Process of becoming Catholic

• Thread starter Thread starter philangcatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

philangcatholic

Its been a long time since I’ve posted on this forum. The last time I posted I was an Anglo-Catholic who believed that the Anglican church, Orthodox church, and Roman Catholic Church were all parts of Christ’s Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. I have now come to realize that the Roman Catholic Church is the only Catholic and Apostolic Church. The Anglican Communion’s corrupt and liberal attitude revealed this to me in the light of gay priesthood ordinations, the ordination of women, and just a whole sense of a liberal attitude.

So, I’ve decided to become a Roman Catholic. How long does the process take and when can I receive Holy Communion?

When you’ve struggled for years with this decision and have finally taken that last teensy-weensy baby step across the threshold of Rome, you think (with some justification) that things should happen quickly. They usually don’t.

Go to your parish (if you’re a former High Church Anglican, use extra care in finding a place that won’t drive you nuts; Anglican nerves are so finely tuned that the transition can be very difficult) and present your case. Likely the soonest would be Easter Vigil. But if they feel you are insufficiently familiar with all things “Catholick” then it could be an additional year.

As one who had to wait 10 months, I can say that although it hurt a lot, that wait was a very good time. It made me realize how much this meant to me and convinced me that whatever it took, whatever they would ask of me, I would do it. That, of course, is perfect 20-20 hindsight. At the time it was agony.

Godspeed.

PhilAng:

RCIA is the process…there’s many q&a’s about it on this forum already. Just about every parish has this and so I think it wouldn’t be difficult to find in Baltimore. Where you live should have a parish that offers this…but get some info from well connected Catholics in your area and they’ll be able to direct you to a parish with a strong program.

I think you can anticipate two things in RCIA: one, that your freedom of conscience and action is given priority, that you will not be forced to act on anything that you’re not ready for. Two, you will appreciate the honesty in which all questions are answered. There’s really no sugar coating anything. When my wife took it, she was impressed that Catholics do not shy away from any questions but address them accordingly.

Lastly, may the Glorious God grant you graces to embark on this most special of all journeys-to his household. We here are always available to bounce ideas with should you wish and as often as you wish.

in XT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back