pre 1054 info on divorce & remarriage

• Thread starter Thread starter soldonsacramnts
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

soldonsacramnts

in a discussion with an orthodox christian he asked for examples of “annulments” while proposing he thought repentence from a 1st marriage was good enough to get remarried and God would forgive the 1st mistake and so it would not be adultry. I need canon law, church fathers, 7 ecuminacal counsels anything pre 1054. teaching current catholic teaching. thanks!

this must be a very difficult question! I received no answer from ask an apoligist and no one here either. Can I get a free subscription to This Rock for stumping the pannel!

40.png
soldonsacramnts:
in a discussion with an orthodox christian he asked for examples of “annulments” while proposing he thought repentence from a 1st marriage was good enough to get remarried and God would forgive the 1st mistake and so it would not be adultry. I need canon law, church fathers, 7 ecuminacal counsels anything pre 1054. teaching current catholic teaching. thanks!
Justin Martyr:
Justin Martyr
“In regard to chastity, [Jesus] has this to say: ‘If anyone look with lust at a woman, he has already before God committed adultery in his heart.’ And, ‘Whoever marries a woman who has been divorced from another husband, commits adultery.’ According to our Teacher, just as they are sinners who contract a second marriage, even though it be in accord with human law, so also are they sinners who look with lustful desire at a woman. He repudiates not only one who actually commits adultery, but even one who wishes to do so; for not only our actions are manifest to God, but even our thoughts” (First Apology 15 [A.D. 151]).
Lots of good stuff at Catholic Answers:
The Permanence of Matrimony

Peace in Christ…Salmon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back