Psalms 51

  • Thread starter Thread starter MorningSong51
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MorningSong51

Guest
I wanted to share some thoughts on this Psalm - I found this article and thought that the words were so encouraging… :tissues:

“O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise”

A toddler thinks that she cannot walk, but she can. A child fears he will never swim, but he will. Each of us is aware of our abilities and potential, and we all experience fear, doubt and hesitation. Many of our limitations in life are more perceived than real. Often, it is only phantoms that are holding us back. In Hebrew the word for lips is the same as the word for banks, as in river banks. **The banks of a river define its limits. **When we say “God, open my lips,” we are also saying, “God, help me to see beyond my perceived limitations. Help me to see all the way to the horizon of my potential.”
Code:
I will create time in my life to nurture my soul.
Life is a gift I received; I will find a way to "give something back."
Link: The Rosh Hashanah Survival Kit

"10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 11 Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. 13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you. 14 Save me from bloodguilt, O God, the God who saves me, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.

15 O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise"
 
read this also-

O Lord, open thou my lips - That is, by taking away my guilt; by giving me evidence that my sins are forgiven; by taking this burden from me, and filling my heart with the joy of pardon. The original word is in the future tense, but the meaning is well expressed in our common translation. There was, in fact, at the same time a confident expectation that God “would” thus open his lips, and a desire that he should do it.

And my mouth shall show forth thy praise - Or, I will praise thee. Praise is the natural expression of the feelings when the sense of sin is removed.
 
read this also-

O Lord, open thou my lips - That is, by taking away my guilt; by giving me evidence that my sins are forgiven; by taking this burden from me, and filling my heart with the joy of pardon. The original word is in the future tense, but the meaning is well expressed in our common translation. There was, in fact, at the same time a confident expectation that God “would” thus open his lips, and a desire that he should do it.

And my mouth shall show forth thy praise - Or, I will praise thee. Praise is the natural expression of the feelings when the sense of sin is removed.
Nicely put…

CHAPTER I
  1. Accept this sacrifice of my confessions from the hand of my tongue. Thou didst form it and hast prompted it to praise thy name. Heal all my bones and let them say, “O Lord, who is like unto thee?”[120] It is not that one who confesses to thee instructs thee as to what goes on within him.** For the closed heart does not bar thy sight into it, nor does the hardness of our heart hold back thy hands, for thou canst soften it at will, either by mercy or in vengeance, “and there is no one who can hide himself from thy heat.”[121] But let my soul praise thee, that it may love thee, and let it confess thy mercies to thee, that it may praise thee. Thy whole creation praises thee without ceasing: the spirit of man, by his own lips, by his own voice, lifted up to thee**; animals and lifeless matter by the mouths of those who meditate upon them. Thus our souls may climb out of their weariness toward thee and lean on those things which thou hast created and pass through them to thee, who didst create them in a marvelous way. With thee, there is refreshment and true strength.

    St. Augustine Confessions - Book Five
 
That was nice

I havnt read enough Augustine

I didnt know i could read his book Confessions online,

Praise God
 
That was nice

I havnt read enough Augustine

I didnt know i could read his book Confessions online,

Praise God
Augustine is a favorite of mine for many reasons -

“In matters that are so obscure and far beyond our vision, we find in Holy Scripture passages which can be interpreted in very different ways without prejudice to the faith we have received. In such cases, we should not rush in headlong and so firmly take our stand on the side that, if further progress in the search for truth justly undermines our position, we too fall with it. We should not battle for our own interpretation but for the teaching of the Holy Scripture. We should not wish to conform the meaning of Holy Scripture to our interpretation, but our interpretation to the meaning of Holy Scripture.” [Augustine of Hippo, quoted in Alister E. McGrath, The Foundations of Dialogue in Science and Religion, 119]

and to compliment the above, please read: (LINK)

“Do you then, my son, diligently apply yourself to the reading of the sacred Scriptures. Apply yourself, I say. For we who read the things of God need much application, lest we should say or think anything too rashly about them. And applying yourself thus to the study of the things of God, with faithful prejudgments such as are well pleasing to God, knock at its locked door, and it will be opened to you by the porter, of whom Jesus says, To him the porter opens. And applying yourself thus to the divine study, seek aright, and with unwavering trust in God, the meaning of the holy Scriptures, which so many have missed. Be not satisfied with knocking and seeking; for prayer is of all things indispensable to the knowledge of the things of God. For to this the Saviour exhorted, and said not only, Knock, and it shall be opened to you; and seek, and you shall find, but also, Ask, and it shall be given unto you. My fatherly love to you has made me thus bold; but whether my boldness be good, God will know, and His Christ, and all partakers of the Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ. May you also be a partaker, and be ever increasing your inheritance, that you may say not only, We have become partakers of Christ, but also partakers of God.” [Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. 4. Edited by Alexander Roberts, James Donaldson, and A. Cleveland Coxe.]
 
Have you read City of God and all of Confessions?

How many books does he have?
 
Have you read City of God and all of Confessions?

How many books does he have?
I’m not sure but there were some that I have read up on:
  • De Doctrina Christiana: A Classic of Western Culture (Studies in Judaism and Christianity in Antiquity)
  • Allegorical interpretations of Genesis "“The Literal Interpretation of Genesis”
Side note: Maimonides - A Guide for the Perplexed/Maimonides and Nachmanides
I favor Maimonides - I can’t seem to focus to alot on Nachmanides

I’m trying to buy some books written by Pope Benedict XVI:
  • God Is Near Us: The Eucharist, the Heart of Life (Ignatius, 2003)
  • Jesus of Nazareth ISBN 0-385-52341-6 (Doubleday, 2007)
  • The Apostles ISBN 978-1-59276-405-1 (Our Sunday Visitor, 2007)
  • Jesus of Nazareth: Holy Week – From the Entrance Into Jerusalem to the Resurrection (website) ISBN 9781586175009 (Ignatius, 2011)
and others that are written by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin

Borders is going out of business and selling books right now at 20% off - I’m waiting for at least 40%- my pocket book may not wait.

As you can tell I like to read Genesis…

Blessings,
Mary
 
I like to read books about the Angels,Padre Pio and St Francis and of course the Gospels:p

God Bless
 
I like to read books about the Angels,Padre Pio and St Francis and of course the Gospels:p

God Bless
Awhile back I did read “Secrets of a Soul: Padre Pio’s Letters… by Gianluigi Pasquale” its a good book. However, I have to tell you that after reading the book, at night, I said some prayers and the next day I found, underneath my pillow, a rather small piece of paper that had the prayer of Jude written on it that I carry around in my wallet. I wondered if Padre Pio has a sense of humor…:hmmm:
 
In Hebrew the word for lips is the same as the word for banks, as in river banks. **The banks of a river define its limits. **When we say “God, open my lips,” we are also saying, “God, help me to see beyond my perceived limitations. Help me to see all the way to the horizon of my potential.”
👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top