Proof I'm a Catholic?

• Thread starter Thread starter LabChick
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LabChick

New to the forums, so sorry if this is contrite.

What physical proof should I have that I am Catholic?

I was baptised as a Protestant, but attended Catholic mass from age 12 onward. When I was in my early 20’s, while serving in the military in Bosnia, I fully converted to Catholism (profession of faith, confirmation, first Eucharist).

My question arises from my cousin’s upcoming wedding. She and her fiance both had to produce copies of their baptismal certificates in order to be married in the Church. I don’t intend to marry soon, but when the time comes, I don’t want the quibble of having to prove my faith. Is there some documentation I should’ve received when I was confirmed?

You should be able to obtain a certificate verifying your confirmation from the church where it occurred.

First you need your official Catholic Card and then learn the secret hand shake!! 😃

Yeah, I think proof of confirmation would work. 👍

40.png
LabChick:
New to the forums, so sorry if this is contrite.

What physical proof should I have that I am Catholic?

I was baptised as a Protestant, but attended Catholic mass from age 12 onward. When I was in my early 20’s, while serving in the military in Bosnia, I fully converted to Catholism (profession of faith, confirmation, first Eucharist).

My question arises from my cousin’s upcoming wedding. She and her fiance both had to produce copies of their baptismal certificates in order to be married in the Church. I don’t intend to marry soon, but when the time comes, I don’t want the quibble of having to prove my faith. Is there some documentation I should’ve received when I was confirmed?
I recommend contacting the Church in which you received your First Communion…Confirmation, etc…and ask them to type up some certificates for you…then just file them away and keep up with them.

40.png
LabChick:
When I was in my early 20’s, while serving in the military in Bosnia, I fully converted to Catholism (profession of faith, confirmation, first Eucharist).

Chick,

Assuming you received these sacraments from a military chaplain, go to the website of the Archdiocese for the Military Services of the US (the Military Ordinariate). There is an online form by which one can obtain copies of any needed sacramental records to document sacraments received during their US military service. Go to:

milarch.org/resources/pop_sacramental_request.cfm

Many years,

Neil

Irish Melkite:
Chick,

Assuming you received these sacraments from a military chaplain, go to the website of the Archdiocese for the Military Services of the US (the Military Ordinariate). There is an online form by which one can obtain copies of any needed sacramental records to document sacraments received during their US military service. Go to:

milarch.org/resources/pop_sacramental_request.cfm

Many years,

Neil
Thanks for letting me know this existed! I never would have found it otherwise. 🙂

LC

Yes, you should have received documentation at the time of your Sacraments. Those who were responsible for bringing you into the Church should have in turn, asked you for your Baptismal certificate from wherever you had your Baptism before proceeding to Confirm you. There were a few in my RCIA class who were held up by former pastors in other denominations simply because they couldn’t provide proof of valid Baptism. I don’t know if the circumstances of your reception into the Church has bearing on these norms, perhaps so. In any case, your Baptismal certificate should be available through you childhood church and the other documents should be available through the Military Archdiocese link that Neil has provided. You should obtain all these documents, and keep them in a safe place. I’m kinda proud of mine since I too, received them as an adult!

Peace and all good,

Thomas2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back