Praying for the deceased

• Thread starter Thread starter TobyLue
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TobyLue

I have begun to notice more and more that at funeral services, (not the mass) whether the service is lead by a lay person, deacon, or a priest that when praying the Rosary, the prayer “Eternal rest grant unto him/her or Lord and let perpetual light shine upon him/her” is omitted. Also, more and more I hear, even from priest themselves, declare the deceased already in heaven and for all to pray to him/her. On very few occassions do I hear prayers offered for the deceased. Whatever happened to Purgatory? There was even one situation when this guy (he was not even a deacon but was wearing an alb and announced to all stand to greet the celebrant) after each mystery would recite a short litany of saints and included the deceased person as “St. so and so, pray for us”.He said that this is what was meant by the Communion of Saints. He had a scripture reading and then proceeded to talk all about himself and his experience as a little kid. Of course nobody but the Church has any authority to claim a person a saint and I believe we should pray to our loved ones, but how more important are prayers** for** our loved ones if they are in Purgatory.
Anybody else encountering this situation?

Hello-

I have not encountered this situation exactly but I am also finding a reluctance in many people to acknowledge the chance that someone they cared about/liked could end up in Purgatory or to even admit it exists. Fortunately there are people like the Mission To Empty Purgatory who take seriously the reality of the Church Suffering and pray for the Holy Souls. Right know I’m praying for both my dear father in law and our Pope.

JXM

In my diocese, eulogies were recently disallowed. Because people would praise and talk as if they were Saints in glory evertime. Even if they never set foot in a Church.

Prayers for the dead aren’t as common, because it’s not “ecumenical” enough. Protestants don’t believe in it, and many people in the Church seem more concerned about not offending the protestants than preaching the truth- and practicing the spiritual works of mercy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back