Precepts of the Church

  • Thread starter Thread starter lucybeebee
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lucybeebee

Guest
Does anyone know the origins of the Six Precepts of the Church? How can I defend the practice of going to Mass on every Sunday (as opposed to just doing private worship on Sunday or something similar) and hearing Mass on Holy Days of Obligation to non-Catholics?
 
It does seem perfectly reasonable if one chooses to worship in private? No where is it demanded that you regularly attend church. It is more of a strong suggestion for those that need the church.
 
It does seem perfectly reasonable if one chooses to worship in private? No where is it demanded that you regularly attend church. It is more of a strong suggestion for those that need the church.
No where, except in the Catholic Church (and maybe several others but I won’s speak for them).

The need to go to Mass (as opposed to private worship) is that ONLY in the Mass do we make present the Sacrifice that Jesus did at the Last Supper (consummated at Calgary) and this is the ultimate form of worship that Catholics can participate in. Because of this, the church requires us to go to mass each Sunday (or Saturday vigil).
 
No where, except in the Catholic Church (and maybe several others but I won’s speak for them).

The need to go to Mass (as opposed to private worship) is that ONLY in the Mass do we make present the Sacrifice that Jesus did at the Last Supper (consummated at Calgary) and this is the ultimate form of worship that Catholics can participate in. Because of this, the church requires us to go to mass each Sunday (or Saturday vigil).
That’s where the thin line between “G-d’s requirements, and the Church’s are one and the same.” Even in these modern times, I still don’t think we have all the interpretations 100% accurate(We are still Human after all). But it’s about the intentions in your heart that really matters right?
 
But it’s about the intentions in your heart that really matters right?
Well, not really. The intentions in your heart need to be based on reason and truth. You could be perfectly well intentioned and perfectly **wrong. **
 
Does anyone know the origins of the Six Precepts of the Church? How can I defend the practice of going to Mass on every Sunday (as opposed to just doing private worship on Sunday or something similar) and hearing Mass on Holy Days of Obligation to non-Catholics?
Well, there is no biblical requirement that we have to Worship in a church, however, it is important to fellowship and worship with other believers. We hold each other accountable. I think if someone worships by themselves, there is nothing biblically wrong with that, but it would be very easy to stop doing it because no one is there to encourage you continue to worship. Let me give you an example, I pay to go to a gym and I love going there(It is my version of a country club–just women). Because I have friends there that look forward to seeing me and we fellowship together, I keep going(well, and the fact that I dont want to get fat:o ). When I have tried to work out at home–alone–guess what happens–I end up not working out. I think that could happen with worship as well. It is so easy to get distracted at home and say OH Ill do it later and then forget.

People who dont go to church also miss out on meeting and talking with other believers who are a great support network. At my church when people are sick or are having babies or have a tragedy–we–as a congregation–are there–immediately to help. I dont know about you but my church is my second family.😃
 
Explaining the Sunday Obligation to Protestants is simpler if you explain the differences in what worship means to Catholics and to Protestants.

To Protestants, the highest form of Worship is prayer, in some churches it’s giving yourself to God.

To Catholics the highest form of Worship is what happens on the Altar at Mass; the sacrifice at calvary.

Protestant worship can be done in private, so it’s not necessary to go to church. Catholic worship must be done in the proper setting with a priest, so it cannot be done in private. It is thus necessary to go to Church. Overtime, the Church has provided us with the precepts that keep us ‘on the right track’ so to speak.
 
To Catholics the highest form of Worship is what happens on the Altar at Mass; the sacrifice at calvary.
Hi,
I mean no disrespect when I ask this. I was wondering about your comment. If this was true why does the CC only require you to partake only once a year. If the Eucharist was truly considered the highest form of Worship, wouldnt the CC then require you receive communion every Sunday instead of once a year. I know it is encouraged but that is different then a requirement.

I see the passion the catholics on here have regarding the Eucharist. It seems, though that the CC(Vatican) does not hold the Eucharist in as much high esteem as you guys do on this forum. I say this only because of what they require. Im sorry I just dont get it:confused:
 
Let’s start here, Matthew 16 -13,19
13 When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi 9 he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”
14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, 10 others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
16 Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.
18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”
If there is no need for a church, why did Jesus establish one?

If the Church could not bind and loose, why was Peter given that power?

Jesus did not provide the Apostles with an Operator’s Manual – he gave them a commission, and most of the “how” in accomlishing that commission was up to them. They established the Church in its present form (and did that pretty early in the game) and set the rules by which it is run.
 
Hi,
I mean no disrespect when I ask this. I was wondering about your comment. If this was true why does the CC only require you to partake only once a year. If the Eucharist was truly considered the highest form of Worship, wouldnt the CC then require you receive communion every Sunday instead of once a year. I know it is encouraged but that is different then a requirement.

I see the passion the catholics on here have regarding the Eucharist. It seems, though that the CC(Vatican) does not hold the Eucharist in as much high esteem as you guys do on this forum. I say this only because of what they require. Im sorry I just dont get it:confused:
Catholics are obligated to receive Communion once a year at Easter (the bare minimum to remain in the Church), but are also obligated to attend Mass (with or without receiving Communion) every Sunday and Holy Day of obligation.

