Proper LOTH prayer times

• Thread starter Thread starter lablover
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lablover

When I answered the poll about who prays the liturgy of the hours, I read some of the responses. One person mentioned that Morning Prayer should be prayed before the Mass of the day. I’ve been doing LOTH since 1977, but I must have missed that one. I know Evening Prayer should be done before the Saturday evening Mass, but is it true about Morning Prayer?

Does that only apply if you’ll be attending the Mass of the day? And what if it’s really early, so that you have time to get up and get to it, but not time to do MP before then? I know; there are always the other hours, but I hate to miss MP. Also, a friend and I like to do MP together, and we usually do it after morning Mass. I suppose none of this makes much difference, since we’re doing it privately. Maybe the “correct” time for MP is only an issue when it’s done in a public setting?

40.png
lablover:
When I answered the poll about who prays the liturgy of the hours, I read some of the responses. One person mentioned that Morning Prayer should be prayed before the Mass of the day. I’ve been doing LOTH since 1977, but I must have missed that one. I know Evening Prayer should be done before the Saturday evening Mass, but is it true about Morning Prayer?

Does that only apply if you’ll be attending the Mass of the day? And what if it’s really early, so that you have time to get up and get to it, but not time to do MP before then? I know; there are always the other hours, but I hate to miss MP. Also, a friend and I like to do MP together, and we usually do it after morning Mass. I suppose none of this makes much difference, since we’re doing it privately. Maybe the “correct” time for MP is only an issue when it’s done in a public setting?
I think your last sentence is probably correct.

I could find only indirect support for this in the General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours #97, which mentions occasions when a daytime hour or evening prayer follows Mass, but makes no similar mention of morning prayer.

tee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back