Protestant churches with Catholic Aesthetic

• Thread starter Thread starter Theu2026
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Theu2026

What are the Protestant churches that in their aesthetics (architectural style, stained glass and statues) can be easily confused with the Catholic?

Anglo-Catholic (Anglican), Old/Independent Catholic (e.g. Polish National Catholic Church), some Lutheran Churches.

Regarding Lutheran churches, historically and traditionally, Evangelical Catholic parishes (Lutheran) painted their doors red to help people distinguish them from (Roman) Catholic churches. The church I grew up (not the one pictured) in had three red doors, and stained glass windows.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

What are the Protestant churches that in their aesthetics (architectural style, stained glass and statues) can be easily confused with the Catholic?
I expect that would rather depend on what country you were in?

I live in England and virtually all the old ‘classic’ churches are Anglican, meanwhile I’ve spent quite a lot of time in Italy and virtually all churches are Catholic whether their architecture is majestic or brutal.

This is the anglo-catholic cathedral in my current city, I guess it will fit the description.

Primarily Anglican/ Episcopalian. (In UK, the old pre-Reformation Anglican cathedrals and churches were actually built as Catholic churches and then seized from the Church.)

Perhaps, Lutheran.

That’s about it.

Last edited:
Where I live, Catholic churches were seized at Reformation. As a result, the Reformed churches here do look a bit Catholic.

May I enquire which cathedral it is. As I understand it Anglo-Catholics here in the UK do not possess any cathedrals, or rather none of the cathedrals of the four Anglican churches in these islands are Anglo-Catholic.

From my perspective any Anglican church built prior to the Reformation in the British Isles will have the architectural style you mention as they were originally built for the Catholic Church.

Even later Anglican churches here will have a Catholic style. Even those built in the Georgian era. We have a beautiful catholic church in the city I live near that was built in Georgian times and has Georgian architecture.

Then in Victorian times the Anglicans (and we Catholics) built churches in what is called the Neo-Gothic style. From the 1960s onwards both Anglicans and Catholics built some very ugly churches.

Anglicans use stain glass as well so they match the Catholic Church in that as well as architecture.

As for statues that would depend on the style of the particular church. Only those who describe themselves as being in the Catholic tradition (Anglo-Catholics, Liberal Catholics) will have statues.

Some Anglo-Catholic churches could very easily be confused with a Catholic church, especially one that leaned towards the Extraordinary Form of the liturgy.

Rather lacking in religious art. Sure the form is consistent, beyond that, it would never have appeared as a Catholic church to any Catholics pre VII.

Yes, this is true.

This particular church is an example of how inconsistent in this regard the Reformation was. All statues were removed but the secular (and beautiful) 15th century cenotaph. Then, during a 19th century restoration, the damaged stained glass windows were taken down and replaced with representations of the twelve Apostles (good thing Farel wasn’t there any longer).

Last edited:
St George Cathedral in Perth, I was baptised and confirmed there. The church affirms immaculate conception and has a daily eucharistic service. Apart from that, there are three crucifixes, one at the entrance, one near the altar and another one at the chapel.

From the pictures I have seen, there is nothing much to like about the interior. But opinions do very.

I cannot find Christ the King Cathedral in Liverpool aesthetically pleasing from the exterior. However, internally it is not as bad as some 1960s monstrosities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back