Promise keepers? Is it ok for Catholics to attend?

• Thread starter Thread starter I_thirst_4_YOU
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

I_thirst_4_YOU

A bunch of friends of mine are going to attend the “promise keepers” tour this summer when it comes to my city. I was wondering what the Catholic take is on them itself.

I know we have St. Joseph Covenant Keepers, but i was just wondering if the promise keepers were anti-catholic at all or if they will be teaching anything contrary to catholic thought.

I went to a promise keepers thing in Wichita once.

It was very inspirational. Some good songs, some were just loud.

Some really great speakers, protestant mostly. Only one speaker bugged me a little when he made fun of people who attend Church as a solemn ceremony as opposed to a rock ‘n’ roll celebration, I guess. Other than that, they had a great message and the one I went to had some fantastic speaking on race relations.

At the time I was not really concerned with whether it matched Catholic teachings, nor might I have detected certain slights.

Some of their music, though, is awesome. There’s one about “building the kingdom of God” and one “lord i lift your name on high.” That is, if you like that sort of up-beat Christian music.

Feminists protest promise keepers, too. That’s one thing going for it. 🙂 When my grad school advisor, a Baptist, went to a gathering in Colorado, feminists actually hired airplanes to fly around the stadium with anti-Christian and anti-male messages! I figure that is an indicator the Holy Spirit is at work, when all of satan’s forces are out against it.

Alan

usccb.org/laity/marriage/promise.htm

Believe it or not, because this question has been raised to many Catholic priests and bishops, the US Catholic Council of bishops has responded and even has a link for you to check out. Very interesting read.

stbruno said:
usccb.org/laity/marriage/promise.htm

Believe it or not, because this question has been raised to many Catholic priests and bishops, the US Catholic Council of bishops has responded and even has a link for you to check out. Very interesting read.

I tried to go on the link, but it must be expired.

This weekend in Cleveland, Promise Keepers is here. I am not.

I attended the last meeting in 2002. Yes, Very inspiring, but I felt I was at a ‘pep rally for Jesus’ than one that would include ALL the heavenly hosts.

Yes, the music was loud!
St. Joseph’s Covent Keepers has yet to appear here. 😦 :crying:

The only people I’ve ever know to attend those meetings were virulent anti-Catholic fundies.
That was enough info about them for me.

40.png
catsrus:
The only people I’ve ever know to attend those meetings were virulent anti-Catholic fundies.
I love hanging around virulent anti-Catholic fundies, especially if they don’t yet know I’m Catholic. That gives me the advantage of a surprise inside attack.

Like Paul, I become like them but just choose my words carefully so that I’m trying to focus them a bit rather than admitting to their charges. They think I’m one of them, but they are fooled because they read what they wanted to hear into what I said simply because I was echoing them. Like I’ll say, “so are you saying Catholics are legalistic. Hmmm, I’ve heard others say that but I want to make sure I understand your view.” All I do is keep them talking, and then they supply me with lots of good information I can use later to trap them in their own thought corner.

Then all of a sudden in the conversation I change point of view and interject some hint like, “sometimes I think Catholics appear that way, but most of us probably give that appearance because blah blah blah” All of a sudden he thinks “us?” Wait a minute I thought you were one of US not THEM and then they get all self-conscious about what they said and they convict themselves in their own hearts which is easier than trying to do it myself. 😃

Of course, whether they convict themselves for being uncharitable and wrong, or for simply revealing too much is up to God and them.

Alan

Alan, I admire your calm ability to “fiddle” with fundies minds. I wish I could, but I see red and all bets are off.
I’m only a three year convert so maybe I will calm down in time. But given my personality, I’ll probably always have to walk away.

I think there is a Catholic flavor Promise Keepers. I saw a web page on it once.

I have so many fundy friends. I work with many and I don’t hear a lot of anti-Catholic stuff. Of course, I do choose my friends.

One of my best friends at work, a lovely young man, Evangelical, loved Pope John Paul II and also loves our new Holy Father.

