Presumption of God's mercy

• Thread starter Thread starter Joseph
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joseph

Dear All,

I was reviewing the list of the Six Sins Against the Holy Spirit. The first one listed is the"presumption of God’s mercy." What does this mean? Underwhat circumstances does one presume on God’s mercy? Does it mean that there is a limit to His mercy while we are alive?

I can understand that if one is “obstinant in sin” (sin #5), one should not presume that, given this execise of our free will, God would show mercy or that we would be able to receive His mercy.

Is there another situation or set of circumstances in which one would presume upon God’s mercy?

Thanks and God bless!

Joseph

40.png
Joseph:
Dear All,

I was reviewing the list of the Six Sins Against the Holy Spirit. The first one listed is the"presumption of God’s mercy." What does this mean? Underwhat circumstances does one presume on God’s mercy? Does it mean that there is a limit to His mercy while we are alive?

I can understand that if one is “obstinant in sin” (sin #5), one should not presume that, given this execise of our free will, God would show mercy or that we would be able to receive His mercy.

Is there another situation or set of circumstances in which one would presume upon God’s mercy?

Thanks and God bless!

Joseph
Presumption of God’s mercy is saying “I can do whatever I want and God will save me in the end”. It is the opposite of what St. Paul said “Work out your salvation with trembling and fear.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back