Praying out loud?

• Thread starter Thread starter Joanne_ca
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joanne_ca

Should we pray out loud? Does it matter if we just pray silently?
I read once that we should pray out loud when possible. I always feel that I should in order for them to be heard. I would appreciate any feed back on this topic.

Joanne:

I don’t believe it is a requirement to pray out loud.

However, I discovered, quite by accident, how amazing it is to pray out loud.

I have always prayed in my head. Only once or twice in my life could I remember praying out loud and it was usually around other people, and my voice shakes and I get lost easily in what should have been said.

Anyway - about three months ago, shortly after returning to the Church, I prayed the rosary out loud - actually just whispering it since I was in the church (which has an amazing echo!) I was so incredibly moved by praying with my voice. I guess it made the whole thing very very real (which is important, but quite amazing to me!) and in praying the rosary out loud, I find it is actually easier to meditate on the mysteries. It’s like my mouth knows what to say and my mind can ponder the life of Christ.

I also don’t get lost or take forever on one prayer because my mind got sidetracked. I know exactly how long it will take to pray!

Anyway - since then, on occasion, I have prayed my petitions out loud. Whoa.

I guess it gives prayer a whole new dimension when I actually hear myself saying it.

Makes it very real to me I guess.

So - benefits in vocal prayer? Absolutely!
Vocal prayer required? I don’t think so.

Read up a bit in the Catechism about the different kinds of prayer - that might help.

=)
Kat

If your purpose in praying out loud is to make others know you’re praying, then its probably not the most good idea.

If your purpose is to help others pray along with you, or to keep yourself more focused and aware of your prayer, then go for it!

Its all in the reasoning.

Josh

40.png
threej_lc:
If your purpose in praying out loud is to make others know you’re praying, then its probably not the most good idea.

If your purpose is to help others pray along with you, or to keep yourself more focused and aware of your prayer, then go for it!

Its all in the reasoning.

Josh
No, I don’t want others to hear me, I do it it privately but I feel more connected to Jesus and Mary if I pray out loud. But as Fizendell mentioned, you can concentrate more and your mind isn’t wandering.

40.png
Joanne_ca:
No, I don’t want others to hear me, I do it it privately but I feel more connected to Jesus and Mary if I pray out loud. But as Fizendell mentioned, you can concentrate more and your mind isn’t wandering.
If you do it privately and it makes you feel more connected, then by all means pray out loud!

40.png
Joanne_ca:
Should we pray out loud? Does it matter if we just pray silently?
I read once that we should pray out loud when possible. I always feel that I should in order for them to be heard. I would appreciate any feed back on this topic.
I try to pray aloud more than I used to because it helps keep my mind from wondering. Sad as it is, I can’t help it.

I tried not praying for years and years, but ignoring God didn’t help me.

Sometimes, if I am in a place where no one else will hear me, I pray out loud. Not only does it help me focus, I think it’s a good way of expressing that I, like all humans, am a union of body and soul. It involves both my body and my soul in a prayer. Sometimes I pray using songs I hear, whether songs from Mass, other religious songs, or songs not intended to be religious that can be prayers if I intend to sing them to God. Then, I pray out loud. Most of the time, though, I do pray silently.

when I pray the LOTH out loud, especially the psalms, I have no trouble concentrating and staying with the prayer. when I pray it silently my mind wanders and I forget if I have even read the psalm, not really prayer in my book. I don’t do it when DH is around because he comes in and looks at me wierd.

Since Satan cannot read your thoughts, praying out loud is a good way to rebuke him without even intending it. it also is very annoying to demons, etc. whereas angels and spirits of God will realise they can help you by hearing what your prayers are. also, your guardian angel would probably like to knwo what you want help with most too…

40.png
jax8686:
Since Satan cannot read your thoughts, praying out loud is a good way to rebuke him without even intending it. it also is very annoying to demons, etc. whereas angels and spirits of God will realise they can help you by hearing what your prayers are. also, your guardian angel would probably like to knwo what you want help with most too…
Be careful there… the devil knows your thoughts and even tries to direct them from time to time. The only form of prayer the devil can on interperate is praying in tongues. That is a language only God and those with the gift from can understand.

Praying out loud helps some because you are involving another part of your body (your voice) in the prayer. But God still hears your silent prayers too.

40.png
jax8686:
Be careful there… the devil knows your thoughts and even tries to direct them from time to time. The only form of prayer the devil can not interperate is praying in tongues. That is a language only God and those with the gift from can understand.

Praying out loud helps some because you are involving another part of your body (your voice) in the prayer. But God still hears your silent prayers too.

40.png
Michels:
Be careful there… the devil knows your thoughts and even tries to direct them from time to time. The only form of prayer the devil can not interperate is praying in tongues. That is a language only God and those with the gift from can understand.

Actually if I’m not mistaken, the Church teaches that the Devil cannot read your thoughts and cannot control them. He can guess your thoughts and put many temptations in front of you.

Scott

40.png
puzzleannie:
when I pray the LOTH out loud, especially the psalms, I have no trouble concentrating and staying with the prayer. when I pray it silently my mind wanders and I forget if I have even read the psalm, not really prayer in my book. I don’t do it when DH is around because he comes in and looks at me wierd.
Ditto everything. In the Confraternity of Penitents we are required to pray the Office “labialiter” – moving our lips. I have permission not to do this if reading in a public place. Yes. Reciting these vocal prayers, or just “going through the motions” is very helpful.

Meditation and contemplative prayer, however, don’t fall into the same category, and I approach them in vocal silence, often leading to mental silence.

When I pray the Rosary, it helps me to keep my focus if I not only say the prayers out loud, but if I read the mysteries from the Bible as well.

-ACEGC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back