Over 50 years ago, I was an anti-Catholic fundy so I do know where they are coming from and know what changed my heart. I would rather teach than fight.

I am God mother to over 50 converts, most former fundies. I feel really good about that.

40.png
catsrus:
Considering the size of the rallies, I find it difficult to believe your personal experience represents the organization as a whole. Business and politics brings me in contact with many (thousands over the last decade) evangelicals and New Age types. In addition I was raised a very liberal prot. Very rarely have I run across virulent anti-Catholicism.

I thirst 4 YOU!:
A bunch of friends of mine are going to attend the “promise keepers” tour this summer when it comes to my city. I was wondering what the Catholic take is on them itself.

I know we have St. Joseph Covenant Keepers, but i was just wondering if the promise keepers were anti-catholic at all or if they will be teaching anything contrary to catholic thought.
Promise Keepers is a Baptist revival. I wouldn’t go to it.

catsrus said:
Alan, I admire your calm ability to “fiddle” with fundies minds. I wish I could, but I see red and all bets are off.
I’m only a three year convert so maybe I will calm down in time. But given my personality, I’ll probably always have to walk away.

Until very recently I was also too timid, emotional, angry, etc to go amid people who disagreed. A couple years ago my psychiatrist actually insisted I quit all my parish leadership positions because I couldn’t deal with conflict.

That’s all changed, though. I’ve learned not to care about anything or anyone. That is, I have no anxiety based on what they will do. If they are my friends they will act like it, and if not then their problems aren’t my problems as long as they are just blowing steam. Sticks and stones may break my bones but their blasphemy will never hurt me.

It helps to think of them as so inconsequential that you have absolutely no concern over what they say. Recognize that you have power over them as long as you do not let them see you sweat. Most of the time I think when we get mad it’s because we are really concerned whether the other person understands our view and validates it, all the better if they accept it. If you’re confident in you faith, then who cares what they say?

Once you’ve gotten to that point, look at them like they have a big prideful zit that has to pop. You can’t pinch the zit because they think you’re hurting them. So you swell it up by feeding their pride as much as possible. The ultimate, once they have thoroughly exhalted themselves, is for them to find out that you are the person over whom they just clearly exalted themselves. Suddenly they’re apologizing to me all over the place. What’s funny is I don’t care if they apologize; I think it’s good for them to make asses out of themselves in such a way they can’t blame it on me. If they don’t learn anything, well then I still don’t care what they say. If they have coherent criticism I’ll listen to it, for the sake of Truth, but their emotional pushiness can’t push me around because I’ve been pushed around by some of the best professional mind shrinkers.

Actually my enjoyment of being around them isn’t all about one-upping them; I actually enjoy being around different people to experience different points of view. Even if it be people hostile to my own cause, I still like to know how they think because I’m curious and the better I understand people who think differently than I do the less I fear them.

Alan

A couple of men from the Men’s Fellowship group I belong to attended PK today in Cleveland.

One of the men is highly a profile member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), mostly a Protestant group. I have talked to my friend, and he seems to think Catholism is 'PART" of the Body of Christ, as a whole.

Catholic Men really NEED to follow a group like St. Joseph’s Covenant Keepers or other groups like this for Catholic Men.
At times I believe PK, ‘steal’ Catholic Men away from their Parish because it’s all ‘a big show full of touchy-feely rock concert’.

This is the group that we have in NE Ohio:
cmfneo.org/

Now wait a second. I’ve been to promise keepers, and it is not an evil thing. I think a lot of people protest it without ever having known what it is.
My dad went to it as a catholic who was slightly discontented with the church, and it sparked a new life in him that eventually led to him becoming a pastor at a protestant church.
Since then, we have actually stopped attending mostly out of a frusteration with funding and mailing(they sent tons and tons of mail asking my dad to sign up for a pledge, when he already had. The money the spent soliciting people who were already funding them could have gone towards actually funding them.)

So, i guess with that perspective, PK stole a catholic man for the protestant church, but wasn’t God glorified in it anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back