Priorities

• Thread starter Thread starter Auriella
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Auriella

a Kempis says of God:

“I am accustomed to visiting My elect in two ways, that is, by trial and by comfort. And I read them daily two lessons, one to rebuke their vices, the other to exhort them to the increase of virtues.”

St. Thomas Aquinas says:

“In God, there is another perfection; all goodness is pleasing to Him by nature, always and everywhere, whether it be in angels, in men, or in other creatures…Similarly, all evil displeases God everywhere and always and in whatever it exists. As justice is the enemy of injustice and impurity of purity, so the malice of man opposes the goodness of God, because it lessens or even completely destroys the divine good that grace gives to nature.”

Oswald Chambers (My Utmost for His Highest) wrote:

“When a man is born from above, the life of the Son of God is born in him, and he can either starve that life or nourish it. Prayer is the way the life of God is nourished.”

(personal note: I make no apologies for being Catholic Christian, and anyone of any other faith can relate to the importance of prayer whether it be to Yahweh, Allah or some other name of God.)

my thots

I am convicted. These thoughts on God plainly testify that I spend less time with God and have less focus than, say, the effort I give toward a hot bath or the evening news. There’s nothing wrong in either of those things.

My error is in the importance I mentally, spiritually, physically attach to such things. I pray, yes, but I do not pray as if it were vitally important to my life. If I talked to my friends the way I talk to God, I wouldn’t have any friends.

I say to God, do this please, do that please, forgive this, strengthen that, and oh let’s hurry this up so I can watch my TV show. A trip to the grocery store holds my attention longer. A wise friend once said to me, “I may not be much, but I’m all I think about!”

I’m so glad God is merciful, so glad. I’m not just a sinner; I’m a fool. God holds out His arms to me, and often my reply is, “No, thanks. Not today please.” Or even, “Wait until I finish this other thing.”

Hi Auriella,
A wise friend once said to me, “I may not be much, but I’m all I think about!”
:rotfl: Isn’t that the truth, though? We love ourselves greatly until the Lord redeems us from this futile pasttime. I love the words in our Eucharistic Prayer IV that is sometimes used at Mass:

And so that we may live no longer for ourselves, You sent the Holy Spirit from you, Father, as your first gift to those who believe, to complete His work on earth and bring us to the fullness of grace.

You are very insightful! Thanks for sharing!

🙂 Carole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back