Psalms, Daniel, Esther in Douay-Rheims Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter Big_Dummy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Big_Dummy

Guest
Ok, as I understand it, the catholic bible, Douay-Rheims Bible contains seven books, Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Joshua Son of Sirach (Ecclesiasticus), Baruch, First Maccabees and Second Maccabees.

I hear there are “extra” chapters in Esther, Daniel and Psalms.

Using the Douay-Rheims Bible, what are the exact references

example: Daniel 3:18-36

for those verses and chapters?

Thanks
BD
 
Ok, as I understand it, the catholic bible, Douay-Rheims Bible contains seven books, Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Joshua Son of Sirach (Ecclesiasticus), Baruch, First Maccabees and Second Maccabees.

I hear there are “extra” chapters in Esther, Daniel and Psalms.

Using the Douay-Rheims Bible, what are the exact references

example: Daniel 3:18-36

for those verses and chapters?

Thanks
BD
Daniel ch 13 abd ch 14
Esther 10:4-16:24
 
.

I hear there are “extra” chapters in … Psalms.

Using the Douay-Rheims Bible, what are the exact references

…
for those verses and chapters?

Thanks
BD
The “extra” chapter in Psalms is not really an extra Psalm. It results from a difference in how the Psalms were numbered.

Psalm 9 in RSV = Psalm 9:1-21 in Douay Rheims
Psalm 10 in RSV = Psalm 9:22-39 in Douay Rheims

What is Psalm 9 in the Protestant bibles is broken down into 2 separate psalms in the Douay Rheims. Footnote from my Bible:
Ver. 21. Here the late Hebrew doctors divide this psalm into two, making ver. 22 the beginning of Psalm 10. And again they join Psalms 146 and 147 into one, in order that the whole number of psalms should not exceed 150. And in this manner the psalms are numbered in the Protestant Bible.

So, after the midpoint of Psalm 9 in the Douay, the Protestant bibles will be 1 number greater — until Psalm 146.
Numbering and words agree from Psalm 1 through 8 and then again from Psalm 147 thru 150. Inbetween they differ.
At least that is how I interpret the footnote.

P.S. The Douay follows the Septuagint, I believe. The Protestant numbering follows the later Hebrew Masoretic numbering.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top