Prudence in Action

• Thread starter Thread starter EsclavoDeCristo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EsclavoDeCristo

This is a link to a chapter of Thomas A Kemis’ Imitation of Christ in which he discusses prudence. I need to read this every day! God bless you all.

ccel.org/k/kempis/imitation2/htm/ONE.4.htm

Prudence in Action

DO NOT yield to every impulse and suggestion but consider things carefully and patiently in the light of God’s will. For very often, sad to say, we are so weak that we believe and speak evil of others rather than good. Perfect men, however, do not readily believe every talebearer, because they know that human frailty is prone to evil and is likely to appear in speech.

Not to act rashly or to cling obstinately to one’s opinion, not to believe everything people say or to spread abroad the gossip one has heard, is great wisdom.

Take counsel with a wise and conscientious man. Seek the advice of your betters in preference to following your own inclinations.

A good life makes a man wise according to God and gives him experience in many things, for the more humble he is and the more subject to God, the wiser and the more at peace he will be in all things.

Dear Esclavo,

How dear and close to mine, were your thoughts on this subject these last few days. I rarely begin a thread, but I was pondering whether or not to initiate this subject, and stumbled upon yours. Maybe the Holy Spirit is speaking to some of us, for I admit that it has deeply upset me, and it must surely grieve the Lord.
40.png
You:
For very often, sad to say, we are so weak that we believe and speak evil of others rather than good. Perfect men, however, do not readily believe every talebearer, because they know that human frailty is prone to evil and is likely to appear in speech.
It seems to me that it is more than an issue of prudence to, “not yield to every impulse and suggestion.” Rather, a decision of refusing to judge the actions of others, no matter what. I am thinking of a person who believes he/she is very holy and close to God, always striving and professing to love his/her neighbors and work for unity. Yet at the smallest indication of possible wrong-doing, this person is ready to judge the most trivial actions of their neighbors in an unfavorable, negative light.

Thence comes the condescending, yet ever-so-charitable remonstrance in the name of Christ, as this person strives to correct the wrong-doer. It is so grievous to be the on the receiving end of this person’s attempts to remove the speck from our eye, while the beam of rash judgment is clearly being carried within their spirit. And my prayer goes up, how long O Lord? Open this person’s eyes to see!

Judge not.

Yet that is what we are prone to do, ever since Adam. How wise are Kempis’s words, and we all do well to listen to him.

required reading for everyone who registers here, before posting will be accepted (self included, self most of all)

40.png
puzzleannie:
required reading for everyone who registers here, before posting will be accepted (self included, self most of all)
I surely could use a daily dose of this… I know “The Little Flower” loved The Imitation…
Annunciata:)

Annunciata,

Speaking of St. Therese, I remember an incident where she was doing an act of purest love by holding back a kindness so another Sister could have the honor of performing it, rather than Therese herself. Of course, God will reward her heart, but the Sister, holding the error of imprudent judgment, replied that nothing better could be expected of Therese, who was such a slowpoke.

I’m reminded also of the censure of worldlings that Jesus spoke about in Mt. 11:17-18, "for John the Baptist appeared neither eating nor drinking, and people called Him mad; whereas, the Son of Man appeared eating and drinking, and they said, “this one is a glutton and a drunkard.”

Darned if you do, and darned if you don’t . . .

But the Lord, who sees our hasty, ill-formed judgments, works continuously to help us purify our minds and keep our thoughts about others in a charitable light, always ready to believe good of them, rather than evil. Wouldn’t this be a beautiful world if all of us do that?

40.png
Joysong:
Annunciata,

…But the Lord, who sees our hasty, ill-formed judgments, works continuously to help us purify our minds and keep our thoughts about others in a charitable light, always ready to believe good of them, rather than evil. Wouldn’t this be a beautiful world if all of us do that?
Indeed it would be a truly wonderful world!
I was brought up from childhood to try to always see the the good in people or in a situation that was dubious… I don’t always succeed, but I try… I think that is why I like Mother Theresa of Calcutta’s saying:
“You needn’t be successful in things, only to be faithful”…
God Bless,
Annunciata:)

Annunciata,
I was brought up from childhood to try to always see the the good in people or in a situation that was dubious.
How blessed you are to have parental training such as this! I admire your father and mother. They must be very special!

Some people have become so ingrained with years of negative thinking within the family that it is habitual and very difficult to break the pattern. I was not so fortunate, and it took me a long time and the help of much grace to overcome it. I still have to work at it whenever these mind-slips occur.

St. Therese said she used to present to God all the hidden virtues of a person, and thank Him for bestowing them, even though she couldn’t see them. She was sure this would please Him and made it her practice whenever she was tempted to think ill of another.
What a saint!

40.png
Joysong:
…Thence comes the condescending, yet ever-so-charitable remonstrance in the name of Christ, as this person strives to correct the wrong-doer. It is so grievous to be the on the receiving end of this person’s attempts to remove the speck from our eye, while the beam of rash judgment is clearly being carried within their spirit. And my prayer goes up, how long O Lord? Open this person’s eyes to see!

Judge not.

Yet that is what we are prone to do, ever since Adam. How wise are Kempis’s words, and we all do well to listen to him.
I too see this in many of my friends and family. I start to get all agrivated and worked up about it until I realize, hey, thats me that I see in them! I thank God everyday for His infinite mercy and love for me a poor sinner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back