Priest & Deacon Sitting while Tabernacle is Open

• Thread starter Thread starter Susanm
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Susanm

HI
I have noticed that some Priests and Deacons (after Communion) go to their chairs and sit down while the tabernacle is still open!
Is this proper?
Is there and Cannon Law that requires Priests and deacons to stand or kneel while the Blessed Sacrament is exposed?

My husband isn’t home, so I can’t answer whether or not it is a Canon. He is a new deacon (8 months). At his internship parish, and his assigned parish, the priest sits. I have attended Masses where both the priest and deacon sit, but it never seems to happen at the more orthodox parishes. My husband kneels until the tablernacle is closed.

Many deacons also do not kneel at the epiclesis during the consecration. The GIRM is very clear on that.

I did notice that while our pastor and other priests have and do sit while Communion is still being distributed. During the Mass celebrated by our new Bishop. The Bishop remained at the foot of the sanctuary until all had received Communion, even though he had finished distributing. Then he returned to his chair but remained standing until the Blessed Sacrament was returned to the tabernacle. I also noticed that he did not applaud with the congregation while he was still in the sanctuary prior to the final blessing, when the pastor said a few things and recognized a few individuals.

Many deacons also do not kneel at the *epiclesis [/quote said:
during the consecration. The GIRM is very clear on that.
Sue, I don’t know how old your husband is but thank God he is healthy enough to kneel. But there are some of us old guys like myself who cannot kneel because of old bad knees and a bad back. I have to bow and I can’t genuflect because if I do my pain level gets so high I am unable to sleep or fucntion for a couple of days. I might get down but I can’t get up. :crying:

The other Deacon in our Parish is older than I!

DigitalDeacon

My husband and I are changing parishes partly because of the lack of reverence towards the Eucharist at the parish we currently attend. I do not want to judge the priests who sit before the Consecrated Hosts are in the Tabernacle, but I do want to teach my children a theologically consistent view of the Eucharist. If we really believe that the Eucharist is God made manifestly present, then He deserves our respect and attention. For me, it’s about consistancy and respect.

First – According to the GIRM, the people either sit or kneel in the period of silence following communion, according to parish policy. If it applie to the people that includes the minister.

Second – For the next (appox) fifteen minuites you and everyone arround you is a tabernacle of Jesus Christ, he is physically present inside of you just as he is in the tabernacle. It frustrates me that people get so focused on that Gold set of doors and miss the whole point of COMMUNION namely that we are in communion with one another because we have within us the true presence of Christ.

Once you receive, if you truely want to respect the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist, you should be genuflecting and bowing to everyone arround you. They are all walking tabernacles of Christ’s True Presence.

You said you wanted to teach your children the faith in a consistant manner, might I suggest you stay where you are and “offer it up” there is nothing more Catholic than that.

God Bless,
RP

Thanks - the focus was not on the gold set of doors, when I travel I have the opportunity to visit many Churches across the country, it is interesting to see the many different ways that people approach Mass and Communion, we have always - after Communion kneel at our Parish - I just noticed recently that the Deacon and Priest sit (while the Tabernacle is still open) our Priest did not respond to inquires, our Deacon said that he has no place to kneel and he had been standing all that time and needed to sit, guess he have bad knees at 50

In reading my earlier response, I realize it may have come across more harsh than I intended. If it was taken that way, please forgive my excesses of emotion.

God Bless

40.png
DigitalDeacon:
Sue, I don’t know how old your husband is but thank God he is healthy enough to kneel. But there are some of us old guys like myself who cannot kneel because of old bad knees and a bad back. I have to bow and I can’t genuflect because if I do my pain level gets so high I am unable to sleep or fucntion for a couple of days. I might get down but I can’t get up. :crying:

The other Deacon in our Parish is older than I!

DigitalDeacon
DD, of course if it is a health problem, you should not be made to feel badly for sitting. I think the original question had somthing to do with protecting the tabernacle as it stands open during Holy Communion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back