Protestant Books

  • Thread starter Thread starter cmscms
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cmscms

Guest
I have often read a lot of protestant books. They are usually about how to have a relationship with God. I must admit, there is always a concern that something in the book is against the Catholic church if it does not have ‘imprimatur’ on it since I am not 100% konwledgeable about the Catholic faith. Sometimes they have chapters about divroced people dating which I just skip (since I know that is wrong).

I was telling a good Catholic friend that about this. I told her the main reason is because the sad truth of the matter is, there is a lack of good Catholic books on how to lead our daily lives and IMO protestants have a lot more good authors. Well… she seemed very concerned/offended that I do this.

I also tried to say that just because it was written by a protestant, it does not 100% guarantee it is against the teachings of the Catholic church. The reality is, if I can read a book that will help me have more faith and trust in God, while still 100% believing the Catholic church is the one true church, why on earth would it matter who wrote it???

So just curious, but how do other feel about a Catholic reading books from a protestant author? Please give reason for your opinion

Thanks

CM
 
I have often read a lot of protestant books. They are usually about how to have a relationship with God. I must admit, there is always a concern that something in the book is against the Catholic church if it does not have ‘imprimatur’ on it since I am not 100% konwledgeable about the Catholic faith. Sometimes they have chapters about divroced people dating which I just skip (since I know that is wrong).

I was telling a good Catholic friend that about this. I told her the main reason is because the sad truth of the matter is, there is a lack of good Catholic books on how to lead our daily lives and IMO protestants have a lot more good authors. Well… she seemed very concerned/offended that I do this.

I also tried to say that just because it was written by a protestant, it does not 100% guarantee it is against the teachings of the Catholic church. The reality is, if I can read a book that will help me have more faith and trust in God, while still 100% believing the Catholic church is the one true church, why on earth would it matter who wrote it???

So just curious, but how do other feel about a Catholic reading books from a protestant author? Please give reason for your opinion

Thanks

CM
I don’t think it’s necessarily wrong to read Protestant books, but I certainly would not recommend reading them to the exclusion of good Catholic books. Why do you think there is a lack of good Catholic books? Have you read The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis, or Way of Perfection by St. Teresa of Avila, or Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Lisieux, or Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales, or True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis de Montfort, or the Diary of St. Faustina (not to mention the Bible)? And those are just a few of the best Catholic books, I’m sure others can provide their own recommendations.
 
I don’t think it’s necessarily wrong to read Protestant books, but I certainly would not recommend reading them to the exclusion of good Catholic books. Why do you think there is a lack of good Catholic books? Have you read The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis, or Way of Perfection by St. Teresa of Avila, or Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Lisieux, or Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales, or True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis de Montfort, or the Diary of St. Faustina (not to mention the Bible)? And those are just a few of the best Catholic books, I’m sure others can provide their own recommendations.
I did start to read the Diary of St Faustina and must admit, I never finished it. Although that is a great book, it is not what I am looking for. I find that most Catholic books, (like the Diary of St Faustina) are an interesting biography. There is nothing wrong with that. But that is not what I am looking for. I want more of a self-help type of book

For example, I read ‘When to say no and when to say yes’ by Cloud and Townsend. I found that gave me a lot of practical advice for my day to day living. Those are the books I want to read. I am currently unemployed and I need something to give me strenght in my job search and it has been my experience Protestant books have a better selection for things like that

CM
 
I did start to read the Diary of St Faustina and must admit, I never finished it. Although that is a great book, it is not what I am looking for. I find that most Catholic books, (like the Diary of St Faustina) are an interesting biography. There is nothing wrong with that. But that is not what I am looking for. I want more of a self-help type of book

For example, I read ‘When to say no and when to say yes’ by Cloud and Townsend. I found that gave me a lot of practical advice for my day to day living. Those are the books I want to read. I am currently unemployed and I need something to give me strenght in my job search and it has been my experience Protestant books have a better selection for things like that

CM
Have you been to a good Catholic bookstore lately? You have to look in the right places! 🙂 There are plenty of Catholic books on just about every subject. Granted, with our emphasis on prayer, the saints, and the sacraments, it’s a little different from the Protestants’ wealth of self-help. We have “saint-help” books! LOL

I recommend Cloud and Townsend because they were the pathfinders on setting boundaries. They are Christian, but the book isn’t about spirituality per se. I think it’s fine to read Christian books about different subjects, but stay away from the purely theological ones. I used to listen to Protestant radio shows but I no longer do, because their perspective is not that of my Church and I recognize it. It’s not worth my time to have to sort through their error-filled theology.
 
Have you been to a good Catholic bookstore lately? You have to look in the right places! 🙂 There are plenty of Catholic books on just about every subject. Granted, with our emphasis on prayer, the saints, and the sacraments, it’s a little different from the Protestants’ wealth of self-help. We have “saint-help” books! LOL

I recommend Cloud and Townsend because they were the pathfinders on setting boundaries. They are Christian, but the book isn’t about spirituality per se. I think it’s fine to read Christian books about different subjects, but stay away from the purely theological ones. I used to listen to Protestant radio shows but I no longer do, because their perspective is not that of my Church and I recognize it. It’s not worth my time to have to sort through their error-filled theology.
There are no Catholic book stores in my town. And I have looked all over Amazon and I don’t find many that are of interest to me.

As much as Cloud and Townsend may not be spirituality per se, they are exactly the type of books I want. How to live your day to day life while making reference to the bible. They often quote the bible and show arguments in favour of boundaries. They don’t believe in the modern theory of me me me and whatever you are comfortable with is OK.
 
I think it’s ok to read protestant books as long as you have a sound knowledge of the Catholic faith. I myself listen to a protestant radio station (no catholic station nearby that I can tune in, and I don’t have Sirius). It is sometimes aggravating however, when there are people who bash other faiths or whatever. I find th radio station to be uplifting since it’s all I have available to me.

Just know what you’re reading or listening to. :o
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top