Protostants finnally recognise Mary?

• Thread starter Thread starter riverman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

riverman

A great Catholic friend of mine at work said he heard of a very famous Protostant say that they missedthe boat when it comes to Mary. He said it was a big name like Billie Grahm or somehting like that. Has anyone else heard of this?

I am sure that many more Protestants are revisiting their opinions about Mary, due in part to the recent movie the Passion of the Christ by Mel Gibson as well as the many articles appearing in the popular magazines like Time. Sometimes it takes just time…for all of our Protestant brothers to be moved by the Holy Spirit to recognize the importance of Mary, and why we ask her for her prayerful intercession. Catholics do not worship Mary. But she definitely is here when we pray for her intervention.

Hey guys, whats the response to a protestant saying:

You do worship Mary, look at the beginning of the Hail Mary

“Hail Mary”- this is proof you worship Mary, or along those lines.

??

40.png
Magicsilence:
Hey guys, whats the response to a protestant saying:

You do worship Mary, look at the beginning of the Hail Mary

“Hail Mary”- this is proof you worship Mary, or along those lines.

??
Sounds good, but if we worship Mary than so did Mary’s friend Elizabeth because we’re just quoting her.

Alan

We do NOT worship Mary. We WORSHIP God. Mary does not forgive our sins - GOD does. We ask Mary to intercede for us - for whom else would be closer to God. We believe that Mary is a very, very special person and we want (expecially women) to use her as a role model of Christian Life.

Who bore the Son of God? Not I, you, nor any “sinner”. It was Mary - chosen by GOD - to bear his Son.

Who could Jesus love most? His Father AND his Mother. Who did Jesus confide in most? His Father AND his Mother. What human was closest to our Savior? MARY.
The misunderstanding about Mary arises from the fact that Protestants pray only directly to God,whom they also “worship”. So that Protestants confuse “praying to” with “worshipping”.

Worshipping means to recognize as the source of all things and of all good.

Praying is asking God, directly or through his friends, to grant us something we desire.

Catholics honor Mary, thus fulfilling the prophecy in Luke 1: “All generations shall call me blessed.”

In our catechesis on the spiritual motherhood of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we have seen that Jesus, on Calvary, entrusted Mary to the Apostle John to be the Mother of all his disciples. Jesus’ words - “Behold, your Mother!” (Jn 19:27) - help us to see that the Church’s devotion to Mary is based on the Lord’s own will that all his followers should share his filial love for his Mother. As the history of Christian piety makes clear, Mary is the way which leads to Christ. The veneration of Mary increases and perfects our closeness to her Son, our Saviour and Lord. It is significant that Jesus entrusted Mary to his disciples at the hour of his death on the Cross, at the supreme moment of his redemptive mission. Like Saint John, the Beloved Disciple, may all Christians receive Mary into their own homes (cf. Jn 19:27), sharing with her the concerns and events of their lives. Thus they will appreciate ever more fully her role as example and guide along the way of salvation in Christ. (Quoted from the Vatican website, www.vatican.va)

Finally, it was not Elizabeth but by Gabriel, the angel of the God, “Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.” In short, Mary’s grace was so full , “full of grace”, complete, powerful, strong and perfect that even the angel of God had to properly address her first with “Hail”. “The Lord is with thee”, Mary enjoyed freedom of sin and corruption, “The Immaculate Conception”, her Motherhood of Jesus, her perpetual virginity, and the decent of the Holy Spirit along with the Apostles. It is only a fitting compliment that Mary’s “full of grace” body and soul be privilege to received "The Assumption and the glorification in heaven with the “Coronation”. “Hail Mary” on earth and in heaven.

I like to pretend that I am the disciple Jesus loved. Technically Jesus loves us, so if I am in fact His disciple maybe it’s not so much of a stretch? It sounds prideful but I think it’s more like play-acting. Like I’m a little kid dressing up in Dad’s shoes, wearing his coat and hat and holding his pipe in my teeth.

I pretend other things, too. I want to know what it’s like to be other people in situations I was never in or expect to be in the future. This is how I wish to live my life vicariously through all those people who harbor traits I notice and admire.

You see, when I see other people who I like more than myself, my mind goes to work trying to figure out how to “steal” that aspect of them. One thing I do to try to understand someone is to see if I can walk a mile with them – either in their shoes or as friends while they relay the story to me. If they are public figures, then I try to figure out what the highest level abstraction is that people see in that person. Are they seeing the love of Christ, the forgiveness of Christ, intellectual prowess, the peace the Holy Church can bring, or what, when they look at that person and want to keep looking – for example by leaving the TV tuned to them.

Here’s one of my strategies. I take other people’s stories and imagine myself in the place of the characters.
NOT john 19:
When Jesus saw his mother and Alan, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son.” Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother.” And from that hour Alan took her into his home.
Try it with your own name in there. If that weirds you out, take my advice from it.

Of course I stand up for my Mother. Christ gave me a mother to take care of and she lives in my house. That must mean that I am now officially His brother since we share the same mother. Even most criminals defend their worldly mothers against attack, and maintain close connections with them. How much more would we wish to defend our heavenly Mother?

I’m a sinner; does that make me a bit like a criminal? Now what is it you had to say about my Mother again?

Of course I try to remain charitable, but if it sounds like you wish to interfere with my relationship with my Mother, sometimes I get a little testy. For that I apologize in advance, but please don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Alan

40.png
riverman:
A great Catholic friend of mine at work said he heard of a very famous Protostant say that they missedthe boat when it comes to Mary. He said it was a big name like Billie Grahm or somehting like that. Has anyone else heard of this?

Some thoughts:​

One has to ask, “Which Protestants ?”, and “Where?” & “What is meant by “recognising” her ?”

If “recognising” her means “accepting all the CC POV on her” - then this “recognition” is exceedingly unlikely. If what is meant is “accepting as valid certain elements of the RC/Orthodox POV on her” - that is much more likely: certain Protestant bodies have always done this anyway: at least in their liturgical life; though she has not been of much importance as an object of devotion.

The situation is complicated, because it is not clear whether we are talking about her place in dogmatic theolgy, in Biblical theology, in the Liturgy, in popular devotion. FWIW, there is at least a sociological distinction in RCism between Liturgical life and devotional life: in Protestantism, this division is generally much less marked.

Mary has received much more attention from Protestants than is realised by some Catholics - but this is not in itself a guarantee that she occupies the same function in the structure of the Christian faith in the two religions. It could reasonably be argued that she has tended in RCism to overshadow the Holy Spirit: precisely because she is so powerful a religious symbol. So Christianities which emphasise her less intensely, might reasonably be expected, either to emphasise some other element in Christianity; or to have a more pronounced emphasis on the Holy Spirit; or both.

James Barr suggests, in his book “Fundamentalism”, that she occupies in RCism much the same position in the structure of the religion as the Bible does in Fundamentalism: both function as the supreme religious symbol next after Christ. If this is true - and as a description of British Fundamentalism at least it may well be - then it would follow that she has a lower, or less powerful, religious function in British Fundamentalism than in (say) British Catholicism. (IMO USA Fundamentalism looks less religious, and more overtly political, than its British counterpart. Perhaps a Protestant can comment on this ?) ##

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back