It is not possible to “privately worship” to the same effect as at Mass. Christ said where two or three are gathered together in his name, he is in their midst. This is a benefit and relationship with Christ/God above what one receives alone (i.e., sitting in front of the T.V. Sunday morning watching football thinking about Christ during the commercials.)

Now, the ONLY thing by which Christ said he was to be remembered was the Mass: “this is my body…this is the cup of my blood…do this in memory of me.” So whatever it means for two or three to gather in his name, above all else it surely means the Sunday Mass. IMO, Christ was primarily referring to what would become the Mass when he said those words about two or three gathering in his name, he is in their midst.
 
To be honest, ALLFORHIM, I’m not entirely sure, but this would be my thinking:

The worship is observing, respecting, and assisting (Through prayers that the offering will be acceptable, which we say at every mass, ((Not to be confused with actually bringing about the transubstantiation, only the Priest can do that))) the sacrafice. Recieving the Eucharist is not the same as actually worshiping. It’s a sacrament, which is a little different.

The other reason we are not required to recieve as often as every Sunday is in case the parishoner has mortal sin on his concsience, in which case he can’t recieve that week. The requirement is to keep Catholics still recieving, without requireing they recieve every week.

I’m not sure I’m explaining myself very well. 😛 Do you sort of see what I’m saying? To be a practicing Catholic you must do these things, but the Church doesn’t want to micromanage your relationship with Christ (but they do want to make sure you at least do, and know, the bare minimum).
 
It does seem perfectly reasonable if one chooses to worship in private? No where is it demanded that you regularly attend church. It is more of a strong suggestion for those that need the church.
As NotWorthy has stated you are wrong on this matter. If you consider having a relationship with God then that, as any other, relationship carries with it some responsability. When one considers that in the Eucharist the real presence of Christ is manifested…how can you not want to be a part of it. It would be like saying you are happy with interacting with a person through emails but when invited to his home you object…that mentality will not allow you to develop a deep relationship with God. Even all protestants I know attest to the fact that communal worship is a NECCESSITY to obtain a true relationship with Jesus.

Also take the following
22"The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one;
23I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.
Unfortunetly today’s individualism has gone to the extent of proclaiming worship as an exclusively private event…WRONG. Yes we do have to have a true and personal relationship with God but that faith ought to be expressed in and towards the community.
The quote above is taken from John’s Gospel and it is part of what ultimately was Jesus’ last prayer for us before his crucifixion. Notice what the emphasis of his prayer is…“perfected in unity”…why?..“so that the world may believe you sent me”. It is the fragmentation of Christians and their mentality of exclusive (rather than inclusive) faith that has caused so much damage.

Also take
20"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."
Jesus makes an emphasis on communal rather than individual worshipping. Jesus even sends the apostles in pairs to do their mission rather than as individuals. A true Christian is not one that wishes to have God but one that desires to share, express and experience God through and with others. It really is sad that people still think that God is a person’s own private treasure that ought to be kept hidden from every one else and exclusively their own.
Another passage that I which to share is this one from Matthew 19:30
30"He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters.
The Christian call is a call to evangelisation, that is, to share the good news with others and gather people into a perfected unity (as seen from John). If we fail to reach out to others and allow ourselves to experience God in us then in Jesus’ own words…WE ARE AGAINST HIM.
And according to St. Paul
Since there is one bread, we who are many are one body; for we all partake of the one bread.
.
Do you partake of the one BREAD? Do you seek to be ONE body?
 
Hi,
I mean no disrespect when I ask this. I was wondering about your comment. If this was true why does the CC only require you to partake only once a year. If the Eucharist was truly considered the highest form of Worship, wouldnt the CC then require you receive communion every Sunday instead of once a year. I know it is encouraged but that is different then a requirement.

I see the passion the catholics on here have regarding the Eucharist. It seems, though that the CC(Vatican) does not hold the Eucharist in as much high esteem as you guys do on this forum. I say this only because of what they require. Im sorry I just dont get it:confused:
The whole Mass, not just the Eucharist, is the highest act of worship, because the Mass is the sacrifice of Calvary, re-presented in an unbloody manner. The resurrected Lord (in the Eucharist) offers Himself up for us for the forgiveness of sin and for grace to be poured out upon us. We are required to attend Mass every Sunday and every holy day of obligation because of the commandment to keep holy the Lord’s day. To receive Christ in the Eucharist, we must be in a state of grace (not conscious of any unconfessed mortal sin) in order to receive Christ in a worthy manner (1 Cor. 11) and observed the one-hour fast before reception of Holy Communion. The requirement to receive the Eucharist at least once a year is a bare minimum – there is also the requirement to confess mortal sins at least once a year. That doesn’t mean the Church thinks that’s the norm for everyone, but rather a bare minimum imposed to try to encourage the less devout to receive the sacraments they need at least on a yearly basis. We are encouraged to receive the Eucharist frequently, but if we’ve committed mortal sin, we shouldn’t receive the Eucharist at Mass if we haven’t gone to confession, but attending Mass is fine and beneficial for us. Likewise, if we eat right before going to Mass, we should show respect for the Lord and not receive Him, but we still receive graces at Mass even if we don’t partake of the Eucharist – we still hear the Word of God and participate in prayer and worship.

