Protestants and the RSV

  • Thread starter Thread starter dcana
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dcana

Guest
Does anyone know why it is that most Protestants seem to have an outright aversion to the Revised Standard Version of the Bible? Just as an example, on the website BibleGateway.com, you can look up Scripture quotes from no less than 22 English versions of the Bible, but not the RSV. Of course, I can understand why they wouldn’t have the NAB, but what’s the deal with the RSV?

Also, what are some of the common criticisms by Catholics of the RSV?

Peace
 
This doesn’t exactly answer your question, but I can tell you that as a convert (I was raised Southern Baptist) the RCV-CE immediately became my favorite Bible. My head was full of memory verses that had been there since childhood and at first the change when I’d hear different versions was rather jarring (silly, I know!) but the RSV-CE’s wording, was very close to what I’d grown up with. The Douay Rheims became a close second! I’m interested to see the other answers here to your question too!
 
I am not sure there is a Protestant aversion to the RSV - there is a significant subset of Protestantism that is passionately KJV-only (including some who believe the translation is uniquely inspired). And most other U.S. Protestants today have (inexplicably, to me) moved to the NIV. But before the NIV there were lots of mainstream and evangelical Protestant churches using the RSV.

I think I remember reading that there is a copyright issue with RSV, which is why it is not included in most of the online and on cd Bible searches. (It’s not in Biblios, either, which is much more comprehensive than Biblegateway).
 
In the UK the RSV had just fallen out of use by the late 1970’s, so perhaps its just not what people “imprinted” on when they were growing up anymore?
 
In the UK the RSV had just fallen out of use by the late 1970’s, so perhaps its just not what people “imprinted” on when they were growing up anymore?
Is the NIV as rampant in the UK as it has become here? Or what translations are popular?
 
Is the NIV as rampant in the UK as it has become here? Or what translations are popular?
My experiance is as follows:

The New Jersusalem seems to be the main Catholic bible in use in churches. It (or perhaps its the original JB) is used in the Missal here also in mainstream (ie Non EF/traddie) churches.

The Church of England uses anything from the KJV/RSV, New English Bible (not so much now). Not sure which translation is in their lectionary readings.

I asked my Dad who is a Church of England Vicar about the NIV but he didnt think the CofE ever used it much. He uses the Common Bible for study.

Charismatc protestants used to use the Good News bible a lot- dont know about these days though.

I’m not sure what evangelic protestants use as a whole.

I sometimes watch (with horror) the tele-evangelists on TV- it always surprises me that they seem to use KJV.

In the UK the KJV was always Church of England (ie conservative) and evangelical protestants shunned it.

I dont know how popular the NKJV or NRSV are.

cheers
 
Does anyone know why it is that most Protestants seem to have an outright aversion to the Revised Standard Version of the Bible? Just as an example, on the website BibleGateway.com, you can look up Scripture quotes from no less than 22 English versions of the Bible, but not the RSV. Of course, I can understand why they wouldn’t have the NAB, but what’s the deal with the RSV?
maybe problem (just one for example) might be the way Isaiah 7:14 was translated:

RSV Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, a young woman shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanu-el.

-versus-

KJV Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
read about the controversy at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revised_Standard_Version
 
maybe problem (just one for example) might be the way Isaiah 7:14 was translated:

RSV Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, a young woman shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanu-el.

-versus-

KJV Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
read about the controversy at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revised_Standard_Version
didnt they fix that in the RSV 2nd edition?
 
maybe problem (just one for example) might be the way Isaiah 7:14 was translated:

RSV Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, a young woman shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanu-el.

-versus-

KJV Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
read about the controversy at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revised_Standard_Version
More good stuff here on why certain evangelical Protestants eschew the RSV.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top