In church, why do we say “especially” when praying for the dead? Does that mean more prayer goes to them? :eek:

But this all seems absurd in my mind! Especially since the nature of time after death may be entirely different and unimaginable to us.

40.png
InSearchOfGod:
I’ve got a question : does praying for the dead help them? (for those who are suffering in purgatory, of course, as praying for someone in Heaven or Hell I don’t think can do anything, except be redirected.)

“Why, of course!” you may be quick to think (as am I), however, does the amount of prayer really matter?

I’ve always pictured two people in purgatory, one is famous, so has many more people praying for him, so he gets to Heaven faster. The other one had few friends, as he was a hermit, so the only times a prayer helps him is when a prayer contains “and all those in purgatory”

In church, why do we say “especially” when praying for the dead? Does that mean more prayer goes to them? :eek:

But this all seems absurd in my mind! Especially since the nature of time after death may be entirely different and unimaginable to us.
I always pray for those especially who have no one to pray for them. God knows who they are, so I think it helps them. As to how or when, of course I have no clue. But I know prayer is never wasted.

40.png
InSearchOfGod:
I’ve always pictured two people in purgatory, one is famous, so has many more people praying for him, so he gets to Heaven faster. The other one had few friends, as he was a hermit, so the only times a prayer helps him is when a prayer contains “and all those in purgatory”.
Jesus said, “To whom much is given, much will be required.” (once again, I remember the Bible quote but not the location.) Also the Bible warns to be careful of being a teacher of religion because they must answer for more. (I think that’s in one of St. Paul’s letters)

The famous person must answer to God for more things than the hermit. The hermit’s sins probably caused no scandal, but the slightest sin of a famous person might cause many to stumble, and he must answer to God for that. So that famous person in Purgatory may not get to heaven any “faster”, despite all the prayers. Our prayers for both the famous and the annonymous in Purgatory are inspired by God’s perfect justice towards both. Pray for those in purgatory as He inspires you to pray.

prayer does nothing for the dead. the dead are the dead. you can do nothing for them. that is what their own lifes were for it is their own job to save themselves. as for those who have never been introduced to christ he will have mercy for them.

Grace & Peace!

I think that what one is praying for when one prays for the dead is that they find the strength to fully embrace the burning, purifying light of Christ. I often think that their attachment to their sin, and their clinging to their unworthiness in the light of God’s presence constitute the pain of purgatory–I do not think God wants them to suffer. God’s grace is there for them. The purgatorial fire of God’s love can only be painful, I think, if it is resisted. And prayers for the dead are offered, I believe, so that they may stop resisting the love and grace of God and open themselves to the Pentecostal fire of the Spirit. Or, put in another way, this is the fire of judgment when resisted, and the cleansing fire of merciful love when embraced. We pray that they may recognize the fire as love, and in the recognition, be transported to bliss in the beatific vision.

We cannot pray for an increase of God’s mercy on any one person, living or dead–it’s ludicrous, in a way, as God’s mercy is constantly showered on all people in great torrents. But we can praise the grace of God and give thanks for it, and pray that these graces be recognized by the dead for what they are, that their hearts be softened, in whatever way is best for them according to the mercy of God.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Under the Mercy,
Mark

Deo Gratias!

Time does not exist for God, He is outside of time. The past, present and future are all happening at the same time for God so every prayer or Mass you have said for the dead are taken into account in that soul’s individual judgement.

This is why we should have Masses offered for all our dead, especially those who have committed suicide. And pray continually for our dead loved ones.

Your prayer may be the one that tips the balance between Heaven and Hell, the prayer that caused that person - even at the moment of death - to repent and turn back to God. That’s why praying for the dead is a spiritual act of mercy.

I think it is very important for us still living to pray for the dead…as they can no longer pray for themselves only the living…
for them to persevere until they get the chance to see God’s presence, and i think offering them in the Holy Mass is great…

Let’s pray for the dead!..God bless

One thing that I think confuses the situation is that Catholics believe that those who have died to their earthly life aren’t *dead *but alive with Christ. They are either a member of the Church Triumphant- and are experiencing the beatific vision of God, or are a member of the Church Expectant (Suffering) and are in the cleansing embrace of purgatory.

(Or they are in Hell, and beyond our prayers. But since we do not know these souls- we pray for all who are departed.)

Both the Church Triumphant, and Church Expectant contains members of the Church- as does our earthly members (the Church Militant). ALL are worthy of our prayers, as would any person on this earth be worthy.

Most protestant religions that I am familiar with, believe people ARE DEAD. That is they are in some type of ‘sleep’ in which they await Christ’s second comming. And I agree, if that were the case, prayers for the dead would seem silly.

But considering that at this very moment, our departed brothers and sisters in Christ are alive and either in His presence or awaiting thier time with Him, our communication with them is encouraged!

Catholic Encyclopedia entry on Prayer for the Dead
newadvent.org/cathen/04653a.htm

Deo Volente:
Grace & Peace!

I think that what one is praying for when one prays for the dead is that they find the strength to fully embrace the burning, purifying light of Christ. I often think that their attachment to their sin, and their clinging to their unworthiness in the light of God’s presence constitute the pain of purgatory–I do not think God wants them to suffer. God’s grace is there for them. The purgatorial fire of God’s love can only be painful, I think, if it is resisted. And prayers for the dead are offered, I believe, so that they may stop resisting the love and grace of God and open themselves to the Pentecostal fire of the Spirit. Or, put in another way, this is the fire of judgment when resisted, and the cleansing fire of merciful love when embraced. We pray that they may recognize the fire as love, and in the recognition, be transported to bliss in the beatific vision.

We cannot pray for an increase of God’s mercy on any one person, living or dead–it’s ludicrous, in a way, as God’s mercy is constantly showered on all people in great torrents. But we can praise the grace of God and give thanks for it, and pray that these graces be recognized by the dead for what they are, that their hearts be softened, in whatever way is best for them according to the mercy of God.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Under the Mercy,
Mark

Deo Gratias!
Very interesting . . . and timely too for this has been on my mind for sometime now.

Thanks!
Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back