Program Upcoming on Marian Apparitions

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

Church history is replete with similar stories of such mystical encounters — known as Marian apparitions — many of which are thoughtfully examined in “Visions of Mary,” an intelligent and balanced documentary airing Easter Sunday, March 27, 8-10 p.m. PST on cable’s History Channel.

Done by Paulist Productions.

the-tidings.com/2005/0318/tvmary.htm

I watched it last night, and was pleasantly surprised. Typically History Channel documentaries about church history are very biased and anti catholic. This one actually gave a good, positive outlook on many apparitions, and covered La Solette, Lourdes, Knock, Fatima, Egypt, etc. It even had Fr. Benedict Groeshel giving a lot of commentary. Some may say they were overlerly positive of Medjugorje and Garbandal, but for a secular stations, who cares?

Sorry for the terrible spelling.

Josh

40.png
threej_lc:
I watched it last night, and was pleasantly surprised. Typically History Channel documentaries about church history are very biased and anti catholic. This one actually gave a good, positive outlook on many apparitions, and covered La Solette, Lourdes, Knock, Fatima, Egypt, etc. It even had Fr. Benedict Groeshel giving a lot of commentary. Some may say they were overlerly positive of Medjugorje and Garbandal, but for a secular stations, who cares?

Sorry for the terrible spelling.

Josh
Not to worry I got the meaning. Thanks for the update. I tried to watch it but as luck would hve it - couldn’t do it. Now I’ll look for the rerun and try to catch it. Im looking forward to the 5 parter on Revelations. I hope it’s good.

very interesting program, did not seem to go overboard in expressing either approval or denigration of the visionaries, and none of the history channel’s usual gratuitous attacks on the Church. careful to show how deliberate the Church is in approving visions. I have never heard of that Mexican nun in California who was shown near the end of the program, and do not see her listed on any of the apparitions tracking websites. Does anyone have any further info on her?

I too was pleasantly surprised with how well the Marian apparitions were presented. Father Benedict Groeschel…sorry if I am mis-spelling his name… was also interviewed. He was very good to say the least.I felt for once it was a very fair documentary.

40.png
puzzleannie:
very interesting program, did not seem to go overboard in expressing either approval or denigration of the visionaries, and none of the history channel’s usual gratuitous attacks on the Church. careful to show how deliberate the Church is in approving visions. I have never heard of that Mexican nun in California who was shown near the end of the program, and do not see her listed on any of the apparitions tracking websites. Does anyone have any further info on her?
If this is the woman who wrapped herself in white sheets and hauled all kinds of poor folks out into some spot in the desert and claimed to heal people, she was out of the Diocese of Fresno and a long time ago they warned anyone about having anything to do with it.

Now I’m sorry I missed it! 😦 I thought it was going to be another History Channel “bashing” of religion. My husband watches HC all the time…I’ve renamed it “The Hitler Channel”!! Will have to keep an eye on the rerun. Thanks for the review. I learn so many things on this forum!!

God Bless…
Colleen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back