I don’t understand where you get the impression that the Church doesn’t hold the Eucharist in the same regard Catholics on this forum do. A couple of years ago John Paul II wrote an encyclical on the Eucharist and the Church teaches the Eucharist is the source and summit of our faith. It doesn’t get any higher than that:)
 
To be honest, ALLFORHIM, I’m not entirely sure, but this would be my thinking:

The worship is observing, respecting, and assisting (Through prayers that the offering will be acceptable, which we say at every mass, ((Not to be confused with actually bringing about the transubstantiation, only the Priest can do that))) the sacrafice. Recieving the Eucharist is not the same as actually worshiping. It’s a sacrament, which is a little different.

The other reason we are not required to recieve as often as every Sunday is in case the parishoner has mortal sin on his concsience, in which case he can’t recieve that week. The requirement is to keep Catholics still recieving, without requireing they recieve every week.

I’m not sure I’m explaining myself very well. 😛 Do you sort of see what I’m saying? To be a practicing Catholic you must do these things, but the Church doesn’t want to micromanage your relationship with Christ (but they do want to make sure you at least do, and know, the bare minimum).
Hi,
Thank you for trying to explain. Im not sure I totally get it but thanks anyway.😃
 
I
don’t understand where you get the impression that the Church doesn’t hold the Eucharist in the same regard Catholics on this forum do. A couple of years ago John Paul II wrote an encyclical on the Eucharist and the Church teaches the Eucharist is the source and summit of our faith. It doesn’t get any higher than that:)
Hi,
Thanks for explaining. Although I already knew what you have just stated. As far as what I quoted from you above, it was from my own thinking from what I have heard on the forums. Everyone on here is so passionate about what the Eucharist means–correct?If the Eucharist is the source and summit of the faith then why wouldnt the Vatican make it required every Sunday, I guess is what Im asking.:confused:
 
LoL. Well A for Effort then. Maybe Veritas’ explanation will be easier to understand.

Basically, in my understading, The Mass is the highest form of worship because Jesus is sacrificed. The Sacrifice itself is the worship, Jesus giving up his life for our sins. That’s the worship. The Eucharist isn’t worship, because in it we recieve God’s grace. Sort of like We offer things to God when we worship him, not the other way around.

…Maybe a bit more understandable? Oh well. God Bless!
 
Hi,
Thanks for explaining. Although I already knew what you have just stated. As far as what I quoted from you above, it was from my own thinking from what I have heard on the forums. Everyone on here is so passionate about what the Eucharist means–correct?If the Eucharist is the source and summit of the faith then why wouldnt the Vatican make it required every Sunday, I guess is what Im asking.:confused:
Because a person may not be able to receive the Eucharist in a worthy manner every Sunday. We can attend Mass in a state of mortal sin, but we cannot receive the Eucharist in a state of mortal sin.
 
LoL. Well A for Effort then. Maybe Veritas’ explanation will be easier to understand.

Basically, in my understading, The Mass is the highest form of worship because Jesus is sacrificed. The Sacrifice itself is the worship, Jesus giving up his life for our sins. That’s the worship. The Eucharist isn’t worship, because in it we recieve God’s grace. Sort of like We offer things to God when we worship him, not the other way around.

…Maybe a bit more understandable? Oh well. God Bless!
Hi,
As a teacher, I will give you an A+ for effort:thumbsup: :clapping: Also, because I am not catholic it will take me a longer time to understand if ever.
 
Explaining the Sunday Obligation to Protestants is simpler if you explain the differences in what worship means to Catholics and to Protestants.

To Protestants, the highest form of Worship is prayer, in some churches it’s giving yourself to God.

To Catholics the highest form of Worship is what happens on the Altar at Mass; the sacrifice at calvary.

Protestant worship can be done in private, so it’s not necessary to go to church. Catholic worship must be done in the proper setting with a priest, so it cannot be done in private. It is thus necessary to go to Church. Overtime, the Church has provided us with the precepts that keep us ‘on the right track’ so to speak.
Thank you. This distinction is very helpful.👍
 
Hi,
Thanks for explaining. Although I already knew what you have just stated. As far as what I quoted from you above, it was from my own thinking from what I have heard on the forums. Everyone on here is so passionate about what the Eucharist means–correct?If the Eucharist is the source and summit of the faith then why wouldnt the Vatican make it required every Sunday, I guess is what Im asking.:confused:
It’s precisely BECAUSE the Church (and of course, St. Paul in 1st Corinthians, ch. 11) is so passionate about the Eucharist, that they don’t make you receive it every week. As Paul states, he who eats the bread and drinks the cup in an unworthy manner, eats and drinks judgement upon himself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top