Priests and self defense?

• Thread starter Thread starter opop
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

opop

I remember reading that priests don’t have the right to use lethal force for self defense, because they have to imitate Christ who gave his life instead of defending himself. From what I learned, priests may have the right and duty to use lethal force for the defense of others, but not for themselves.
Is any of this true? Please provide sources for your answer if you can.

I too would be curious where you read this.

I doubt it is a hard and fast rule, but it could easily be a Christian opinion. It’s not just for priests either. If you are in a state of grace and your attacker is not, taking his life might condemn him, but sparing his life would give him the opportunity to repent and be saved. No one has greater love than this…

Last edited:
Sadly I don’t remember where I read this. I think it was an old Catholic dictionary or encyclopedia, but I’m not sure. That’s why I’m asking if anyone knows something about this.

Last edited:
In the 1917 Code of Canon Law, which has been replaced by the 1983 Code of Canon Law, included a canon which required priests to abstain from actions which were seen as unbecoming to their state of life. Included among these were the carrying of arms (unless they were in a state of a “just cause of fear”). (Hunting was also proscribed.)

I’ve underlined the relevant clause:
Can. 138. Clerici ab iis omnibus quae statum suum dedecent, prorsus abstineant: indecoras artes ne exerceant; aleatoriis ludis, pecunia exposita, ne vacent; arma ne gestent, nisi quando iusta timendi causa subsit; venationi ne indulgeant, clamorosant antem nunquam exerceant; tabernas aliaque similia loca sine necessitate aut alia iusta causa ab Ordinario loci probata ne ingrediantur.
Just to reiterate: the 1917 Code is no longer in effect, and the 1983 Code has no such canon.

Perhaps this is where the idea came from?

I found a translation for the 1917 code
Canon 138. Clerics must abstain from all things that are unbecoming arts; not play games of chance with money; not carry weapons, unless there is justified cause for fear; not indulge in hunting and never in that kind of hunting that is done with much display and publicity; not visit saloons and places of the same nature except in cases of necessity for any other just cause approved by the Ordinary
Even here it is suggested that self-defense is allowable. I asked my pastor this morning if he was aware of this. He said he had never heard of it and he owns a gun.

Last edited:
Indeed it seems to imply that priests may use lethal force for their own defense. So I guess what I read was some kind of theological opinion or something.

not indulge in hunting and never in that kind of hunting that is done with much display and publicity;
Hmm. A priest I knew as a child must not have got this memo. He was a big game hunter and had plenty of trophies of his hunts.

I think your right. Even my pastor said that he thought many priest would not protect themselves if they had to kill someone else.

That code also suggested that men and women sit apart in Church. Never saw that done.

40.png
TMC:
It changed in 1983, I believe. This was waaay before 1983. (I am not a young man.)
I think it was one of those laws that wasn’t really enforced.
At least in the US. I’ve seen pictures from early 20th Century - I believe from Poland - where the sexes were seated apart in church.

I remember reading that priests don’t have the right to use lethal force for self defense, because they have to imitate Christ who gave his life instead of defending himself. From what I learned, priests may have the right and duty to use lethal force for the defense of others, but not for themselves.
It’s not true. Priests are just as entitled to use force to defend against an aggressor as the rest of us. They may choose not to, but there’s no obligation not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back