Predominately Catholic areas in the US?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sanpablo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steubenville, OH…😃
It really was a great place to grow up :), the University really makes it a great Catholic center…except there really is not a lot of jobs, etc. since the steel mills closed down…:o
I’m going to be attending Franciscan, so this is really good to hear!
Are you just looking for Catholic based on numbers, or Catholic based on practicing and loyalty to the Church? They are two different things in many instances.
Mostly I’m wondering about the latter, maybe areas, like small towns or neighborhoods of cities that are truly Catholic, practicing and loyal. I just think it’d be really cool to be able to see an area like that, or live somewhere like that.
 
Statistics on the number of Catholics in each city/county level can be found here: thearda.com/

Here are some numbers that I found on the website for various cities mentioned in this thread:

Boston (Suffolk County): 45%
Chicago (Cook County): 40%
New York (Brooklyn): 37%
New Jersey (Essex County): 35%
Cincinnati (Hamilton County): 26.9%
St. Louis (City): 20.3%

I’m not sure how any of these compare to the national average, because the website didn’t offer national averages computed with the same methodology as the data…
Good information, but keep in mind some people might call themselves Catholic and not really participate or anything. Some people where raised that way but may not be practicing.

I’ve heard of some people calling themself Jewish just because they reject the Messianic claims of Jesus-we all know it takes alot more than that to be Jewish.
 
As far out in the country as you can get in west-central Ohio. I jokingly refer to the area as a Catholic ghetto. The area is parts of two counties–Mercer and Auglaise. Some of the small towns in the area are well above 95% Catholic.
 
According to the other thread, they cancel Mass for football - so, maybe not so much anymore.
What thread? I’ve certaintly never heard of any Mass being cancelled for football. You should see Christ the King on LSU’s campus on game day. The Church is packed with purple and gold-except for the priest of course. He’s the only one in black.
 
Good information, but keep in mind some people might call themselves Catholic and not really participate or anything. Some people where raised that way but may not be practicing.
**
I’ve heard of some people calling themself Jewish just because they reject the Messianic claims of Jesus-we all know it takes alot more than that to be Jewish.**
Eeeeeeeeeeeee… :eek:

Sorry, couldn’t help it.
 
Scranton PA Area Representin…Strong Catholic Population
I live in Scranton too, (thanks for the heads up to this post agapewolf), but I’m not sure I’d call it “strong” Catholic population. There are many “liberal” Catholics here and many that were raised but abandoned it during or after Catholic schooling. I’d imagine the true-to-the-Church population to be somewhat low now-a-days.

I live in the hill section, am a KofC, and my parish in Immaculate Conception.

There are many Catholic churches, but half of them got closed down in the diocese last year. We are still without a bishop, and Bishop Martino was awesome. 😦
 
My Baptist university is >20% Catholic. 😃

I think there are definitely pockets of Texas that are very Catholic, especially the further south you go.
 
I’m going to be attending Franciscan, so this is really good to hear!

Mostly I’m wondering about the latter, maybe areas, like small towns or neighborhoods of cities that are truly Catholic, practicing and loyal. I just think it’d be really cool to be able to see an area like that, or live somewhere like that.
Then you should look at the strongest DIOCESE, if you want a good Catholic area. There are many solid Diocese and many that aren’t. Personally, I have nothing but praise for the Rockford Diocese. It is rock solid here!!! I don’t know how many parishes I’ve visited here, but every mass and homily is rock solid!!! Then again, in Chicagoland, it has a great reputation with the Magisterium loving Catholics and a negative reputation with those who believe that the Church needs to change to more “progressive” ideals.
 
Grosse Pointe MI, though I’ve noticed a lot more protestant churches creeping up around the borders as of late. Baptist “Mission” churches mostly. But to date, it’s still strongly Catholic. Also a great little community in which to raise a family.
 
Was that offensive? I apologize if it was! That wasn’t my intention at all.
Oh no, please don’t apologize. I should apologize for replying in an ambiguous way. YOU were not offensive in the least. 🙂

The concept of non-Jews calling themselves Jewish is something I find somewhat surprising (and a little unsettling) but you were merely reporting this information.

Carry on…

BTW – I really like your signature line. I:thumbsup:
 
I have to second St. Louis, MO. The stat that was posted might be misleading, as it only pertains to the city, whereas most people live in the outlying counties. There is a strong orthodox Catholic community here–check out sites like Rome of the West and St. Louis Catholic if you don’t believe me. 👍
 
Scranton Like NY and Boston has a lot of Catholics and a lot of democrats. Much of the time that can be an oxymon but it doesn’t have to be if people would stick to their convictions.
 
Rascalking

Why are you an irritated Catholic if you do not mind my asking?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top