Praying the Rosary!

• Thread starter Thread starter bluezone7
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. I actually get distracted a lot while praying it. I’m not very good at praying it, but better that I pray it just because I think it is a good thing to do, than to not pray it at all.

Sometimes, it depends on what I’m praying for and when I meditate on the Sorrowful Mysteries.

I always find myself thinking of the sorrowful mysteries regardless of the day, and have to correct myself.

Sometimes i get emotional, but I find I concentrate well when i pray for a particular reason. Rather than generic praying.

In Christ.

Andre.

40.png
Flopfoot:
…I’m not very good at praying it, but better that I pray it just because I think it is a good thing to do, than to not pray it at all.
Code:
Then you are to be commended, since this is a start and you have built in determination. If you find yourself distracted, stay on the bead until you can refocus. This does 3 things. It sends a message to the temptor, 1/ "If you hang on, I'll make it a hell(literally) for you", 2/ it sends additional roses to Our Lady 3/ it allows you time to refocus while still not breaking the chain of prayers. 

But the answer is to make every prayer count from the start, and you do this by *listening* internally to your own words and their meaning, as well has focusing on the particular Mystery of that decade. The Rosary is contemplative prayer and they go hand in hand. More info at:

[www.theholyrosary.org](www.theholyrosary.org)

AndyF

40.png
bluezone7:
Do you get emotional when praying the Rosary?
No I don’t or well haven’t yet, but back in the summer in the privacy of my own livingroom, I could smell roses.

Considering I don’t have roses in the garden it was strange indeed, plus the windows were closed at the time, but tears no.

If you find yourself distracted, stay on the bead until you can refocus. This does 3 things. It sends a message to the temptor, 1/ “If you hang on, I’ll make it a hell(literally) for you”, 2/ it sends additional roses to Our Lady 3/ it allows you time to refocus while still not breaking the chain of prayers.

AndyF

Thank you, I have often found myself having to pause like this because I’ve wandered mentally or mixed up words of a prayer and always feel like I should not have done the rosary at all on days when I felt that I had done it badly, youve given me a new persective.

I was surprised to see the first option in this poll, because this keeps happening to me – as I am praying the rosary I will find tears coming out of my eyes, even though I am not feeling sad.

Last night when I was praying, I kept inadvertantly saying “St. Therese of the Child Jesus, pray for us” each and every time I said the Glory Be. Finally as it popped out again on my last Glory Be, I started laughing because I realized that St Therese was praying the rosary with me. Such a delightful thought.

40.png
dulcissima:
I was surprised to see the first option in this poll, because this keeps happening to me – as I am praying the rosary I will find tears coming out of my eyes, even though I am not feeling sad.

Me too! I cry thorugh most of the rosary, through a lot of the Mass too and now I have started crying when I try to do my daily reading from the Bible! I am not a very emotional person and can usually keep good control of my emotions but not in these situations. I’m not sad at all but feel joy, hope and excitment but keep crying! Why?

Gearoidin

40.png
Flopfoot:
Nope. I actually get distracted a lot while praying it. I’m not very good at praying it, but better that I pray it just because I think it is a good thing to do, than to not pray it at all.
I’m reading this book at the moment and would recommend it to one and all.
The Secret of the Rosary
by St. Louis De Montfort>>>>>>>> here’s part of it. rosary-center.org/secret.htm

40.png
Gearoidin:
Me too! I cry thorugh most of the rosary, through a lot of the Mass too and now I have started crying when I try to do my daily reading from the Bible! I am not a very emotional person and can usually keep good control of my emotions but not in these situations. I’m not sad at all but feel joy, hope and excitment but keep crying! Why?

Gearoidin
To you and the person that they quoted … I agree … I am usually not a very emotional person but while praying the rosary (or other chaplets/prayers but especially the rosary) I get very emotional. It seems like at that moment I put it all on the cross … I feel like (or I notice) that Jesus, Mary, the saints, and the angels are all there with me and for me. It feels amazing and awesoming! When people talk about all the Hail Marys said during the rosary and say it’s all about Mary they are so wrong … everytime I pray the rosary and focus on the mysteries I sense Jesus everywhere! Remember Mary said do whatever Jesus tells you to do! With every saint I see … I always see Jesus.

no, but be grateful for blessings of tears, laughter etc. while praying. for a long time, a long long time, my prayer has brought no sensible satisfaction or emotion at all, I think it is just my stage in life. If there is a satisfaction or sense of something, it is very subtle and fleeting, generally just a word of a prayer or reading that speaks to me very simply, or a thought that stays with me for the rest of the day.

40.png
Flopfoot:
Here’s a quote from St. Thomas Aquinas - well, a paraphrase actually becuase I don’t remember it exactly but here goes…

“If during prayer, you have to bring yourself back from distraction again and again, even if this is all you end up doing, it is time well spent.”

:confused: Anybody have the exact quote? 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back