Psychic question

• Thread starter Thread starter Jzeajules
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jzeajules

Is it bad to contact a psychic for a reading? I’m very low in my life, vulnerable with no one to talk to and not much hope for my future. I thought it might give me a little hope. But part of me thinks it may be wrong

Thanks

Do not contact a psychic. We are not to try to contact spirits, the occult, etc. My opinion - they are either con artists or of satan. Talk with your Priest.

Yes I am Catholic. Maybe they would give me some words of encouragement or tell me something good will happen, or things will get better for me.

Yes, it’s forbidden. Explicitly and in numerous places. Have you tried prayer?

You have a void that no psychic is going to fill. Please consult with your priest and a counselor. I’ll pray for you!

Yes, it is totally against Catholic beliefs. Pray and pray some more and trust in God.

Last edited:
Maybe they would give me some words of encouragement or tell me something good will happen, or things will get better for me.
God has a plan for you. Put your trust in Him and you’ll see wonderful things.

Last edited:
Unbeliever here. Centuries of testing of ‘psychic’ claims have failed to produce any evidence of psychic powers of any sort.

In the Old Testament days, psychics/mediums were put to death. You should stay away from something that God sees as abominable.

Yes I am Catholic. Maybe they would give me some words of encouragement or tell me something good will happen, or things will get better for me.
If you’re a Catholic, then you shouldn’t be putting your faith in some false God like a psychic, or some forbidden occult practice, to make you feel better when you’re down. It’s phony and dangerous and will only mess you up worse than you already are. Don’t do it.

Jesus has some words of encouragement for you:
"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

(Matthew 11:28-30)
Remember that our God is a good Father: He loves you even more than you love yourself. And He knows what’s best for you. You can trust Him to lead you to what’s best for you, and you can lay your troubles before Him and let Him take them up.

God really does want joy for you, not sadness: it’s just that on this side of the vale of tears (before every tear is wiped away in the life to come), we are sort of being ‘made’, as it were. Forged in a fire. And the very process by which we are being made into creatures who will partake in greater glory, can feel uncomfortable and painful in the moment. Even Jesus wept. And in the garden of Gethsemane, he was so distressed he sweat blood.

And at the same time, it never stops being true that, as per Jeremiah 29:11:
For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
God means that for you personally. He plans good things for you, personally. He doesn’t plan you harm. He wants good things for you and is able to give them.

Just remember that in this life sometimes what’s best for us isn’t always immediately obvious from our own limited perspective. But in the big picture God is planning much better things for you than you could even imagine for yourself. You can trust him, and follow him. You can place your hope in him. Take his yoke upon yourself and remember what that means: he’s the stronger one and the guide, carrying the bulk of your burden and keeping you moving along a straight path.

Last edited:
People already replied to you about some of the spiritual dangers of contacting a psychic/medium. I would like to bring up to you a more practical problem. Often psychic/medium take advantages of people in a vulnerable situation and scam them. You may find yourself paying thousand of dollars to get a glimpse of hope. See below.

Last edited:
Even if it were spiritually safe, there are other reasons not to turn to psychics. Mainly because they are more masters of cold reading and parlor tricks than actual power. If you are looking for answers your money would be wasted there.

I had a coworker who visited a psychic fairly regularly. While she could have gotten the wrong idea, the psychic told her some things about her love life that led her to truly believe that her current boyfriend would propose to her by the end of the year. It was going to happen. The psychic said so. May as well start planning and looking at dresses. Maybe send the boyfriend a photo of a ring or two that she liked.

Well…the guy left her instead. She might have even scared him off with the certain marriage stuff. Either way she arrived at the office one day looking very hurt and very very confused. That was when I realized that even if psychics were perfectly safe I just don’t want to live my live under the delusion of a predictable future.

Talk to your priest or consider finding a therapist. It’s not a sign of weakness - lots of people use therapy these days. You can even do it over the phone.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church reckons consulting mediums to be a violation of the First Commandment:
2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone. (source)

Last edited:
Is it bad to contact a psychic for a reading?
Yes.
I’m very low in my life, vulnerable with no one to talk to and not much hope for my future.
Then the last thing you want to do is open yourself up to con artists. Psychics aren’t real.

Call your priest and speak to him of your spiritual troubles. Reach out in the community for help with depression.
I thought it might give me a little hope.
Hope does not come from psychic nonsense.

Talk to your priest. Put your hope in Christ.
But part of me thinks it may be wrong
Yes. It is wrong. And bad for you.

Even if it were spiritually safe, there are other reasons not to turn to psychics. Mainly because they are more masters of cold reading and parlor tricks than actual power. If you are looking for answers your money would be wasted there.
Yeah, many years ago I went to one because I was buying a necklace in a shop and somebody offered me a “free reading”. I was unaware at the time that the Church considered it a problem. The stuff I was told was so general, it was stuff that might or might not happen to anyone by coincidence. A lot of it was reading my reaction, and then adjusting the answer based on whether I reacted positively or negatively.

That was a fairly benign experience; for one thing, it didn’t cost me any money. I’ve heard of other people who get told by psychics they need to come back multiple times and pay the psychic a lot of money to be cleansed of whatever is bothering them. It just fosters superstition, like if something bad happens to the person they’ll relate it to something the psychic said or think they need more “cleansing” rather than just accepting that bad things happen in life sometimes, either by chance or because the person made a bad choice.

If you work with a psychic the best possible outcome is that they are a charlatan and you just get conned out of your money. Any benefit you actually did see would just be from changing things up and talking to someone. If that’s all you are getting why not talk to a priest or a therapist?

If you do somehow work with a ‘real’ psychic that’s much worse for you. Don’t invite unknown spirits and powers in.

Last edited:
I thought it might give me a little hope.
Philippians 4:6-7
Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God.
Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back